LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox black screen after launch retro arch game

Neosoul

4 minutes ago, Atki2022 said:

That makes sense, I should have mentioned it was while loading mame/arcade roms.. hadn’t moved to any other platforms. It’s odd that everything works fine when launching from retroarch but while trying to launch from LB it’s not having it despite having all mame/alpha etc cores downloaded.. I have updated all parts of retroarch too. It will be good to sort this out as LB looks great. I could add video a bit later if permissible/possible.

You dont have Launchbox extracting your roms for that platform do you? That will break Arcade games.

2 hours ago, Atki2022 said:

That makes sense, I should have mentioned it was while loading mame/arcade roms.. hadn’t moved to any other platforms. It’s odd that everything works fine when launching from retroarch but while trying to launch from LB it’s not having it despite having all mame/alpha etc cores downloaded.. I have updated all parts of retroarch too. It will be good to sort this out as LB looks great. I could add video a bit later if permissible/possible.

There's a number of common mistakes that people can do while setting up MAME on LaunchBox for Android. Here are just a couple:

• You are not using a MAME full set, or you are using a MAME variant (like MAME 2003 or FB Neo), but during import you left on the option "This is a Full MAME Set". - This would cause LaunchBox to import links to rom files you don't even have, causing the black screen. You would have to delete the platform out of LaunchBox for Android, and reimport with this option off.
  • You have a MAME full set, and you know it's a recent version, but you are pointing to the wrong core. - This can be confusing because there's a core called mame_libretro_android.so, which is not the core you want. The core that gets downloaded inside of RetroArch is called mamearcade_libretro_android.so

5 hours ago, faeran said:

There's a number of common mistakes that people can do while setting up MAME on LaunchBox for Android. Here are just a couple:

• You are not using a MAME full set, or you are using a MAME variant (like MAME 2003 or FB Neo), but during import you left on the option "This is a Full MAME Set". - This would cause LaunchBox to import links to rom files you don't even have, causing the black screen. You would have to delete the platform out of LaunchBox for Android, and reimport with this option off.
  • You have a MAME full set, and you know it's a recent version, but you are pointing to the wrong core. - This can be confusing because there's a core called mame_libretro_android.so, which is not the core you want. The core that gets downloaded inside of RetroArch is called mamearcade_libretro_android.so

I have tried both mame full set on and off during the adding platform process and unfortunately neither had any effect on the current issue.

I downloaded every core possible in retroarch and pointed to many different cores in launchbox during my testing but to no avail.

LB goes to retroarch in most cases but just doesn’t launch the game.. it seems to just stutter there is an issue but with all cores there and retroarch being able to launch games when not using LB as the front end.

when I go to RA website there are many download options but I am downloading android version file: retroarch.aarch64.apk which installs fine, I give folder access and again runs roms fine but just not with LB as the front end.

Thanks for your help, and again I’m keen to get this working as I really want a frontend for this Odin and LB looks great.

Btw since I only just purchased LB I have now installed it on my RP2+ the exact same way and there is no issue.. so that would suggest I'm doing the basics (right version of RA and basic options) correctly. Hope something can be ascertained from that? Thanks again.

13 hours ago, Jason Carr said:

@Atki2022 The Odin Pro is confirmed working with this stuff, so it has to somehow be a settings issue, either in RetroArch or LaunchBox. If you've imported multiple times and multiple different sets, perhaps there could be an issue with the file paths in LaunchBox?

I have resolved this issue; the black screen to nowhere after selecting a game in LB just needs a different core selection. The other issue where the selection would end up opening RA, trying to load (for a split second) and then bouncing back to RA was the RA app was still open and deep in its menu and needed to be quit before launching from LB. I even managed to drop all my bios files into the system folder and that appears to be looking good too.

Thanks for your help on that. I do have another query; I have all my gameplay videos but don't know where to add them.. can someone point me to where I need to add these? Thanks again.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:21 PM, Atki2022 said:

I have resolved this issue; the black screen to nowhere after selecting a game in LB just needs a different core selection. The other issue where the selection would end up opening RA, trying to load (for a split second) and then bouncing back to RA was the RA app was still open and deep in its menu and needed to be quit before launching from LB. I even managed to drop all my bios files into the system folder and that appears to be looking good too.

Thanks for your help on that. I do have another query; I have all my gameplay videos but don't know where to add them.. can someone point me to where I need to add these? Thanks again.

Unfortunately right now there are only two different ways to add videos:

1. Download them from EmuMovies in LaunchBox for Android
  2. Export your collection from the desktop app (LaunchBox for Windows)

So if you need to manually import videos, for the moment it can only be done on the desktop and then exported to Android. We will be adding more options for that in the future.