LaunchBox Community Forums

dynamic FPS

kal9000

Hi there, 

I've noticed that on my 110hz, ultra-wide monitor, big-box seems fairly jerky. Animations look like they're running more like 20 FPS at times. When I run the same install off my 60hz TV, it's very smooth. It seems odd to be to have to manually set the FPS to match the display.. Couldn't it just have traditional options, like target-FPS, or maximum FPS.. or I wonder if it really needs an option at all. Just run smoothly please! Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems odd...

LaunchBox and Big Box are not a video game... we do NOT have a render tick, we render when the layout changes (similar to how web browsers render a web page). If you don't update the layout at all within a given timeframe (like a second) we don't call a frame update (which clears and updates the GPU buffer that most frame rate trackers use to determine the displayed rate). The frame rate option in Big Box speeds up the update tick used in layout animations which DOES increase FPS (because we call layout updates more often) but can be wasteful and resource intensive depending on your computer specs which is why we leave it at 60hz. If you notice the animations are playing slow you can crank that up to update them more regularly which will could help make them appear smoother, how much so greatly depends on your machine however.

36 minutes ago, kal9000 said:

Hi there, 

I've noticed that on my 110hz, ultra-wide monitor, big-box seems fairly jerky. Animations look like they're running more like 20 FPS at times. When I run the same install off my 60hz TV, it's very smooth. It seems odd to be to have to manually set the FPS to match the display.. Couldn't it just have traditional options, like target-FPS, or maximum FPS.. or I wonder if it really needs an option at all. Just run smoothly please! Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems odd...

If you have a monitor that has freesync or gsync, turning that feature off could also smooth out the experience within Big Box.

Thanks for the help so far! I do have a g-sync monitor, and tried disabling that. It does seem a bit smoother, but still not quite as smooth as when I'm on my other machine running the 60hz TV..

The PC w/ the issues is no slouch.. Modern CPU, lots of memory, 2070super, nvme drive. It's a two monitor machine, 1st is the gsync, ultra-wide at 3440x1440, and the 2nd is a 4k 3840x2160. 

Knowing what I know now about the rendering approach, I decided to just try cranking it up to 200hz (even though I don't have a 200hz monitor), and it's buttery smooth now. I re-enabled gsync, kept it at 200hz, and it's still quite good.

So, I guess that's a workable solution, just crank it as high as it can go. That said, is there an open issue for the gsync bug? Feels like that would be good to address regardless. And I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who's been thrown for a loop on this.. I get you don't want to tax the CPU on older machines, but I've been using Launchbox/BigBox for years now and didn't know that this was a way to 'fix' the performance... I figured the refresh rate was supposed to try and match your monitor, and the 60hz=optimal setting was also a bit confusing. Not sure what the right solution is.. you probably wouldn't want to default to 200hz for everyone, but it is such an improvement in my experience having tried it I bet others could benefit.

Thanks for the suggestions!