LaunchBox Community Forums

mame unable to create the direct3d device after Bezelproject install

Talphadogg

So I had mame running perfectly but then I used the Bezelproject installer (windows) to see what the hubbub about bezels was. Admittedly they are cool however, after running 1-2 games I am now get the error "mame unable to create the direct3d device (88760868)" after installing them? It doesn't matter if I launch them through Launchbox or independently either, I get the same result. I tried doing a fresh install of mame 0.240b through launchbox and from the actual installer from mamedev (the version I was running before hand) and the problem persists. All the info about this error seems to be 3-6 years old but I haven't sifted through enough old forums to figure out a solution yet so I figured I'd ask here. I've un-enabled the bezels through the bezelproject program and then uninstalled it (which still left some files in its install directory -_-) . I'm was still getting the error from all three installs of mame (so I deleted all three and tried one last time to do a fresh install which didn't work out). Any advice on how to save my arcade setup without nuking it and starting from scratch?

Mame not loading.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2022 at 4:09 PM, Talphadogg said:

So I had mame running perfectly but then I used the Bezelproject installer (windows) to see what the hubbub about bezels was. Admittedly they are cool however, after running 1-2 games I am now get the error "mame unable to create the direct3d device (88760868)" after installing them? It doesn't matter if I launch them through Launchbox or independently either, I get the same result. I tried doing a fresh install of mame 0.240b through launchbox and from the actual installer from mamedev (the version I was running before hand) and the problem persists. All the info about this error seems to be 3-6 years old but I haven't sifted through enough old forums to figure out a solution yet so I figured I'd ask here. I've un-enabled the bezels through the bezelproject program and then uninstalled it (which still left some files in its install directory -_-) . I'm was still getting the error from all three installs of mame (so I deleted all three and tried one last time to do a fresh install which didn't work out). Any advice on how to save my arcade setup without nuking it and starting from scratch?

Mame not loading.png

Have you fixed that direct3d issue yet?

3 hours ago, SmashNickles said:

I had to adjust my display resolution

Yes I restarted my machine (the ol turn it off and on again trick). All is working fine now so not sure what I managed to mess up. After the restart I reinstalled mame through launchbox mame importer. Then reinstalled the bezels just to make sure that was the issue but the bezels are working perfectly in tandem with mame. I dont know what I did to break it in the first place?

• 5 months later...

so i had this error too on a fresh import of full mame romset using the importer tool, and as part of that also did the download bezels but dont know that this part has anything to do with the issue.  here was the fix that worked for me, found at https://www.mameworld.info/ forum

previously i had tried updating directX but it said i was already up to date.  basically the fix was in the mame.ini set the video to use 'opengl' instead of set to 'auto'

from minglw: at mameworld.info forum
At first, I thought it has to do with Direct-X.
So I searched a few forums and found a solution:
If I turn off "Use hardware acceleration" from the DirectDraw tab from the Direct-X control panel, then MAME runs fine.

However, doing this breaks other games (i.e. MegaPlex) that I wanted to play.

Luckily, in the end, I found a solution that works for both.
Here's what I did and hopefully someone also find it useful:

In the MAME.ini file (if you don't have one, run "mame -cc" to create one),
in the "OSD VIDEO OPTIONS" section, change the video line to:

video opengl

Then save the MAME.ini file.
After that, MAME works.

Edited by zoemorn
  • Thanks 1