LaunchBox Community Forums

M64 Plus FZ Pro? (Mupen64 FZ Pro)

steliokantos

Hi guys, loving the new Android version but having an issue. M64 Plus FZ Pro (formerly Mupen 64 Plus FZ Pro) isn't available in the list of emulators and I can't quite get it going on Nvidia Shield. I've got the package name and Activity down and the test passes for configuration and, I'm able to open the emulator from inside Launchbox using the "Open Custom Emulator" option but, I can't quite get the "Custom Emulator ROM Path Key." I just added the path here, which is what I assume it's asking for but I get an error when selecting any game. I'm SO close!
-
Here are my entries for the custom emulator settings:
Default Emulator: Custom Emulator
Custom Emulator Package Name: org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita.pro
Custom Emulator Activity Name: org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita.pro/paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.SplashActivity
Custom Emulator ROM Path Key: /storage/the number of my external drive here/N64 roms folder path here

Launchbox lets me get so far as to open N64 and even click on a game but once I click on any game I get the error:
"An error occurred while trying to load the game/emulator:
Unable to find explicit activity class
{org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita.pro/
org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita.pro/
paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.SplashActivity}; have you
declared this activity in your AndroidManifest.xml?

Any help would be greatly appreciated OR if M64 Plus FZ Pro could be added to the list of included emulators that would be even better!
Thanks guys!

Edited by steliokantos

Sadly, we've already tried to get M64Plus FZ running, and it's not possible, because the developer chose to switch to the new, broken Android data model (thanks Google), which doesn't work for launching games at all. So unfortunately, as it currently stands, it's impossible for a frontend to launch any games with M64Plus FZ.

Just in case I'm wrong (which does happen from time to time), let me know if anyone finds any frontends that work properly with the the latest version of FZ. From what I can tell, it isn't possible.

Sorry @steliokantos.

1 minute ago, Jason Carr said:

Sadly, we've already tried to get M64Plus FZ running, and it's not possible, because the developer chose to switch to the new, broken Android data model (thanks Google), which doesn't work for launching games at all. So unfortunately, as it currently stands, it's impossible for a frontend to launch any games with M64Plus FZ.

Just in case I'm wrong (which does happen from time to time), let me know if anyone finds any frontends that work properly with the the latest version of FZ. From what I can tell, it isn't possible.

Sorry @steliokantos.

Pretty sure it works with DIG Premium last time I tried it, I can double check when I get time and let you know.

1 minute ago, steliokantos said:

Pretty sure it works with DIG Premium last time I tried it, I can double check when I get time and let you know.

Thanks, yeah, I tried with DIG already and it did not work with the latest version. But if you have it working, do let me know, because that means I'm just missing something.

8 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

Thanks, yeah, I tried with DIG already and it did not work with the latest version. But if you have it working, do let me know, because that means I'm just missing something.

Just tried DIG Premium again, version 1.39.2, and it works with M64 Plus FZ Pro version 3.0.288beta. DIG even has M64 Plus FZ Pro as an automatic option for the emulator to use. If I can help you out in any way, I'd be happy to. Thank you!

Edited by steliokantos
adding version of M64 Plus Fz

56 minutes ago, steliokantos said:

Just tried DIG Premium again, version 1.39.2, and it works with M64 Plus FZ Pro version 3.0.288beta. DIG even has M64 Plus FZ Pro as an automatic option for the emulator to use. If I can help you out in any way, I'd be happy to. Thank you!

It does not look like you're using the latest version of Dig, though I'm not sure that should matter. The latest version on Google Play is 1.39.6.

Also, the latest version of M64 Plus FZ Pro is 3.0.291, so that is out of date as well. I'm afraid that M64 Plus FZ Pro may have broken that functionality with the latest version. Can you upgrade everything and confirm? Beware though, because I'm not sure if you'll be able to downgrade...

16 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

It does not look like you're using the latest version of Dig, though I'm not sure that should matter. The latest version on Google Play is 1.39.6.

Also, the latest version of M64 Plus FZ Pro is 3.0.291, so that is out of date as well. I'm afraid that M64 Plus FZ Pro may have broken that functionality with the latest version. Can you upgrade everything and confirm? Beware though, because I'm not sure if you'll be able to downgrade...

So they are. I always update my apps manually so didn't see the new updates yet. I took some time this morning to update both apps to the most current versions and the only issue I seem to have run into is M64 no longer recognizing the L3 and R3 inputs from the 2015 Shield controller (but using a 2019 Shield Pro). I will have to work on that but, as far as DIG and M64 Plus FZ Pro working together, they are still getting along. DIG 1.39.6 indeed still opens games directly with M64 Plus FZ Pro version 3.0.291. Again, if there is anything I can do to help, I will do it. Thank you!

• Like 1

Alright, so I tested everything again and I still can't get it working on my Samsung Galaxy S10+. M64 Plus FZ just always gives me a "Failed to open ROM file for reading." error. However, it does work on my Nvidia Shield. So the emulator appears to be broken, but only on some devices.

Anyways, I'm adding it in for the next release, just with a warning that it might not work.

FWIW, M64Plus FZ Pro works for me on my Nvidia Shield. I just installed it an hour ago and am able to launch and play a game through Launchbox with it.

Looks like I posted too quickly, before noticing that it's already been noted.

Edited by dmaker
  • Like 1

Jason Carr, I wanted to come back here to thank you personally for taking the time to hear me out on this topic and for adding M64 Plus FZ Pro as one of the default emulators in the latest update! I feel like my life is more complete now hahaha! I'm really enjoying the new Android version so far and am excited for the future! Excellent app and team behind it! By far, in my opinion, the best emulation frontend available for Android devices without an unlocked bootloader now! I truly appreciate all you guys do! THANK YOU!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I recently played a game (Harvest Moon 64) in the DIG emulator and now M64 Plus FZ Pro doesn't recognize it in the folder. I don't know how to put in cheats for the game on DIG, and if I can't, I have no idea how to get M64 Plus FZ Pro to recognize it... Even deleting the file and re-downloading it doesn't fix the problem. What do I do?

• 1 month later...

Have you fixed Android 11 compatibility yet. By the way arc browser programmer  fixed this problem and PPSSPP emulator too . They both launch now on arc browser and he is now trying to fix redream and Yaba sanshiro emulators to work with his launcher. I think you can fix those problem too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2021 at 11:46 AM, Goodmango said:

Have you fixed Android 11 compatibility yet. By the way arc browser programmer  fixed this problem and PPSSPP emulator too . They both launch now on arc browser and he is now trying to fix redream and Yaba sanshiro emulators to work with his launcher. I think you can fix those problem too.

I will be looking into this. I'm not sure how feasible any of it is, but it's on my list.

12 minutes ago, Goodmango said:

Believe me if you try now you will be able to fix this problem. By the way could you add the ability to add any emulator other than the listed on launch box.

I hear you. I am looking into it. I would appreciate if you could stop jumping to ultimate conclusions, though. None of this is as simple as what you're suggesting, unfortunately.

• 1 year later...

Hi @Jason Carr,

I found information on the issue at hand:

What we know

Class Name
paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.AppMupen64Plus < -- We know this to be correct as we can verify when installed

App Name
org.mupen64plusae.v3.fzurita.pro <-- with the app installed we know this correct as wel,l as we can verify when installed

Activity Names / Activity Class Names
paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.SplashActivity           <-- // When the game is loading ("Preparing game data...") see screenhot, same app name Daijisho uses ! With execptions * !

hZklVqA.png

and
paulscode.android.mupen64plusae.game.GameActivity <-- // Game that's running / currently active

When I configure a custom emu to launch a rom I tried first with "SplashActivity"

NlN5D3m.png

and I get the following error

gGu01gD.png

I have specified the acivity (SplashActivity) but I don't know what the intent is configured as.

When I configure for "GameActivity"

nkB5U9K.png

I following error

WQniUGZ.png

Which shows the correct intent action, however I would like to know if this can be set to 'Launch' to see if we get the same error

Lastly;

How can I get access to the Launchbox manifest.xml file to review the below

Also, I was reading through an stack overflow thread:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/37731315/android-content-activitynotfoundexception-unable-to-find-explicit-activity-clas

stating the below...

You're instantiating the intent before the activity has gone through its life cycle methods. This means that the Context that you pass in to the Intent constructor is not valid.

Typically, the intent is created right before you use it:

newEvent.setOnClickListener(new View.OnClickListener() {
    @Override
    public void onClick(View v) {
        Intent intent = new Intent(MainMenu.this, EventCreationActivity.class);
        startActivity(intent);
    }
});

This is also something I want to explore so I can look into providing a fix the emulator launching problem, based on the error I hoping this is what the issue is, in failing that I would like to check the manifest file to see if the mpen64 full app name was stated or not.

Also, If there's anything else I can do to assist, I'm morethan happy to do so.

Thank you

Edited by blaqf00t

• 7 months later...