LaunchBox Community Forums

Can't run mame roms with retroarch core

Tackskull

Hi there,

the first time I imported mame roms on launchbox everything was working grate, I was able to play all my roms. Now I am not able to play any single rom.

- I have a mame2016 romset

- I go in launchbox, then import mame full romset

- I select the folder on my external HD which contain all my roms

- I select a mame emulator to generate metadata, for this I downloaded the latest mame emulator on the mame website

- once I completed the import of my full romset, I have all my roms been displayed on launchbox, with images and metadata

- then I set retroarch to use mame2016 core to be the main emulator to launch arcade roms

result: any of the roms just don't start......

Can you guys help me? The first time I did this, a month ago, everything was working grate, why know is not?

Thanks

2 minutes ago, Tackskull said:

- I select a mame emulator to generate metadata, for this I downloaded the latest mame emulator on the mame website

- once I completed the import of my full romset, I have all my roms been displayed on launchbox, with images and metadata

- then I set retroarch to use mame2016 core to be the main emulator to launch arcade roms

result: any of the roms just don't start......

Have you selected all your games to use RetroArch rather than Mame standalone?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Koroth said:

Have you selected all your games to use RetroArch rather than Mame standalone?

Yes, I set retroarch mame2016 core to be the default emulator to run arcade games.

Even if I right click a game, then run with retroarch mame2016, the game just doesn't start......

Edited by Tackskull

4 minutes ago, Tackskull said:

Yes, I set retroarch mame2016 core to be the default emulator to run arcade games.

That is not enough. During import you told LaunchBox to use Mame standalone for your games. You have to select all your games (ctrl + a) and bulk edit the emulator to RetroArch.

4 minutes ago, Tackskull said:

Even if I right click a game, then run with retroarch mame2016, the came just doesn't start......

Make sure that in LaunchBox > Tools > Manage > Emulators > RetroArch, "Extract ROM archives before launching" is unticked.

But do your games run when launched in RetroArch directly?

7 minutes ago, Koroth said:

That is not enough. During import you told LaunchBox to use Mame standalone for your games. You have to select all your games (ctrl + a) and bulk edit the emulator to RetroArch.

Make sure that in LaunchBox > Tools > Manage > Emulators > RetroArch, "Extract ROM archives before launching" is unticked.

But do your games run when launched in RetroArch directly?

During the import of the romset launchbox tells me that is necessary to use a standalone mame to import roms....

I did as you told me, I bulk edit all arcade roms to edit emulator using retroarch... roms still don't run.

Actually no, using the standalone mame roms don't work as well, but I think because my romset is not compatible with this version of mame I downloaded. But this romset is specific to 2016 mame, in fact the first time I did everything was working grate.... I just can't figure out why know it is not.

2 hours ago, Tackskull said:

During the import of the romset launchbox tells me that is necessary to use a standalone mame to import roms....

This is necessary because LaunchBox pulls metadata from mame.exe. Metadata RetroArch doesn't have. I do not use RetroArch for Mame emulation, so I can't help you much. But this is important:

- The games must run in RetroArch first.

- Make sure that in LaunchBox > Tools > Manage > Emulators > RetroArch, "Extract ROM archives before running" is unticked and that in the "Associated Platforms" tab, everything is set up properly.

- All games must be set to use RetroArch as the emulator.

Actually no, using the standalone mame roms don't work as well

You need to tell Mame standalone the location of your roms. Either via the Mame gui > Configure Options > Configure Directories > Roms, or by editing mame.ini.

but I think because my romset is not compatible with this version of mame I downloaded

Yes, this is a hard requirement.

Edited by Koroth

44 minutes ago, Tackskull said:

Can anybody help me with this?

@Koroth Has been helping you. Have you done/checked any of the things he mentioned? Personally I would not use such an outdated set.  

Per his posts: Did you select all games in LB, right click and edit, then set the emulator to Retroarch?

In LB manage emulators edit Retroarch and make sure the button for “Extract Rom” is not checked. 

Ill also add here, a 2016 MAME romet will have completely different neogeo bios as well as a completely different qsound file for all Capcom games, so if your romset is not matching your specific emulator there could be a ton of issues here. Also a 2016 romset is possibly from before when they started allowing the dinput commandline we use by default when importing mame, so that may also be breaking things.

Any reason why you just havent got the brand new current set, and instead downloaded a troublesome amalgamation one that isnt officially from MAME themselves?