LaunchBox Community Forums

rpcs3 and launchbox (pkg)

WInzen

Hey ...So using the following method I have mostly got ps3 working in LB.

I use emulator rpcs3 and in config / emulation /  - launch game after boot -  start game in fullscreen - exit when finish

then add the emulator to LB and autoscript :

$Esc::
{
    WinClose, ahk_exe {{{StartupEXE}}}
}

Then add your game via the eboot.bin and then rename it and add images etc.

It will then launch automatically and exit on escape.

BUT

if the game is  a digital game ... which is usually comprises of a .PKG (with a rap sometimes) then this system doesnt work :(

• SO I need to know how to trick LB into launching a pkg ?

Maybe adding a fake cue or iso or eboot or something!?  

Anyone....pls :)

7 hours ago, Koroth said:

First, in rpcs3 look what the game's Playstation serial is. Then you will find the EBOOT.bin in rpcs3\dev_hdd0\game\"your game's serial"\USRDIR.

thanks for reply. 

Where is the games ps serial and why does that matter?

as explained that works fordumps of  games but digital only games only have a .pkg file so there is not eboot.bin.

Some games were only digial like TURTLES IN TIME RESHELLED.  SO i need a way to launch a digital game without an eboot.

Do you have ps3 on launchbox? any ideas?

thanks

3 minutes ago, WInzen said:

thanks for reply. 

Where is the games ps serial and why does that matter?

as explained that works fordumps of  games but digital only games only have a .pkg file so there is not eboot.bin.

Some games were only digial like TURTLES IN TIME RESHELLED.  SO i need a way to launch a digital game without an eboot.

Do you have ps3 on launchbox? any ideas?

thanks

Im not to up on PS3 emulation, but i was under the impression that the .pkg files are simple installer files, and once installed are not needed. You should then have other files installed within the RPCS3 folder for these games, that should have EBOOT's now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Koroth said:

First, in rpcs3 look what the game's Playstation serial is. Then you will find the EBOOT.bin in rpcs3\dev_hdd0\game\"your game's serial"\USRDIR.

thanks for reply.  Not when its a digial game.  So on the now defumct PSNStuff database  every game is a pkg (and it has all games and their dlc and super fast DL. 

And if you want a game which wasnt released physically like TURTLES IN TIME reshellled (which obviously is a must have for a retro fan haha) then i believe its only a pkg.  And if you remove the pkg once installed the game wont run so they act as eboots for the eumlator and LB via the emu.  PKG are also updates and dlc so i think thats what youre thinking of...

I downloaded pkg game (turtles) from 3 sources and all pkg.  I dont think you can convert a pkg to an eboot. 

Any ideas? seems like this might be a common issue for ps3 emulation...

EDIT: ignore this.  the emu makes copies of the games on the hdrive so you can delete them but only if LB is looking for the copies. ANd the emu makes the pkg into EBOOTS for us WOOT! thanks

Edited by WInzen

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

but i was under the impression that the .pkg files are simple installer files, and once installed are not needed

Yes, that's right. .pkg are installed in rpsc3 onto a virual PS3 harddisk.

3 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

You should then have other files installed within the RPCS3 folder for these games, that should have EBOOT's now.

They are installed in rpcs3\dev_hdd0\game\"your game's serial folder"\USRDIR'.

663737342_Schermopname(94).thumb.jpg.4501e75b17694e174848d06f95e10464.jpg

So in my example Braid is installed in: rpcs3\dev_hdd0\game\NPEB00150\USRDIR\

• Unusual Gem 1

7 minutes ago, Koroth said:

Yes, that's right. .pkg are installed in rpsc3 onto a virual PS3 harddisk.

They are installed in rpcs3\dev_hdd0\game\"your game's serial folder"\USRDIR'.

663737342_Schermopname(94).thumb.jpg.4501e75b17694e174848d06f95e10464.jpg

So in my example Braid is installed in: rpcs3\dev_hdd0\game\NPEB00150\USRDIR\

PAYS TO ASK!

I was wondering why my drive lost 100gb over night! 

So I have my ps3 on a sep drive to avoid this and if i remove them the game wont work because....OMG im running the games from the spare drive not the emulator virtual ones! Ofcourse thats where the eboots are! so if i remove them ofcourse it fails as im running the  wrong eboots!

i have 10 emus and this is the only one which does that haha

SO is there a way to

Do you use ps3 emu ? if so maybe have a look at this....seems like a setting issue :

THANKS!!! TO ALL!!!!

The Darkstalker games are arcade and in the MAME set, so id just play those, never heard of the other game. You need to bear in mind though both the PS2 and PS3 emulators are no where near in a finished state, they both have compatibility issues with certain games and outright do not run some others, as well as being graphical glitches in the ones that do actually work a lot of the time. It's just the nature of those systems under emulation.

• Like 1

THanks i get that but when you see a game like dragons crown run perfectly even on low end systems its easy to think thats true of all.  Though both those games are on the playable list so i feel they might be workable with right settings.

Yes I have them on other emus but am trying to build a semi complete reflection of each console Greatest hits even with cross over.  The arcade im making will be for fun and family but also as a mini museum so the young uns can learn about the history and progression of gaming.

Just now, WInzen said:

Though both those games are on the playable list

Playable means just that, it technically runs, it doesnt mean it runs without glitches or at a playable framerate, it just mean it runs. Huge graphical glitches and 3 frames a second is considered a "playable" game in emulation terms. Playable does not mean perfect, not by a long stretch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Playable means just that, it technically runs, it doesnt mean it runs without glitches or at a playable framerate, it just mean it runs. Huge graphical glitches and 3 frames a second is considered a "playable" game in emulation terms. Playable does not mean perfect, not by a long stretch.

Thank you that helps as thats not clear but knowing it means i can move on quicker and leave problems behind which are not solvable at this time.  Thanks neil9000 youre a genuine asset to this community and a good spokesperson to promote the launchbox brand!