LaunchBox Community Forums

Hey'all, this has probably been covered. But I can't find a simple reolution. Adding Rom Hacks.

PedgeJameson

1 hour ago, PedgeJameson said:

Has this ever been solved? I have a few great SEGA Genesis hacks such as a translated Bare Knuckle 3 I cannot add at all.

Any help would be great, thanks.

What's the issue exactly that you are having?

Rom hacks can just be added like any other console rom. You can either add them to the standard platform or create a custom hack platform to add them into. Plenty of users have been adding them for years.

When you import the rom the import wizard UI will open a screen for you to select "What platform are you importing games for?". In the drop down box simply type the name of the new platform you want to create (you can click in the box and type you are not stuck to only using the populated drop-down items). Then in the "Scrape As" field you can leave it blank or select the original platform to scrape that the original rom is from. That part is up to you as leaving it blank will bring no metadata. LB Games DB does not have metadata on Rom Hacks.

Screen Shot 2022-05-22 at 8.45.06 PM.png

5 minutes ago, PedgeJameson said:

Ok, it could only find one hacked rom. Bare Knuckle ENG. All the Sonic hacks and others won't show up.

To clarify, are you saying they aren't added into LB or that meta data isn't downloaded?

As Retro808 mentioned, The LB database doesn't have hacks roms, so unless you are scraping using a platform that matches where Emumovies has them (and it has those hacks), you won't get that meta data added.

1 minute ago, Headrush69 said:

To clarify, are you saying they aren't added into LB or that meta data isn't downloaded?

As Retro808 mentioned, The LB database doesn't have hacks roms, so unless you are scraping using a platform that matches where Emumovies has them (and it has those hacks), you won't get that meta data added.

Under Ready to Import, only 2 show up.

5 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Yeah I'm just trying to get them into a category. Only 2 show up in the wizard.

14 minutes ago, PedgeJameson said:

Under Ready to Import, only 2 show up.

In the import options did you select Allow Duplicates?

Sometimes when a rom doesn't import I find it's because LB thinks it's already installed. Since text between ( ) and [ ] which are used in hack rom names a lot aren't used when importing the rom, that could be part of the issue.

• Like 1

Just now, Headrush69 said:

In the import options did you select Allow Duplicates?

Sometimes when a rom doesn't import I find it's because LB thinks it's already installed. Since text between ( ) and [ ] which are used in hack rom names a lot aren't used when importing the rom, that could be part of the issue.

Ahh, lemme try that.