LaunchBox Community Forums

Setting up Xbox one controller for Playstation

vicfrankenstein

So, I've got an Arcade cab and it's working great with Arcade games and NES games.

Now I want to get it working with things like PS1.  I've got a couple of Xbox one controllers.

However, how do I set these up for use in the cores, such as PS1?  One instruction I read was to enter the quick menu so I could change it and save the new controller for that core.  However, the controller set up is limited and only lets me choose device type a PlayStation controller, dual shock, analog controller, analog Joystick, Guncon, justifier, Mouse, neGcon.  No choice for XBox one.  And there's also no mapping in the quick menu so I don't even know how to point it to the correct controller.

I don't want to mess up my work on the MAME and NES which are running perfectly.

Any tips on how to get this controller working?  With all the buttons, I should be able to get this working on all the rest of the games, once I figure out how to get over this hump.

1 hour ago, vicfrankenstein said:

So, I've got an Arcade cab and it's working great with Arcade games and NES games.

Now I want to get it working with things like PS1.  I've got a couple of Xbox one controllers.

However, how do I set these up for use in the cores, such as PS1?  One instruction I read was to enter the quick menu so I could change it and save the new controller for that core.  However, the controller set up is limited and only lets me choose device type a PlayStation controller, dual shock, analog controller, analog Joystick, Guncon, justifier, Mouse, neGcon.  No choice for XBox one.  And there's also no mapping in the quick menu so I don't even know how to point it to the correct controller.

I don't want to mess up my work on the MAME and NES which are running perfectly.

Any tips on how to get this controller working?  With all the buttons, I should be able to get this working on all the rest of the games, once I figure out how to get over this hump.

Are you using the one's plugged or wireless with adapter?

RAs controller settings can be one of the more confusing parts of RA.
The settings in the quick menu is just for selecting which controller to emulate, so if you want to emulate a standard PS1 controller or a Dual Shock for example. Then you can also reassign buttons and such there.
Which physical controller you want to be P1 etc, is in the main RA controller settings menu (not the quick menu). With Xbox One controllers though it should all be pretty automatic since the default mapping should all kick in. Is it not working?
If not then all I can think of is that you got some special settings applied somewhere for the rest of your set up which is causing issue? or if you got arcade sticks connected those might get defaulted to be P1, P2 etc. but yeah, the Retroarch main menu controller settings should allow you to change which pad you want.

15 hours ago, vicfrankenstein said:

Don't try to emulate the dual shock controller. Use the regular PS1 controller instead and set the d-pad controls to your analogue stick manually if you want to use analogue controls. A few games, such as Tekken (3, I think) don't work well with dual shock.

While you can set the d-pad to analogue option, it does not take advantage of it being analogue so might not be ideal for games that use it. It will just map the d-pad to the stick, which works ok for some games if you prefer that of course.

Personally what I do is I have the default PS1 controller set to the Standard Controller, then when I boot a game that supports Dual Shock I just change the type of controller over and then save a per-game config for that game so that next time I boot it up it will automatically have the supported controller enabled.
Having said that some early analogue games had terrible implementation so I stick with standard controller for those, examples that pop to mind are the later Tomb Raider games. I way prefer just d-pad for that.