LaunchBox Community Forums

How to Import Mame roms but COPY INTO LAUNCHBOX??

duhmez

I did the full mame set import but here was not the option to copy the roms or leave them there.  I want to copy them because I want launchbox portable. Also I do not want to swap the folder in settings and copy all the roms as that is wasted space, I want the importer to import only the roms i chose,

I know I could wipe it and copy the roms into launchbox first before import, but then all the unimported roms will be i nthere wasting space.

IS something wrong here, it seems like a bug not asking where to put the roms, or a huge oversight somehow, as regular rom  import always asks about leave roms there or copy to.

Any help or ideas appreciated!

Its not a bug or an oversight. It is by design. The full set option does not actually import roms. It uses Mame’s actual Mame.xaml to simply list the roms noted as “playable” by Mame itself.

Moving roms would only be possible with a non-merged set as ant other set would not include the needed support files for various roms. So you could use the feature request option (located under Help & Support) to request a move feature in Full Mame option if the users has a non-merged set. 

1 hour ago, duhmez said:

it seems like a bug not asking where to put the roms, or a huge oversight somehow,

As noted unless you have a Non-Merged romset you cannot separate your roms like that as it will break a bunch of your games, so having Launchbox do that, and by default no less is a big mistake and will cause tons of issues for people. If you want to only have the games you want you need a Non-Merged romset, import it, and use the export to folder option to move the roms out somewhere, you would then delete the platform and run the importer again with the same settings and point to the location of your trimmed romset.

That is super interesting and now I fully understand why.  I had not thought of this issue. I fuly understand what the sets mean, and mine is merged. I wil move the entire set into Launchbox  folder first and import it there and not worry about wasted space. 60 Gb set not a big deal. Thanks guys.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 7:06 AM, neil9000 said:

As noted unless you have a Non-Merged romset you cannot separate your roms like that as it will break a bunch of your games, so having Launchbox do that, and by default no less is a big mistake and will cause tons of issues for people. If you want to only have the games you want you need a Non-Merged romset, import it, and use the export to folder option to move the roms out somewhere, you would then delete the platform and run the importer again with the same settings and point to the location of your trimmed romset.

Edit: Nevermind, I just copied them over manually...there weren't that many to sort through so it didn't take long 

I've been going through this process with my non-merged set. I know the "export ROM files" doesn't do anything with your CHD files, so what's the best way to copy those over for the purpose of trimming down your set?

Edited by maxforwardspeed