LaunchBox Community Forums

Mixing different types of Mame sets?

SiriusVI

Hey everyone, 

jus a quick question which I couldn't find an answer to:

From what I've read, "split" Rom sets are preferable to "merged" rom sets. However, when it comes to CHDs, I am only ever able to find merged CHD sets, not split CHD sets.

So the question is: Can / should I combine a split mame rom set with a merged CHD set or should I go for a merged rom set to go with the merged CHD set?

7 minutes ago, SiriusVI said:

Hey everyone, 

jus a quick question which I couldn't find an answer to:

From what I've read, "split" Rom sets are preferable to "merged" rom sets. However, when it comes to CHDs, I am only ever able to find merged CHD sets, not split CHD sets.

So the question is: Can / should I combine a split mame rom set with a merged CHD set or should I go for a merged rom set to go with the merged CHD set?

Set type doesnt matter, they all work with Launchbox. As for CHD's they only come in merged, but its of no consequence to Launchbox, it doesnt need to know anything about them, only the emulator itself. So just tell MAME the CHD path, that is all that is needed, don't do anything with them in Launchbox.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Set type doesnt matter, they all work with Launchbox. As for CHD's they only come in merged, but its of no consequence to Launchbox, it doesnt need to know anything about them, only the emulator itself. So just tell MAME the CHD path, that is all that is needed, don't do anything with them in Launchbox.

Hey, thanks for that. Yeah I know not to import them into Launchbox. But I thought maybe the mame emulator would get confused if I used a Split rom set with a Merged chd set.