LaunchBox Community Forums

NES and SNES ROMS will not launch with LaunchBox

finn101

I'm somewhat experienced with emulation but new to LaunchBox. I'm trying to import my existing ROMs into LaunchBox and run them using the built-in RetroArch emulation configuration (I downloaded LaunchBox 12.3 and started from scratch). However, NES and SNES ROMs will not load when attempting to start them using LaunchBox.

With NES ROMs:

1. Click the title in LaunchBox.
  2. Click "Play".
  3. The Windows loading icon appears as if RetroArch is starting, but it goes away after a few seconds and nothing happens.

With SNES ROMs:

1. Click the title in LaunchBox.
  2. Click "Play".
  3. RetroArch opens, but nothing happens. RetroArch only displays a black screen.

Oddly enough, I can launch Sega Genesis ROMs through LaunchBox just fine and they run as expected. Also, if I run RetroArch.exe and load NES/SNES ROMs directly from RetroArch, they run as expected.

I have already checked that the system names in LaunchBox's RetroArch configuration match the name of the system in LaunchBox. I have attempted using both Nestopia and Mesen emulators for NES. I have also removed any special characters from ROM file names. I'm lost as to what else might not be configured correctly.

Edited by finn101

Do you have the correct cores selected in LB? If the games run fine directly in RA then it is a LB setting issue.

Can you provide pics of your setting.

In LB tools >Manage >Emulators and edit RA. Post 2 pics. 1 of the Details tab and 1 of the Associate Platforms tab showing the platform names affected.

• Like 1

@finn101 Apologies I forgot you replied a while back. Give what @JoeViking245 mentioned a try, although RA should be able to launch your files zipped.

Also, can you just confirm your platform names as they show in LB are actually what you have listed in the Associated Platform in the pic. For Example is your platform actually called "Nintendo Entertainment System" and not "NES"?

What you called the platform and what is listed in the Associated Platforms page has to match.

• 7 months later...