LaunchBox Community Forums

Sega Model 2 Emulator freezes full screen

rage2

Toying with Model 2 emulator 1.1a. I’ve got everything working on it except full screen. I can launch and play games fine in a window, but as soon as I flip to full screen, or launch full screen, emulator.exe just locks up in task manager with not responding, I see the frozen frame full screen, and trying to end task is a pain because task manager is stuck behind the frozen frame. Workaround is to start a new desktop and open task manager there to end task. I can see though that it flipped full screen resolution properly. 

Running on windows 10, on an intel NUC, DirectX updated, with HDMI out to my TV. Supermodel 3 emulator runs perfect without a hitch in full screen. 

Has anyone experienced this before?

Edited by rage2
  • Like 1

Installed Windows 8.1 on an 8 year old NUC using the default bundled video drivers and it works perfectly in full screen. Unfortunately the new NUC only runs Windows 10. Tried several drivers, same issue. Guess I’ll have to use the old machine. 

• 3 months later...

Yea, it’s the Intel (10th gen) integrated GPU that has this problem. I ended up returning and buying an Asus PN50 with an AMD CPU and it works perfectly. 

I tried every single driver available with zero luck on the Intel. 

On 3/2/2021 at 7:34 PM, rage2 said:

Toying with Model 2 emulator 1.1a. I’ve got everything working on it except full screen. I can launch and play games fine in a window, but as soon as I flip to full screen, or launch full screen, emulator.exe just locks up in task manager with not responding, I see the frozen frame full screen, and trying to end task is a pain because task manager is stuck behind the frozen frame. Workaround is to start a new desktop and open task manager there to end task. I can see though that it flipped full screen resolution properly. 

Running on windows 10, on an intel NUC, DirectX updated, with HDMI out to my TV. Supermodel 3 emulator runs perfect without a hitch in full screen. 

Has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks for at least offering the trick to closing the programme without restarting the machine. It's a bit heart breaking that I've got everything running great except model 2.

• 6 months later...

He Guys having a similar problem. i am running a Lenovo laptop with an intel chip. fullscreen is working perfect when i play the emulator on the laptop screen . but when i go via HDMI in the TV, the game crashes on fullscreen. i tried every monitor combinationbut it crashes every time on the second monitor. Supermodel does work perfectly.

any ideas?

Cheers Rob

On 1/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, tenchu2x said:

fullscreen is working perfect when i play the emulator on the laptop screen . but when i go via HDMI in the TV, the game crashes on fullscreen.

You need to set up m2emulator with a fullscreen resolution your display accepts. So maybe you use a resolution that works on your laptop screen, but doesn't on your tv. (via HDMI)

i did try with a supported fs res but still crashing.

however i now found an absurd walkaround to get it working

1. go to screen seeting with 2nd screen attached via HDMI. go to "shoe 2ns screen only"

2. plug out the HDMI cable - the screen switches to laptop screen cause it has to

3. put a audio cable in your eahphines laptop jack and connect to av reciever

4. start emulatormodel 2, launch rom, go to fullscreen

5. plug in hdmi connected to monitor2 while game running in FS

6. when you get a screen on scrren 2 prs ESC

7. the game runs now on second screen in window.

8. start fullscreen mode: the game now works in fullscreen now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

why does this work? i think the emulator is tricked that way and thinks he is still running on laptop screen. the proof for this is also that the sound from the game when done this way will not come via hdmi (system sound will) but it will only come from where it was coming from before the HDMI cable was put in. that why you have to plug earphones cable in BEFORE you put in the HDMI cable. when you try afterwards to change sound to HDMI the game will crash.

so i managed to trick out the emulator and stupid Intel chipset by accident. enjoy!

• 2 months later...
On 6/27/2021 at 5:35 AM, rage2 said:

Yea, it’s the Intel (10th gen) integrated GPU that has this problem. I ended up returning and buying an Asus PN50 with an AMD CPU and it works perfectly. 

I tried every single driver available with zero luck on the Intel. 

I had exactly the same issue this week and I think your post helped me solve it, I’m running the app in Windows 8 compatibility mode (under right-click, properties and the model 2 exe) and I’ve had no issues since. I did also change the full screen resolution from 800x640 to 1024x768 at the same time.

Thanks for your help pointing me in the right direction. 🙂

• 10 months later...

hello,

I had the same problem and the same intel chip and this thread helped me alot so i thought i would help out since i solved the issue on my end. I did all these things

1. went to display settings on my computer and changed to 1920x1080

2. go to properties of model 2 exe and check and select these options:

run this program in compatibility for windows xp service pack 3

run in 640 x480 res

run as admin

3. when you open the program pick full screen resolution 640 x 480

you should now be able to run the game fullscreen. my problem now is i want to run the game on 1920 x 1080 and it freezes on me just throwing this post out there to see if someone is able to figure that out

Edited by djmt549

• 5 months later...

Had this thing running fine a few months ago 

Went to play dynamite cop and got the black screen of death lol.  

The only thing that has changed is I updated my driver's on AMD adrenaline to correct for a PCSX2 issue I was having with Red Dead.

It will still play in windowed, but locks me into a black full screen that I can't get out of unless I restart.

I suspect the more time goes on, the more incompatible this emulator is going to become.

• 5 months later...

Hello all,

I have the same issue, but with an odd difference. I connect my laptop to 2 different HDTVs (1 at a time). 1 is integrated into my racing setup for driving games while the other is for everything else.

It works perfectly in windowed mode on both TVs. However, on my racing TV it freezes when I switch to full screen, but works perfectly in full screen on my other TV.

I had the same issue with Kega Fusion when going into full screen mode. That was ultimately fixed by selecting windows 7 compatibility mode for the .exe. 

I'll try a different resolution and compatibility mode and see if that fixes it.