LaunchBox Community Forums

MAME - starting getting audio lag on all games

PiperCalls

I've been running the same MAME (0.220) since it came out and now for some reason I am getting audio lag in all games. It's like the audio stalls/stutters/repeats for a second or so as the game as played. I'm certain it's not a CPU issue as I have a 5600G and this is happening on nothing games like pacman, digdug, etc.

Any ideas/suggestions are welcome.

Thx...Piper

You might double check and see if you have a service or anything running in task manager with "nahimic" in the title.  It is audio junkware that comes with Realtek audio drivers (typically) and causes various problems (graphics and audio) if running with emulators (MAME and VPX to name a few).  It has a bad habit of popping up during updates without asking to turn back on.  

Also verify nothing got changed in your MAME.ini. Maybe run a quick test by backing up your original MAME.ini and using a default to see if some setting got changed.  Other than that, something is running that is conflicting so would be trial/error to see what is running in your task manager and terminating to see if corrects.

Edited by sundogak

I assume it's safe to say you're using MAME 0.220 to match your 0.220 romset.  (srry, but have to clarify ;))   And also you're seeing this using standalone MAME (vs via LB/BB).

Try setting the video mode (in MAME) to something other than auto or GDI and see if makes any difference (a sort-a process-of-elimination).

Hi, yes it's a 220 set. it's just a few hundred games hand picked so i've just stayed with that. i did for shits & giggles grab the latest 238 mame and tried and still had audio stutter. ive tried d3d, opengl & auto on vid backend and all stutter. it's not terrible but def noticeable. it's just that it's on these little nothing games that it's doing it. typically audio stutter can mean the cpu is struggling but we're talking pacman and digdug lol. i run them via lb/bb, just launching direct from mame to work this kink out.

2 hours ago, PiperCalls said:

typically audio stutter can mean the cpu is struggling

This was from a post 4 years ago, and I have no idea if it still holds true..

The DirectX version MAME is set to use is 9.0c which is only available for Windows 7 and up via installing manually. Later DirectX versions (11.0+) are not backwards compatible so a separate DirectX 9.0c is involved if you intend to use D3D. Of course, you have other options such as OPENGL and BGFX and as Haze mentioned, if any chosen video mode is not found available, you'll be reverted to software rendering which can even bring the easiest to emulation games under 100% under certain circumstances.

Again, no idea if MAME still uses 9.0c or has since 'updated'.  The full thread is here:  Sound stuttering / slow down in MAME. Video card settings to blame? : MAME (reddit.com)

You'll need to click "Continue this thread" under MAMEHaze's 2nd comment to see the rest.  But his 1st one has a direct link to DirectX 9.  

Anyway, just throwing that out there.