LaunchBox Community Forums

New Android LaunchBox and NAS support

Kuro Houou

It really comes down to navigating, all my previously added roms from my SMB shares still work, but clicking to visit parent folder returns me back to \emulated\0 or something.
note that i get the same kind of bug with retro arch, altough if i launch a rom to retroarch using launchbox i can launch it from retro arch's history but i'll never be able to dig to the folder its into...

i've removed my n64 roms from my launchbox DB because i needed some space for it to update thinking launchbox 1.0 was gonna fix the bug but it didnt unfortunatedly so i'm locked out from my n64 games, but other previously DBed games still run fine and all of them are from the same share.

When it's fixed, my goal is to move my launchbox files to that smb share, do you think i'll run into any issue doing this? because local storage on Shield is kinda limited.

Edit : honestly, if i could type down my paths manually it'd satisfy me enough.

Edited by Franklepai

LaunchBox for Android version 1.1-beta-1 is out now with a workaround for accessing network storage on the Shield devices that have been updated to the latest firmware. You will still need the latest Nvidia hotfixes, however.

For more details on the Nvidia firmware situation, please see this thread:

On 8/26/2021 at 9:35 PM, Kuro Houou said:

So I have 4 Nvidia Shields in my house, literally every TV in my house has one, I love being able to pick up a controller no matter where I am and just start gaming ;) Even on mobile devices all my saves get sync'd thanks to DriveSync.  That said one thing I have enabled on every Shield is mounted storage to my NAS.  This way, all my ROMs can be stored in one location without taking up any space on my actual shield and the precious limited storage they have (I have SD cards in them but they are smallish at 32GB too).  I love LaunchBox/BigBox but when I went to set this up on my Shield, I went to Import Games and low and behold its not showing my mounted storage???  I figured to Android its just another folder, why doesn't LaunchBox show it?  It shows my /storage/emulated/0 folder and the storage for my sd card... but thats it... I can't go up to a root directory and select my mounted storage.  This is a huge issue as it effectively limits what I can play to my 32GB SD cards. 

Please Please Please let me use my mounted storage, its what makes the Shield such an amazing device!!!!!!!!

As someone with multiple Shields do you have an more info on your whole setup on the Shields? I have all my roms on a NAS already but every time I go to set this up, either with straight up RetroArch, Hyperspin, ARC Browser I'm always coming up short. Running out of space on the shield, roms not launching, front end issues, etc. I think HyperSpin was the closest I got but that's so unruly however it at least allowed everything to run off the NAS for the most part. I want to say I have the 2017 version with no sd card slots just USB.

I mean I could just use a P3 but the Shield has so much more going for it!

3 hours ago, zombie16 said:

As someone with multiple Shields do you have an more info on your whole setup on the Shields? I have all my roms on a NAS already but every time I go to set this up, either with straight up RetroArch, Hyperspin, ARC Browser I'm always coming up short. Running out of space on the shield, roms not launching, front end issues, etc. I think HyperSpin was the closest I got but that's so unruly however it at least allowed everything to run off the NAS for the most part. I want to say I have the 2017 version with no sd card slots just USB.

I mean I could just use a P3 but the Shield has so much more going for it!

So I have the latest versions, mostly the tube version but one standard form factor new one as well.. I got rid of my older versions.  That said, you will need additional storage added on no matter what you do.. just not enough space regardless.  Add a USB drive and move Apps to that.  Your primary storage is just not enough.. why they give so little is beyond me.. I mean 16GB should just be a given even 4-5 years ago.

1 hour ago, Kuro Houou said:

So I have the latest versions, mostly the tube version but one standard form factor new one as well.. I got rid of my older versions.  That said, you will need additional storage added on no matter what you do.. just not enough space regardless.  Add a USB drive and move Apps to that.  Your primary storage is just not enough.. why they give so little is beyond me.. I mean 16GB should just be a given even 4-5 years ago.

So all the roms live on the NAS and all the media lives on the USB drive then?

• 2 weeks later...

Neil,

Let me just confirm my issue since I am in front of my Nvidia shield tv at the moment with my Ubuntu laptop on with a local share (roms) already set.

On my shield running:

Android 11

Updated to 9.0.2(33.1.0.301)

Security patch level February 5, 2022

I am using FX Plus trial file manager on my Nvidia shield tv and that does connect to my laptop share folder. When I open Launchbox, and try to import games, the only path is: /storage/emulated/0

I also tried moving the LaunchBox folder to my shared folder (from fx plus file manager) but no difference. ☹️

Any suggestions