LaunchBox Community Forums

UltraStik360's stopped being recognized on my Windows 10 machine and in my UltraMap software

TBachVanWa

I have two Ultimarc UltraStik360's for my arcade cabinet running Launchbox via Windows 10. They were working fine on my machine until I installed a rumble driver for a Voyee USB Game Cube style controller. Once I did that, Windows no longer saw the two UltraStick's. They stopped showing up in the Device Manager. I also went onto UltraMap and it read as "Not Plugged in." One thing is I also have the UltraStick Flight Stick. That has not run into any issues. It's still seen and works. I figured something must have happened to the drivers of the UltraStik joysticks. I uninstalled the Voyee rumble driver hoping that would bring them back. But still same issue. In my next step I then unplugged the two non-working UltraStiks, uninstalled UltraMap, then reinstalled Ultramap, rebooted and then plugged one of the two non working joysticks in. Nothing happened. I'm still having the same issue. The UltraStik Flight Stick still works. Wondering if someone might have any insight.

Have you tried removing the old USB composite devices for the Ultrasticks in Device Manager?

This should force a driver install the next time you plug them in.

It was a long time ago, but I had a similar issue with a corrupted firmware update. That was the advice I got from Andy at Ultimarc, which solved the issue. 

I just tried that. No luck. In device manager though the Ultrastik appears under Other Devices as "UHID Firmware Update" with a warning sign. I click on properties and it says, "The drivers for this device are not installed." I try to uninstall and then reinstall but I still get the same issue. I even tried "Update Driver," but nada.

1 hour ago, TBachVanWa said:

I just tried that. No luck. In device manager though the Ultrastik appears under Other Devices as "UHID Firmware Update" with a warning sign. I click on properties and it says, "The drivers for this device are not installed." I try to uninstall and then reinstall but I still get the same issue. I even tried "Update Driver," but nada.

Sounds like it's stuck in firmware update mode.

I'd delete everything and anything related in device manager and see if you can kickstart a firmware update again. It's been ages since I went through that, but I remember it sucked because many of the entries in device manager were generically named.

Try unplugging one or some of the other USB devices, then restarting the computer. I know on my cab, if I have the USB dongle for my wireless 360 controller plugged in, and I turn-on/restart the computer, it won't recognize any of the buttons or joysticks connected to the I-Pac (even though their basically just keyboard key presses).

But if I unplug the dongle, restart the PC, then plug it [back] in, everything is recognized.

Just a thought. Process of elimination.

The Ultrasticks are definitely stuck in Firmware upgrade mode. As mentioned in a previous post I brought one of the problematic joysticks over to a brand new installed Windows 10 machine with a clean device manager-nothing other than a mouse and USB keyboard ever connected. I still get the Ultrastick to read on that machine as "UHID Firmware Update" on its device manager.  I can get the Ultimarc  "uupload.exe" program to recognize the controller. It says "UHID Firmware Upgrade detected" but I think I need the most recent firmware to reset it? However, I can't seem to find a firmware file anywhere. I know it's been a while since these UltraSticks had a firmware update but my logic is reloading the most recent version will fix these f'ed controllers???

5 hours ago, TBachVanWa said:

The Ultrasticks are definitely stuck in Firmware upgrade mode. As mentioned in a previous post I brought one of the problematic joysticks over to a brand new installed Windows 10 machine with a clean device manager-nothing other than a mouse and USB keyboard ever connected. I still get the Ultrastick to read on that machine as "UHID Firmware Update" on its device manager.  I can get the Ultimarc  "uupload.exe" program to recognize the controller. It says "UHID Firmware Upgrade detected" but I think I need the most recent firmware to reset it? However, I can't seem to find a firmware file anywhere. I know it's been a while since these UltraSticks had a firmware update but my logic is reloading the most recent version will fix these f'ed controllers???

Looks like all the firmware files are on the Ultimarc site. (V1.55 lastest)

Which exact board do you have and it's not a pre 2015 board is it?

Edit: Latest firmware from Ultimarc web site. (Do not use this on pre 2015 boards!!!)

You have to use this version of WinIpac with new multimode firmware: Winiipac

Edited by Headrush69

My Ultimarc Ultrastick 360 issue is solved!  The Ultrasticks were indeed stuck in firmware update mode. Following the instructions for running "uupdate.exe" from Ultimarc's site was the correct way to go. I'll put them down below for reference. What was missing was the Ultrastick 360 firmware. I could not find the file the on the Ultimarc website. However, I emailed them, ie. Andy (the man does it all,) and they (he) gave me the firmware update file for the UltraStick 360....IT WORKED!! He did say that the firmware update should reset by itself if the USB joystick is unplugged and then reconnected. I couldn't get that to work after trying several times for some reason. But uploading the Ultrastick firmware using "uupdate.exe"  in conjunction with manually installing the UHID Firmware Update Driver from the Setup folder did work for me. The Ultrastick firmware is for units from 2015 onwards. Thanks to Headrush69 and JoeViking245 for responding to my post. You helped me deduce what needed to happen to fix this issue.

Below is the process from Ultimarc's Programmers page that got me out of my UltraStick 360 Stuck in UHID Firmware Update Mode pickle. The correct firmware for the Ultrastick 360 newer than 2015 is here: Ultrastik_37.ufw.

All our firmware-upgradeable USB products use the same method for upgrade.
This is how it should work:

Firmware upgrade requested from the appropriate utility (WinIPAC, Ultramap, U-Config etc) The utility must be right-clicked and "run as administrator".
A driver is pre-installed automatically. This is the only time any of our products require a custom driver.
The device is shut down by the utility and then resets as a different device, which is known as a "Firmware Upgrade Device".
This new device should appear in Device Manager, if the "USB Controllers" entry is expanded.
A program called "uupload.exe" is started automatically by the utility. The utility is then closed down.
The "uupload.exe" window should appear and a "device detected" message should appear.
The firmware file is selected from this window and upgrade should proceed. Do not be concerned if the progress bar does not show.
The upgrade should take max 5 minutes. After that, the device is reset back into normal operation mode, and at this point the uupload program can no longer see it, and should display "No device detected or upgrade complete".
What can go wrong:

Uupload.exe cant find the upgrade device
The most common reason for this is the custom driver install has failed. This can be checked by starting device manager and expanding the "USB Controller" entry. The device might be showing with an error, or there might ne a new device somewhere else in Device Manager which has failed to install.
The fix for this is as follows:

Download the manually-installed driver from the link in the section below and run "setup" located in the setup folder. NOTE: Must be right-clicked and "run as administrator".
Right click on the failed device and "uninstall"
Click "Scan for new hardware". The driver should install.
Re-run the "uupload.exe" program which is located in the install folder of WinIPAC, UltraMap, U-Config etc, and re-try the upgrade.

Firmware upgrade locks up or fails to finish, resulting in stuck in upgrade mode
Simply re-run the "uupload.exe" program which is located in the install folder of WinIPAC, UltraMap, U-Config etc, and re-try the upgrade.

9 hours ago, TBachVanWa said:

I thought this firmware is only for the control boards like the Ipac, Ipac 4, U-HID,etc. But is it also for the USB Ultrasticks?

Yup, my mistake. Too many open tabs, and mixing up conversations. 🤐

Glad you got the right tools and got it fixed. Now just have to figure out how it got like that so you don't have that issue again. 😉