LaunchBox Community Forums

Random Platform and game view videos priority

Archmage_R

How do you set "play random video when platform video missing" to prioritize like this?: Theme if available > gameplay video if available
It used to be that my platform view only played random "gameplay videos", but now it's fucked (after update/degrade) and only plays theme videos, refusing to play anything else.

I want it so that it plays theme videos on the random video screen, and plays gameplay videos on the game select view.

If it can't what is the point of having labels like "trailer"/"gameplay video"/"theme" etc. (For downloading sure, but it is easy to see what it is after download).

Edit: I found a screenshot where the option in bigbox had "piroritise theme videos", but I can't find that option anywhere on my bigbox (with default theme or otherwise)

Edited by Archmage_R

15 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

How do you set "play random video when platform video missing" to prioritize like this?: Theme if available > gameplay video if available
It used to be that my platform view only played random "gameplay videos", but now it's fucked (after update/degrade) and only plays theme videos, refusing to play anything else.

I want it so that it plays theme videos on the random video screen, and plays gameplay videos on the game select view.

If it can't what is the point of having labels like "trailer"/"gameplay video"/"theme" etc. (For downloading sure, but it is easy to see what it is after download).

Edit: I found a screenshot where the option in bigbox had "piroritise theme videos", but I can't find that option anywhere on my bigbox (with default theme or otherwise)

BigBox does not have a way to prioritize like this. It only has an option to prioritize video playback as a whole.

So it cannot prioritize how it plays back a game video on a platform level and then prioritize how it plays back game videos when in the game level.

In either way it adheres to how you set your video prioritization in the LB >Tools >Options >Video Priorities setting.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

BigBox does not have a way to prioritize like this. It only has an option to prioritize video playback as a whole.

So it cannot prioritize how it plays back a game video on a platform level and then prioritize how it plays back game videos when in the game level.

In either way it adheres to how you set your video prioritization in the LB >Tools >Options >Video Priorities setting.

Hey, 2 things.

First of all thank you very much for the reply, I hadn't seen that option, and have now changed it so it prioritizes properly.

Though do you have any idea why it has not prioritised theme videos before now? I had theme videos on top, but it was only after this update that it all of a sudden started only showing me theme videos in platform category view. (Before that it only showed gameplay videos, and NEVER theme videos).

Is the thing I'm wanting even possible? Or will it never be a feature due to the way launchbox is programmed/to resource heavy/hard to implement?

14 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

Though do you have any idea why it has not prioritised theme videos before now? I had theme videos on top, but it was only after this update that it all of a sudden started only showing me theme videos in platform category view. (Before that it only showed gameplay videos, and NEVER theme videos).

Could have been a bug in the prior version. I know in the latest release they fixed something that was giving users some video type playback issues so it maybe fixed what you were seeing before.

16 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

Is the thing I'm wanting even possible? Or will it never be a feature due to the way launchbox is programmed/to resource heavy/hard to implement?

I am sure it would be possible with an update to BigBox. It would likely need a feature request. I see you asked about it on the poll thread. Thank you by the way for realizing you posted something off topic in that thread. Not that it is a big issue but we are trying to keep the thread clean so the devs can clearly see poll specific questions. Hopefully, Jason responds there and give you a better confirmation if it would be possible.

I would still say please use the Request a Feature link located at the top of the forum under Help & Support. This is the best way for us to track requests.

You should be able to already do what you are hoping for via theming. Right now video priorities are global. We do have controls theme creators can use to display a certain video type though that doesn't have to follow that priority though.

1 hour ago, Retro808 said:

Could have been a bug in the prior version. I know in the latest release they fixed something that was giving users some video type playback issues so it maybe fixed what you were seeing before.

I am sure it would be possible with an update to BigBox. It would likely need a feature request. I see you asked about it on the poll thread. Thank you by the way for realizing you posted something off topic in that thread. Not that it is a big issue but we are trying to keep the thread clean so the devs can clearly see poll specific questions. Hopefully, Jason responds there and give you a better confirmation if it would be possible.

I would still say please use the Request a Feature link located at the top of the forum under Help & Support. This is the best way for us to track requests.

Most likely a bug yeah.

Again, sorry for the off-topic post.
Reason I asked instead of going to "request a feature" is that I did not want to waste your time having "requested features" in bitbucket, if that feature was something that would never be possible to implement.

As I have never used bitbucket before I started using launchbox, I have no idea if "reading a forum post and replying" is less or more  of a logistical nightmare than "seeing something on bitbucket and then closing that request and removing it".

As I have no technical "know how" I have no idea how bitbucket works from the admin/workflow/logistical side of things. I just (probably wrongly) assumed that it was less stressful and annoying to read a forum post than sifting through hundreds of "useless" feature requests in bitbucket that you then have to either "decline or approve".

I hope that I make sense and that I am not simply "waffling". As you can see English is not my first language. :P

Edit:
Btw I just realized that a lot of my posts (and other peoples posts) have a "negative tone", as in they are mostly about stuff that is wrong/questions about things that we do not understand. Which is fine since all constructive feedback is good be it positive or negative.
However I do want to say that I do love the program, and that it has changed gaming in a huge way for me. And after this update the video playback actually works a lot better now that I got rid of the "hiccup" I had. Now it shows trailers as well + the videos seem to be "more random" and not the same 10 videos out of 300 playing again and again.

I just felt I should add that here as you do not seem to have a "positive feedback" forum ?

Edited by Archmage_R

32 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

You should be able to already do what you are hoping for via theming. Right now video priorities are global. We do have controls theme creators can use to display a certain video type though that doesn't have to follow that priority though.

Hmm that is quite interesting, thanks for letting me know!.
I am not comfortable with trying to make my own theme just yet, but it is something that I have on my "bucketlist" for a future far far away.
That is definitively a feature I would have included in my theme.

Edited by Archmage_R

Forum is perfect for troubleshooting, general questions, and yes even asking about features. However, to make best use of getting a feature noticed and allowing us to better track feature requests and how many users want it BitBucket is the best avenue which is why that is linked when you click on Feature Request. So I always recommend make a feature request then come to the forum and post about it and post a link to the ticket to hepl drive users to it and to vote. Bitbucket allows us to see votes and sort/search easier. The forum, not so useful for this.

56 minutes ago, Archmage_R said:

Btw I just realized that a lot of my posts (and other peoples posts) have a "negative tone", as in they are mostly about stuff that is wrong/questions about things that we do not understand. Which is fine since all constructive feedback is good be it positive or negative.
However I do want to say that I do love the program, and that it has changed gaming in a huge way for me. And after this update the video playback actually works a lot better now that I got rid of the "hiccup" I had. Now it shows trailers as well + the videos seem to be "more random" and not the same 10 videos out of 300 playing again and again.

I just felt I should add that here as you do not seem to have a "positive feedback" forum ?

Thanks for the positive feedback. We do appreciate it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Forum is perfect for troubleshooting, general questions, and yes even asking about features. However, to make best use of getting a feature noticed and allowing us to better track feature requests and how many users want it BitBucket is the best avenue which is why that is linked when you click on Feature Request. So I always recommend make a feature request then come to the forum and post about it and post a link to the ticket to hepl drive users to it and to vote. Bitbucket allows us to see votes and sort/search easier. The forum, not so useful for this.

Thanks for the positive feedback. We do appreciate it.

Thanks for clearing that up, I will do feature requests in that order from now on :P