LaunchBox Community Forums

Use Back Button but not access the Big Box Menu?

CX123

In Big Box is it possible to have the back button be different than the menu button?

I use Unified Redux as the overall theme. I like to use platform view for the games. The problem is that when I have guests over playing the arcade, sometimes they hit the back button multiple times and end up in the Big Box menu. Which is a problem because they lose interest, thinking they are screwing something up.

I'm wondering if it is possible to access the Big Box menu with a different button, besides the back button? Or is the back button and accessing the Big Box menu button tied together?

Since I can't figure this out, my solution was changing the Default Startup View to "All Games" versus using the "Platform View" (which sucks because platform view is my preference). Then I mapped the back button to the "B" button on my keyboard, so I only can access the BigBox menu via the computer keyboard. However this has caused two other issues. Because I don't have the back button working on the cabinet any longer, I had to stop using the platform view, because I can't back out of a platform now, without using the keyboard. The other issue I have is in the "All Games" default startup view, I don't have any background art work. Before the platform art work would show up, but now it's just a plain grey background. The game logos in the wheel are still there and box art/cabinet art for the games. Just nothing in the background.  

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use platform view, so I can get the different platform videos, however in order to do so, I have to use the back button. Which I don't want to do because I don't want to access the menu.  

So if anyone knows how to make accessing the Big Box menu a different button then the back button, please share. If this is not possible, would anyone have an idea on how I can maybe add a background to the All Games view so it's not just a plain grey background?

5 minutes ago, CX123 said:

In Big Box is it possible to have the back button be different than the menu button?

I use Unified Redux as the overall theme. I like to use platform view for the games. The problem is that when I have guests over playing the arcade, sometimes they hit the back button multiple times and end up in the Big Box menu. Which is a problem because they lose interest, thinking they are screwing something up.

I'm wondering if it is possible to access the Big Box menu with a different button, besides the back button? Or is the back button and accessing the Big Box menu button tied together?

Since I can't figure this out, my solution was changing the Default Startup View to "All Games" versus using the "Platform View" (which sucks because platform view is my preference). Then I mapped the back button to the "B" button on my keyboard, so I only can access the BigBox menu via the computer keyboard. However this has caused two other issues. Because I don't have the back button working on the cabinet any longer, I had to stop using the platform view, because I can't back out of a platform now, without using the keyboard. The other issue I have is in the "All Games" default startup view, I don't have any background art work. Before the platform art work would show up, but now it's just a plain grey background. The game logos in the wheel are still there and box art/cabinet art for the games. Just nothing in the background.  

Ultimately, I'd like to be able to use platform view, so I can get the different platform videos, however in order to do so, I have to use the back button. Which I don't want to do because I don't want to access the menu.  

So if anyone knows how to make accessing the Big Box menu a different button then the back button, please share. If this is not possible, would anyone have an idea on how I can maybe add a background to the All Games view so it's not just a plain grey background?

There is actually a option in Bigbox that allows you to make that be a hold, so you cant get to the options sscreen unless you hold that button down for a time, so that stops accidental option opening.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 8:17 AM, neil9000 said:

There is actually a option in Bigbox that allows you to make that be a hold, so you cant get to the options sscreen unless you hold that button down for a time, so that stops accidental option opening.

Never noticed this option before and now I can't live without it, thanks!

• 2 months later...