LaunchBox Community Forums

eXoScummVM Question

moudrost

I started with eXoDOS and its great. Instructions were clear on how to merge with my existing LaunchBox installation. Next up is eXoWin3x. The instructions were lacking on merging with an existing LaunchBox installation. Folder structure looked pretty clean so I moved what I thought I should and as far as I can tell, it works great. I wanted to give eXoScummVM a try too. Like eXoWin3x, I can't find any instructions on a proper way to merge it with an existing installation with the other previously mentioned versions installed at the same time. SCUMM appears to be used in the eXoDOS installation and I'm worried that If I don't merge folders properly I might screw up some customizations between the two. Does anyone have a link to proper documentation or can help so I don't hose anything?

Anyone out there done this before?

On 7/8/2021 at 4:29 AM, moudrost said:

I started with eXoDOS and its great. Instructions were clear on how to merge with my existing LaunchBox installation. Next up is eXoWin3x. The instructions were lacking on merging with an existing LaunchBox installation. Folder structure looked pretty clean so I moved what I thought I should and as far as I can tell, it works great. I wanted to give eXoScummVM a try too. Like eXoWin3x, I can't find any instructions on a proper way to merge it with an existing installation with the other previously mentioned versions installed at the same time. SCUMM appears to be used in the eXoDOS installation and I'm worried that If I don't merge folders properly I might screw up some customizations between the two. Does anyone have a link to proper documentation or can help so I don't hose anything?

Anyone out there done this before?

I've merged it with my existing collection. It works fine. Just use the manual from your Exodos collection and follow the instructions. Obviously you have to substitute anything exodos related with scummvm related files and folders, but the import procedure is basically the same: run the setup bat file, copy all the images, music and manual folders into your Launchbox folder, copy the exo folder into your Launchbox folder, and then copy all the platform and playlist files into the correct folders in your data folder.

If you managed to successfully integrate exodos, you shouldn't have any problem with scummvm. Good luck! 

@moudrost here are steps I just used recently:

1. Backup up LB XML files via Tools...Create Data Backup.    Backups are stored in  ..\Launchbox\Backups by date in zip. 
  2. The install batch file will overwrite existing "ScummVM" XML file within ..\Launchbox\Data folder\ScummVM   
    • Your backup in Step 1 will keep a copy of your old version
  3. The install batch will merge media into any existing ScummVM folders within Images, Manuals, and Music.  If you have setup a non-eXo version at some point you may want to consider renaming your old folders and/or backing up. 
  4. The batch file will also replace your LB version with likely an older version.  You can always reinstall LB back to version you last downloaded version via ..\Launchbox\Updates folder.  I just "REM" the portion of script with LB unzip. 
  5. Copy the eXoScummVM folders as follows or use a symbolic link to source:
    • ..\eXoScummVM\Content     >>>entire folder to root LB folder>>>  ..\Launchbox\Content
    • ..\eXoScummVM\eXo    >>> entire folder to root of LB folder>>> ..\Launchbox\eXo
      • if you have an eXoDOS setup within existing eXo folder it will merge the unique folders appropriately.  The only thing you might get a warning from Windows during copy as a "dupe" is the unzip.exe in the ..\eXo\util folder which is fine to either either leave or copy replace.
    • Setup eXoScummVM.bat  >>> file to root of LB folder>>>   ..\Launchbox\
  6. You then launch the batch file and it will take awhile to copy/unzip and move things around.  Remember if you don't REM out the LB unzip in the batch file you will likely need to rerun your most recent LB install setup.  
  7. Your folders within the eXo side of things will look something like this.  Note I have symbolic links to the two big eXo folders, so you won't see the "link arrows" for normal install.  The files needed to run games all all stored within the eXoScummVM folder just like eXoDOS does.  So don't have to worry about messing up your eXoDOs install.  The scummvm exes needed for exodos are kept in separate folder than that from the full ScummVM install as well so no conflicts to eXoDOS.

Captur2e.PNG.b070a1222217c033357918ca72e5ded9.PNGCapture.PNG.816884accc37f7a31f470b6062fb9a34.PNG

Edited by sundogak
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...