LaunchBox Community Forums

LaunchBox OS - A Complete operating system like Steam OS

TrexBlazeX2

Hey guys

check this out! You know how Steam has its Steam operating system. Well I was thinkin just make an OS that installs like batocera, can launchbox be made into a complete operating system like Steam OS or batocera where you turn on your PC and all you need is your controller to operate launchbox is. What y’all think yay for the LaunchBox OS or hell no keep launchbox how it is

10 hours ago, TrexBlazeX2 said:

Hey guys

check this out! You know how Steam has its Steam operating system. Well I was thinkin just make an OS that installs like batocera, can launchbox be made into a complete operating system like Steam OS or batocera where you turn on your PC and all you need is your controller to operate launchbox is. What y’all think yay for the LaunchBox OS or hell no keep launchbox how it is

We would love to be able to do this eventually, but it definitely hinges on being able to put out a Linux release first. That is a difficult thing in itself, though.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This idea

On 6/23/2022 at 1:21 AM, TrexBlazeX2 said:

Hey guys

SteamOS is build on Debian 8 I believe.    So its building on the backs of all the Linux Devs that came before it. 
Batocera is built of buildroot I think...?    Its super stripped down, but also built on the linux kernel.  So there is a lot of "work" that others have done that Batocera builds on top of. 

Making LaunchboxOS would mean that it would be responsible for:

All motherboard support
All video card support

All peripheral support (USB devices, sound games, etc)

Basically, all drivers.   For everything.   Every possible combination of hardware that makes up a "PC".  This is way the Raspberry PI is so popular - everything is using the exact same board.  So all development is unified. 

So...  on top of building Launchbox features, the developers would be getting bombed with "My random PC part I bought on AliExpress doesn't work" questions.  Not a place I'd want to be. 

This is one of the biggest draws to Windows - DirectX.  Microsoft made a bunch of APIs that developers could commonly call (Back in 1995), and then Microsoft does all the heavy lifting with mapping those API calls do the hardware layer.  Its a middle man translator.   Not entirely sure how Linux does it, but I remember a time not to long ago (say, less than ~10 years ago?) where getting anything to work on Linux was a nitemare.   Its come a long way, but its still a mess in my opinion for desktop users. 

4 minutes ago, Fursphere said:

This idea

SteamOS is build on Debian 8 I believe.    So its building on the backs of all the Linux Devs that came before it. 
Batocera is built of buildroot I think...?    Its super stripped down, but also built on the linux kernel.  So there is a lot of "work" that others have done that Batocera builds on top of. 

Making LaunchboxOS would mean that it would be responsible for:

All motherboard support
All video card support

All peripheral support (USB devices, sound games, etc)

Basically, all drivers.   For everything.   Every possible combination of hardware that makes up a "PC".  This is way the Raspberry PI is so popular - everything is using the exact same board.  So all development is unified. 

So...  on top of building Launchbox features, the developers would be getting bombed with "My random PC part I bought on AliExpress doesn't work" questions.  Not a place I'd want to be. 

This is one of the biggest draws to Windows - DirectX.  Microsoft made a bunch of APIs that developers could commonly call (Back in 1995), and then Microsoft does all the heavy lifting with mapping those API calls do the hardware layer.  Its a middle man translator.   Not entirely sure how Linux does it, but I remember a time not to long ago (say, less than ~10 years ago?) where getting anything to work on Linux was a nitemare.   Its come a long way, but its still a mess in my opinion for desktop users. 

If we were to put out a LaunchBox OS, of course we would base it on an existing version of Linux, so hopefully hardware compatibility wouldn't be all-consuming.

That said, this is just a pipe dream for the moment. Native Linux development is still in the cards, but unfortunately we're stuck waiting on better software development support in a number of areas before that can really happen.

11 minutes ago, Jason Carr said:

If we were to put out a LaunchBox OS, of course we would base it on an existing version of Linux, so hopefully hardware compatibility wouldn't be all-consuming.

That said, this is just a pipe dream for the moment. Native Linux development is still in the cards, but unfortunately we're stuck waiting on better software development support in a number of areas before that can really happen.

Dreams are good.  :)

For me, personally, having been in the emulation game for multiple decades now, every time I think about switching to linux, I usually find some core function that isn't compatible.   Like some emulator I use, or some piece of hardware I use
just isn't going to work.  (I think the Mayflash Dolphin bar is currently on that list of things that don't work in Linux for me).  LEDBlinky is another tricky one.  Or my entire virtual pinball cabinet would be a mess in Linux.   basically having to run WINE, which at that point...  just run Windows.  lol

Long story short - Linux is a hobby in itself.  For everyone that loves  Linux, more power to ya.  :)

in all honestly, i dual boot with batocera. Batocera in my option is extremely refined as a stand alone OS (in some ways i feel its nicer than LB with how handles multiple types of controllers and random things like manuals), and likely would take some work to compete.  The literally only reason i dual boot to use big box is access to windows based games

I was going to do batocera but too much of a hassle. Just like Steam os. But for people like me that’s too shook to switch to anything, just keep windows mainly for compatibility reasons. U could get Retrobat which is a fork or aka port of batocera and install it onto ur windows gaming system and use it like batocera without having to do a dual boot or giving up windows altogether. What u think?

• 3 months later...
On 6/23/2022 at 4:21 AM, TrexBlazeX2 said:

Hey guys

Yes, this would be amazing if Launchbox could be an applicance and 100% seamless. Perhaps Steam OS w/ Proton could  be used as a basis?

Even if not, it would be great if someone posted a Windows configuration tool to make the experience kisok like?

Edited by coolspot