LaunchBox Community Forums

Adding a Video Game Generation

CaptPete

I would like to add a Video Game Generation to the Categories (if that's where it belongs?) so as to unclutter the Platforms category. i.e.

>Platforms

>2nd Generation

>Atari 2600
        >Emerson Arcadia 2001

>3rd Generation

>Atari 7800

>4th Generation

>5th Generation

> Nintendo 64

etc.

Is this possible? Is it doable for the future?

I know it's not for everyone but us archivers sure could use this function.

5 minutes ago, CaptPete said:

I would like to add a Video Game Generation to the Categories (if that's where it belongs?) so as to unclutter the Platforms category. i.e.

>Platforms

>2nd Generation

>Atari 2600
        >Emerson Arcadia 2001

>3rd Generation

>Atari 7800

>4th Generation

>5th Generation

> Nintendo 64

etc.

Is this possible? Is it doable for the future?

I know it's not for everyone but us archivers sure could use this function.

Hi @CaptPete. You can achieve this by using the Platform Categories filter. In LaunchBox, use the filter dropdown and make sure you are on Platform Categories.

Then, right click an item in your list on the left side, choose Add > Category. Categories can contain metadata and media which will be used in Big Box when navigating through your Platform Categories filter. Use the Parents tab to position where you want it shown in your hierarchy.

Then you can right click > Edit any of your platforms, go to their Parents Tab and position them where you want.

• 6 months later...
On 11/24/2021 at 7:05 AM, faeran said:

Hi @CaptPete. You can achieve this by using the Platform Categories filter. In LaunchBox, use the filter dropdown and make sure you are on Platform Categories.

Has anyone made any artwork; images or video to support these categories in BigBox that you're aware of, while i like this idea it leaves us with black screens and text titles.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cypha13 said:

Has anyone made any artwork; images or video to support these categories in BigBox that you're aware of, while i like this idea it leaves us with black screens and text titles.

The place on these forums for users to share this type of media would be the playlist media subsections within the downloads area.

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/files/category/22-playlists-playlist-media/

• 1 month later...

Good idea to sort platforms by console/platform generation. Is it possible to add custom metadata for platforms, like you can for games? Then you could add the "generation" field to each platform and populate it. 

It would be great if Launchbox could then sort platforms when in platform category view by generation (without us having to do it manually).