LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to update or launch Bigbox

AlsatianCousin

Hi all

Just wondering whether anyone may be able to assist? On launching, I have the dialogue box advising that there is an update available but when I clink to update I get the following error message:-

"Launchbox is having trouble starting the setup application because it seems that another application (such as Dropbox) is using the file. Please try again or try downloading the latest version from the website to update"

I am unable to open Bigbox and get the same error message.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Have you tried shutting down dropbox with task manager or Uninstalling dropbox? I don't use dropbox but I'm sure you can always reinstall dropbox. Also it sounds like you moved Launchbox to dropbox as opposed to maybe your c-drive or hard disk. Have you tried moving Launchbox out of dropbox into your hard drive or onto an external?

11 hours ago, starfiretbt said:

Have you tried shutting down dropbox with task manager or Uninstalling dropbox? I don't use dropbox but I'm sure you can always reinstall dropbox. Also it sounds like you moved Launchbox to dropbox as opposed to maybe your c-drive or hard disk. Have you tried moving Launchbox out of dropbox into your hard drive or onto an external?

Thanks for the reply.

Dropbox isn't open and I don't have it installed. The error message says 'such as dropbox' which suggests it just assumes there is something else accessing the file. I haven't used dropbox or moved launchbox. All previous updates were completed fine with no issues and this is the first update I've ever experienced this problem. From other posts, it looks like it's not just me who has had this issue.

Looks like i won't be able to update until I find a workaround.....

11.9 is Garbage.  I've updated three times now, because it always at some point will quit launching.  BigBox will launch most of the time, but how are you to edit or configure without launchbox?  Have had to waste my time re-importing a HUGE collection twice now.  My advice is to stick with 11.8, and cross your fingers for the next update to work as it should.  Can't believe I dove right into this purchasing BigBox. . .

Edited by thykingviking

25 minutes ago, thykingviking said:

11.9 is Garbage.  I've updated three times now, because it always at some point will quit launching.  BigBox will launch most of the time, but how are you to edit or configure without launchbox?  Have had to waste my time re-importing a HUGE collection twice now.  My advice is to stick with 11.8, and cross your fingers for the next update to work as it should.  Can't believe I dove right into this purchasing BigBox. . .

OK, a couple of points here, 11.9 is just fine for the vast majority of people, i myself am using it just fine on my system and have had zero issue with it, so the issues may be specific to your PC, so would require some troubleshooting on your end, first guess is bad antivirus removing files after the first launch.

Secondly, there has been zero reason for you to re-import everything, Launchbox is a portable app and everything can just be copy/pasted from a old install to a new one. Maybe you should of come to the forums for help before you started messing with things and deleting things, you have only caused more work for yourself in doing so.

So, with that said. Can yo please provide OS version as well as your PC specs, and let us no if you are using any antivirus software, and have you checked said software to see if it has removed/quarantined any Launchbox files. And secondly do you have logging turned on in Launchbox, if so please provide said log, and finally you could also check Windows error reporting itself after trying to load Launchbox, and see if you find any error logs there as well.

Ok, yes I had to temporarily disable my fully purchased & licensed NORTON antivirus.  So.. Not a "bad antivirus."  Secondly, I was never "messing with things and deleting things."  I just uninstalled it again and reinstalled 11.8, and THIS time everything did pop right back up just fine, thankfully.  I wasn't trying to be a dick, but the difference in 11.8 & 11.9 seems to be a wave of troubleshooting.931642350_systemsettings.thumb.png.c2f7cfda91fa409ceb2ef2f1287b275d.png

Edited by thykingviking

2 minutes ago, thykingviking said:

Ok, yes I had to temporarily disable my fully purchased & licensed NORTON antivirus.  So.. Not a "bad antivirus."

That is highly debateable, any antivirus that deletes perfectly legitimate files, like is has here, is not worth a penny, let alone what it actually does cost. Norton is a bad product, as this case proves. The Windows defender that comes with Windows is a far better product, and free.

Im glad you figured it out in the end though, and that everything is working as it should now, but any hate as to why this happened should be aimed squarely at Symantec as their product is deleting perfectly fine files for seemingly no reason, as i can assure you Launchbox is 100% virus free, the company wouldnt go far if it was selling a product thats gives every user a virus.

To clarify this a bit, we've been fighting with Norton/Symantec for many versions. Every single time we come out with a new version, Norton finds some kind of false positive to complain about. It may not be a "bad product" in some sense, but it's like the boy who cried wolf. If it screams at the drop of a hat over nothing, then you'll never be able to trust it when you have an actual virus.

The issues you're experiencing (or experienced) here @thykingviking had everything to do with Norton, and are only experienced in that case. We highly recommend uninstalling Norton, because it will only continue to cause you problems.

55 minutes ago, thykingviking said:

Do you have any suggestions as a Norton alternative that works well with LB/BB other than Windows Defender?

We have experienced issues in the past with several other anti-virus apps, but generally, none of them have caused as many issues as Norton has. That said, we specifically recommend Windows Defender because it offers plenty of protection without causing massive performance issues or reporting ridiculous false positives. The consensus out there that "it's not good enough" is largely a bunch of lies and misinformation that is spread around by the various third-party anti-virus providers.

I'm getting into the weeds here, but most third-party anti-virus providers prey on users by spreading fear. One way that they do this is by introducing false positives. Users often think that their anti-virus product works better simply because it magically finds a "virus" and removes some files. Unfortunately, the majority of the viruses that are reported these days are false positives, and no anti-virus provider is ever held responsible for reporting any false positives.

Microsoft has largely come in and saved the day by introducing Windows Defender, simply because they don't have an agenda, or at least not an anti-virus agenda that is bad for consumers (we won't get into the other issues with Microsoft here lol). They just want Windows to work safely and properly, and obviously they know how to do it best because they develop the OS.

2 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

We have experienced issues in the past with several other anti-virus apps, but generally, none of them have caused as many issues as Norton has. That said, we specifically recommend Windows Defender because it offers plenty of protection without causing massive performance issues or reporting ridiculous false positives. The consensus out there that "it's not good enough" is largely a bunch of lies and misinformation that is spread around by the various third-party anti-virus providers.

I'm getting into the weeds here, but most third-party anti-virus providers prey on users by spreading fear. One way that they do this is by introducing false positives. Users often think that their anti-virus product works better simply because it magically finds a "virus" and removes some files. Unfortunately, the majority of the viruses that are reported these days are false positives, and no anti-virus provider is ever held responsible for reporting any false positives.

Microsoft has largely come in and saved the day by introducing Windows Defender, simply because they don't have an agenda, or at least not an anti-virus agenda that is bad for consumers (we won't get into the other issues with Microsoft here lol). They just want Windows to work safely and properly, and obviously they know how to do it best because they develop the OS.

Alright, I'll give it a go.  I appreciate your time and effort in your explanation, as it does make perfect sense!

• Like 1