LaunchBox Community Forums

Plex Arcade

tribe fan

On 1/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, Jason Carr said:

The Retroarch team has been very clear that they do not want Retroarch used in this way. So basically, any company that does (including Plex) is doing so legally (at least *arguably* legally), but they're doing it against the wishes of the Retroarch team.

It's worth noting that we *did* reach out to the Retroarch team a while ago to discuss this as a possibility. They actively discouraged it.

Hey @Jason Carr! A RetroArch team member just reached out and has stated they have since softened their stance allowing the bundling of RetroArch and Libretro cores in commercial products. The biggest takeaway here is RetroArch could now be bundled in future releases of Launchbox! See here:

Edited by Hifihedgehog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hifihedgehog said:

Hey @Jason Carr! A RetroArch team member just reached out and has stated they have since softened their stance allowing the bundling of RetroArch and Libretro cores in commercial products. The biggest takeaway here is RetroArch could now be bundled in future releases of Launchbox! See here:

Well that's interesting. I don't really appreciate being thrown under the bus like that for something that was a simple mistake that we immediately corrected, but that is good news, if a bit backhanded. I will reach out to the Retroarch team, and if we receive the same response, we'll consider doing some further integration.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 11:59 AM, tribe fan said:

That really begs the question as to why it’s not implemented by more frontend projects. There’s a libretro core for virtually every retro console imaginable now. I don’t know anything about the coding aspects, but it would seem to greatly enhance the functionality of the frontend. Launchbox is incredible at what it does now, but I’d think implementing libretro cores directly would allow for more seamless game launching and the potential for other features native to the frontend (save states and input control to name two). I imagine it being an emulator GUI on steroids while simplifying a lot of retroarch’s more complex features (input lag, filters, etc.).

If this is addressed, this can lead to the next revolution of emulation where everything is seamless; cores are loaded smoothly in the front end, settings are automatically applied, etc. Things are "OK" now, but still kludgy and not fully "kisok" like yet.

On 4/2/2021 at 6:38 PM, Jason Carr said:

By the way, thank you for being a source of truth and stamping out any unnecessary drama there @Hifihedgehog.

The post on Reddit was pretty sharp considering Launchbox is one of the most popular front-ends out there; it's not like LB is a fringe product in the community. I'm glad the poster backed down... but now the door is open hopefully for the next evolution of LB :)

Edited by coolspot

I've spoken with hizzlekizzle on Reddit, and confirmed that it would be okay to integrate Retroarch so long as we obey the license. However, I still want to confirm with the rest of the entire core development team to make sure that there are no hard feelings before proceeding with something like this. I'm not interested in doing it if it's going to cause any kind of drama at all.

Hizzlekizzle recommended that I create a Github ticket in order to reach out to the team. I've done that here:

https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/12241

Hopefully the responses are all positive, and then we can proceed here soon.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

This is awesome, awesome news. So the plan is to have Launchbox directly manage RetroArch instead of managing the cores directly (like Plex Arcade)? I would think the former should really speed up development time.

It'll be incredible to see how much more powerful Launchbox becomes in the not too distant future. I'm envisioning something similar to the NES/SNES Classic Minis for filter/save state integration (with slots).

I don't want to get too far ahead, but remote streaming would be incredible if it could ever be implemented as well. :)