LaunchBox Community Forums

How to correctly configure VICE C64 emulator on LB?

legolas119

HI

i'm trying VICE as a C64/C128 and VIC20 emulator.  I would like to correctly import and configure it on LB, in order to automatically lauch every game (.D64, .T64, .G64 format and multiple disk games too) as i already do with every other emulator.

Please, can you help me?

thank you very much!

• 5 months later...

WinVice comes with different executables, the older x64 and a newer x64sc, which also features a cycle based and pixel accurate VIC-II emulation. 

It also has some executables for Plus 4, PET or C128 if you wanna play around 😉

The emulator is quite self explanatory if you're familiar with the C64, I don't even know if I changed any settings out of the box, it just runs games fine. You might have to change the drive options if you're using .d71 files. 

Edited by DeadVoivod

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 8/25/2022 at 11:10 PM, DeadVoivod said:

WinVice comes with different executables, the older x64 and a newer x64sc, which also features a cycle based and pixel accurate VIC-II emulation. 

It also has some executables for Plus 4, PET or C128 if you wanna play around 😉

The emulator is quite self explanatory if you're familiar with the C64, I don't even know if I changed any settings out of the box, it just runs games fine. You might have to change the drive options if you're using .d71 files. 

hi! I started to configure Vice64, the same as you :) 

Before to configure it in LB, i need to try it with games and i have several issues, please can you help me?

1) in Setting --> Input --> i set my Xbox One joypad as Joystick #1 and Numpad as joystick #2.  But it seems that even if the xbox controller is recognized, it is not possible to correctly use its input into the games. For example even if i'm able to start a game (a single disk game), i'm not able to play it because i don't know which are the commands into the joystick. For example RUN/STOP command, and so on...so i'm not able to skip the first page and go ahead...Is it necessary to set up the joypad mapping in several ways?

2) Almost all my roms are .D64 format.  Some games are .T64. If i try to run a .D64 game with 2 disks, like Last Ninja 2, how can i run it? I choosed File --> Attached DIsk Image --> Drive #8 --> i choosed the first disk and push Autostart:

Cattura.png

then, i pushed F5:

Cattura2.png

and i'm here, but i'm not able to go ahead...

Cattura3.png

Same issue with all the others multiple disk games..probably in order to correctly load them it is necvessary to load simultaneously ALL the disks, is that correct?

For example, i load the first disk of turrican on Drive #8:

Cattura4.png

but i don't know how to go ahead..probably it is necessary to load all the 4 disks..?

3) i tried several single disk game, but even if they started, i'm not able to play any of them...it seems that any command is detected or sometimes there is a black screen and the game doesn't start after the title screen

Do you have some suggestions?

thank you very much

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really understand what you mean? Clearly you are using games with trainers, so why don't you press the buttons what it shows? 

Usually to continue you just press space, or first Y or N if you wanna use trainer or not. Don't need to load all the disks, and btw, Turrican has 2 disks and not 4.

When you need the 2nd disk, the game will anyway let you know when to swap, and then you just go back to the emulator and attach the 2nd disk. 

Also the C64 has 2 gameports, if you use the wrong one it's obviously not working, there's on ALT-something key press to swap ports though. 

thanks.

First of all, i launching every game in this way: File --> Smart Attach --> choose the file --> push Autostart. Is this way the right one?

For example, in Last Ninja, i pushed F5 in order to start the game, but after that i don't know how to go ahead after this title screen. I tried all the F button and all the joypad button...

https://postlmg.cc/5Hcb05Ms

Armalyte, Bubble Bobble, H.E.R.O, IK+.: it ask me to pushg RUN/STOP to start the game...but which are these buttons? Any joypad/keyboard button seems to be mapped to RUN/STOP... Only the SPACE button works (both in joypad and keyboard) in order to read instructions

Turrican: i don't know how to go ahead...every button doens't work: 

https://postimg.cc/18SbjyD3

Creatures: i push F8 but it appear a black screen...and nothing else happens:

Cattura6.png

Creatures 2: after choosing several options, the game freezes immediately, it doesn't start:

Cattura7.png

Enforcer and Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders it appears this screen and i don't know how to go ahead:

Cattura5.png

Impossible mIssion: it works, but only with commands on the keyboard even if i set xbox Joystick into the emulator settings. I'm able to use directional buttons (8, 2, 4, 6 and fire button = 0) on the keyboard. Nothing else. Is it possible to use the joystick?

Katakis: i choosed several options and when i start the game, there is a black screen...nothing happens...

Maniac Mansion: after the first screen, there is a black screen...and the game doesn't go ahead..

Mayhem in Monsterland: i choosed several options and when i start the game, there is this screen and the game doesn't start...

Cattura9.png

Prince of Persia: works, but as Mission Impossible, i'm not able to use the joystick

Skate or Die: black screen, the game doesn't start at all

Summer Games II: not loaded at all

Cattura10.png

Turrican 2: i tried 2 different version: the first one freezes during the opening. The 2nd one freezes after choosing START GAME, there is a black screen...

i don't know how can i solve all these issues...only 3 games works... :(

thanks!

Edited by legolas119

I use the Retroarch vice core, but I downloaded and started a copy of Last Ninja just to try.

My version didn't have the Function keys in the trainer menu. but I eventually got to the same screen as you. I was unable to get the game to start using the joystick. I pulled up the on-screenstatus bar and verified the joystick inputs were working.

Next step I brought up the virtual on-screen keyboard and hitting RETURN started the game. Dumb that a joystick button wouldn't start it, but seems a lot of older games used different combinations in lieu of any real standards.

Impossible Mission, Prince of Persia and Summer Games II all work with this core, so they should work with standalone. (I just find the Retroarch core easier to use and looks great with the Mega shaders and bezels by Duimon.

3 hours ago, DeadVoivod said:

Did you never try the Hoxs64 emulator, I kinda like it. 

Yes, a long time ago before the Retroarch core.

I liked it better than Vice, but if I'm remembering correctly, it was a glitch with sound that ultimately made me switch. Also, since I'm running it in a cabinet, the on-screen virtual keybord with the Retroarch Vice core, allowed me to add pretty much any C64 game without needing a keyboard attached to my cabinet.

i tried to confgiure retroarch, but i don't like it...i prefer to use standalone emulators... in any case, the game shoudl work with the stand alone emulator too... i realluy don't know why they don't correctly work... i don't know if i need to change any setting...