LaunchBox Community Forums

Issues with the Latest Firmware on Nvidia Shield TV Devices - How To Fix

Jason Carr

A follow up to after having factory reset. I installed Launchbox without my external drive connected and everything was fine. Added the external and tried to load Launchbox, instant crash with the same errors as before. It's like Launchbox is trying to write itself to the external drive.

Final Update:

• Format External Drive to NTFS in Windows Computer Management
  • Partitioned drive with Remote ADB on Shield
  • Formatted new partition to NTFS in Windows Computer Management
  • Created new NVIDIA_SHIELD folder in newly formatted partition and added Files into a sub folder
  • Moved Launchbox installation from External to internal drive on Shield

Started Launchbox (without crash) and continued adding games.
It seems all is good now. I don't know if all of this needed to be done, but it worked for me.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, nanbean said:

Final Update:

• Format External Drive to NTFS in Windows Computer Management
  • Partitioned drive with Remote ADB on Shield
  • Formatted new partition to NTFS in Windows Computer Management
  • Created new NVIDIA_SHIELD folder in newly formatted partition and added Files into a sub folder
  • Moved Launchbox installation from External to internal drive on Shield

Started Launchbox (without crash) and continued adding games.
It seems all is good now. I don't know if all of this needed to be done, but it worked for me.

Thank you for clarifying all that, and sorry for any extra complication there. I do need to review a new setup process on the Shield devices with the latest firmware, as it shouldn't require all of that, but I haven't tested the process in a while, honestly.

7 hours ago, nanbean said:

@Jason Carr Previously I had only added one console, So I copied over my library to the external. Popped it onto the Shield and the Shield slows down to a complete halt. I give up! I guess it's time to ditch this device. Thanks for nothing Nvidia.

Huh, I have quite a few platforms on my Shield without any major slowdowns. But yes, those Shield devices are definitely getting fairly long in the tooth, especially when you compare them to modern phones and tablets.

• 1 year later...

Hi @all,

I'm sorry for crashing in, but whats the current status? After several trys  I finally got LB downloading and installing a theme and running a ROM through Retroarch. What I did:

New shield tv pro, USB stick formatted as internal storage, latest fw, LB 1.12 fresh install (on stick). After installation, granting access, LB started fine. Wanted to start with downloading themes, agter downloading-> error, couldn't find part in temp folder.

ok, wanted to install retroarch, sideloaded retroarch aarch64 => not recognized by LB. Downloaded through LB, LB asked for permission to install apk through app, granted=> LB crashes. (Under LB\Emulators, the apk was downloaded). Tried again to download/install retroarch through LB\Manage Retroarch -> went through again and then installed it like it should.

Then imported 1 NES ROM to LB -> worked.

Retried to install a theme -> this time it worked.

I saw a different topic from 2019 where is told to install/move LB to internal storage, still necessary? When I try to change install location of LB under settings-> LB crashes.

Also after specific circumstances, LB crashes during launching and "loading interface"to home and doesn't start anymore (till loading screen then crashes). Have to deinstall, delete the LB leftover folder under storage emulated, then reinstall.

I didnt had those issues with my Philips Android TV 11 OS (32bit) nor with the Shield Tube 2019 with latest FW (32bit) that I sold again for upgrading to PRO.

Edited by goliath