LaunchBox Community Forums

Content Directory Overrides don't work with .zipped ROMs?

poodadoo

This is half question and half assumption.  I'm trying to use gamebatte for Gameboy and Gameboy Color... Both directories have zipped ROMs... it's my experience that unzipping the roms "on the fly" moves them to a temp directory (and therefore, content directory overrides don't work).

Am I correct in that assumption?  Is there a way to override that behavior and have it look at the directory BEFORE the unzipping occurs or is my best solution to just unzip ROMs that share a common core?  How time consuming is it to change launchbox from finding .zip ROMs to finding the actual ROM files?

10 minutes ago, poodadoo said:

This is half question and half assumption.  I'm trying to use gamebatte for Gameboy and Gameboy Color... Both directories have zipped ROMs... it's my experience that unzipping the roms "on the fly" moves them to a temp directory (and therefore, content directory overrides don't work).

Why unzip them? The Retroarch gambatte core will load the zips directly.

Because I want to use content directory overrides.  I want a different overlay for gameboy games and gameboy color games.  When I have them zipped, they get unzipped to the \temp directory and therefore retroarch is looking for content directory overrides for "temp"

7 minutes ago, poodadoo said:

Because I want to use content directory overrides.  I want a different overlay for gameboy games and gameboy color games.  When I have them zipped, they get unzipped to the \temp directory and therefore retroarch is looking for content directory overrides for "temp"

That's my point, don't have LB unzip them.

You say you have them in separate directories, than content directory overrides will work.  (zipped in different folders)

Edited by Headrush69

Then why do my logs say No content directory overrides found for D:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\7-Zip\Temp\temp.cfg?

It appears to me that retroarch is considering my temp directory as my content directory and therefore not honoring my cfg files for each of the source directories.

9 hours ago, poodadoo said:

Then why do my logs say No content directory overrides found for D:\LaunchBox\ThirdParty\7-Zip\Temp\temp.cfg?

It appears to me that retroarch is considering my temp directory as my content directory and therefore not honoring my cfg files for each of the source directories.

I couldn't say without some kind of log file, but obviously somewhere that option to unzip files is still active. 

Are you 100% sure that option is turned off in the emulator settings in LB both in the main configuration screen and the associated platforms screen?

10 hours ago, poodadoo said:

That is the temp folder where Launchbox unzips too, so you are still unzipping those games, uncheck that option in Launchbox and just pass the zip, then the content directories will be where your roms are and the overrides will work.

52 minutes ago, poodadoo said:

Thanks for the advice.  That seemed to do the trick.  Now I'm just wondering if it's worth it to have them zipped ... Just seems like extra overhead for such small ROM files

Not worth it at all, the difference in space it's negligible for most ROMs and disc based games have their own compressed format (chd), Unzipped roms load faster (specailly on mechanical drives) and make SSDs live longer (by saving writing cycles).