LaunchBox Community Forums

Getting Media From Epic Has Got ridiculous!

The Papaw

I was trying to add some missing media and when LB prompts me log into my Epic account, it has gotten totally ridiculous! Due to the re-captcha that is being used, I had to sit and add dice together 10 times to equal 14. After the 10th time, said I missed one and made me start over. This re-captcha crap is getting way out of hand IMO.

Untitled.jpg

Id rather Epic did that then it be easy for a bot/hacker to gain access to my account. I lost my Playstation account a few months ago when someone got into it, and activated 2 factor to lock me out, my own fault for not having 2 factor on, but it just goes to show what can happen. I had had that account since the launch of the PS3 in what 2006? Luckily i only had 3 or 4 digital purchases on the account.

Also i should add, i use my Google account to log into my Epic account, that doesnt do the captcha stuff, i have 2 factor on for my google, so i approve the notification on my phone, no captcha needed.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Id rather Epic did that then it be easy for a bot/hacker to gain access to my account. I lost my Playstation account a few months ago when someone got into it, and activated 2 factor to lock me out, my own fault for not having 2 factor on, but it just goes to show what can happen. I had had that account since the launch of the PS3 in what 2006? Luckily i only had 3 or 4 digital purchases on the account.

Also i should add, i use my Google account to log into my Epic account, that doesnt do the captcha stuff, i have 2 factor on for my google, so i approve the notification on my phone, no captcha needed.

Hey Neil, I appreciate the feedback. You make good points. I agree about using re-captchas or anything that promotes good security measures, but 10 times and starting over if ya miss one. Come on now....

As far as google, I beta'd for them, one of their first members in '98 when it was invitation only (I still have xmas presents that they have sent me over the year). For privacy reasons I now avoid them like a plague. FB as well (never used it, never will, with the exception when I had my online business running).

To use a 3rd party simply for a convenience, such as using other accounts info for logins, well, I do not want other companies knowing what, when or what I do online. 

Something to ponder, if someone gets hold of your google account info, how many other of your accounts would be compromised or at risk for you? Not just speaking about google, but any of the "login with your" logins there are out there now, ya know?

I was just sharing my frustration about it getting a bit ridiculous, 10 times on a re-captcha????? Epic needs a better solution for their API in my opinion. Just was venting my friend....

53 minutes ago, Wanderer189 said:

Something to ponder, if someone gets hold of your google account info, how many other of your accounts would be compromised or at risk for you?

I use a password manager with a long and complicated password, i also have 2 factor on, so they would need to crack a very complicated password, and have my phone on them when/if they crack the password, so highly unlikely. I learnt my lesson when i lost my PSN account, i already had 2 factor on for a lot of stuff, but i then went around changing my passwords and activating 2 factor wherever i could if it wasnt already.

On 3/16/2021 at 2:25 PM, neil9000 said:

I tried that, when I click on the google icon, type in my mail then it tells me that whatever Launchbox uses as a browser ist not safe enough and google login will not work.  Oh not only do you need to get 10 of those dice captchas right, it also just tells you if you are not "fast" enough and you have to start over. Really seems like a captcha that is way easier for a bot than for most humans.  Would a solution be possible that goes through your normal browser? The one in Launchbox seems to trigger captchas, the same for amazon but the ones there are at least easily doable. 

Edited by Darkcloud
  • Like 1

I just stopped using the LB importer. I have all my Epic downloads installed into the same folder, so I just add them manually into LB. The ridiculous captcha thing isn't worth the wasted time. And I prefer to utilize my privacy best I can avoiding google. It was a nice feature before though.

Edited by Wanderer189

I just ran across this ridiculous captcha thing as well, and really this isn't getting into my bank account, it is for epic games. as someone else said, random generated password in bitwarden, and having my phone handy to get the 2FA, so why just to import into launch box, 10X of adding up to dice, and when you get it right, you have to do it again anyway? Oh, and I tried having epic games launcher running and active, along with having epic game logged in on my browser, and it still says not logged in, so give me a break. Pointless and far to time consuming to mess with to even utilize. Strike 1 for my big box consideration, I tend not to give money to companies that get simple things oh so wrong (hope you are reading this Plex) 

• 2 weeks later...