LaunchBox Community Forums

Metadata scrambled ( can’t edit anything anymore)

wiseHowl

I’m not sure if there is a tread for this but haven’t found any..

i have Ben building a launchbox library for about a year or so and never ran into any Major Issues..

there was a handful of games whit missing artwork that could not be found whit launchbox or even emu movie even after editing them so I decided to try screen scraper to get the stranglers..worked fine, even decided to get a little more since I was at it..

afterward, the metadata seem to be locked..could not edit, every shutdown it would revert back..plus some games were added despite if they were present physically ( some were old games that I haves removed and deleted from hard drive) ..since then it’s Ben a merry go round of scanning for missing art and removed/added roms..

i used different back ups and reverted to them but did not worked

i also unzipped back up and it corrected some but still seem stuck on older stuff not present..still no manual editing posible( just revert change back to what it was before on boot)

i am wondering, first if I am missing knowledge that could avoid restarting again

Secondly, if I would be to reimport all media on new install..what would be the things to keep beside image/video/games/manual/music/

and would I have to re edit( I’m guessing I would on some whit numbers on name and all)

unless there is a better way

Any help would be appreciated 

3 hours ago, wiseHowl said:

I’m not sure if there is a tread for this but haven’t found any..

i have Ben building a launchbox library for about a year or so and never ran into any Major Issues..

there was a handful of games whit missing artwork that could not be found whit launchbox or even emu movie even after editing them so I decided to try screen scraper to get the stranglers..worked fine, even decided to get a little more since I was at it..

afterward, the metadata seem to be locked..could not edit, every shutdown it would revert back..plus some games were added despite if they were present physically ( some were old games that I haves removed and deleted from hard drive) ..since then it’s Ben a merry go round of scanning for missing art and removed/added roms..

i used different back ups and reverted to them but did not worked

i also unzipped back up and it corrected some but still seem stuck on older stuff not present..still no manual editing posible( just revert change back to what it was before on boot)

i am wondering, first if I am missing knowledge that could avoid restarting again

Secondly, if I would be to reimport all media on new install..what would be the things to keep beside image/video/games/manual/music/

and would I have to re edit( I’m guessing I would on some whit numbers on name and all)

unless there is a better way

Any help would be appreciated 

Do you have backups in the launchbox/data/platforms folder, if so you need to remove them, you cant keep backups there.

It is all those platform xaml backups you have in the platforms folder. That is what @neil9000 asked you about. You cannot have those in there. LB is trying to read those and the real platform xaml files. Also remove all those others like the .Missing.Serial.xaml files. There can only be the original platform xaml in there.

This is the reason we do not recommend skraper. It places those backups in the \data\platform folder. If you choose to use skraper make sure you remove those backups it makes or turn off the backup option inside skraper.

• Haha 1

Just now, wiseHowl said:

You mean in platform?

the screen I shared is platform folder

or do you mean the other files in data

xml files

(not in platform or playlist)

These, 

image.png.1ee50657c098e9221d5921a7c258fdc0.png

You can not keep those there. You should not be storing any extra files in the data folder.

It worked, i whent and looked for removed Rom and edited one rom that needed to be adjusted then I closed..it did gave me a error but it kept the modification saved

thanks a bunch

i have ben googlelin and watching YouTube 

first time I could not find the answers..

much appreciated 

ill be testing and hopefully it will be fine

you just saved me from restarting from far off..and a lot of days later