LaunchBox Community Forums

Darker screen after closing out of games

AngryEeyore

So I have Windows 11 running HDR mode at 4k and when I fire up games everything is bright and vibrant and when I close out of them my screen is 10 times darker until I toggle to SDR then back to HDR. This doesn't happen with standard Steam games just emulation. So far I am using the predesignated RetroArch cores and auto configs LaunchBox sets up when transferring all my roms. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

5 minutes ago, AngryEeyore said:

So I have Windows 11 running HDR mode at 4k and when I fire up games everything is bright and vibrant and when I close out of them my screen is 10 times darker until I toggle to SDR then back to HDR. This doesn't happen with standard Steam games just emulation. So far I am using the predesignated RetroArch cores and auto configs LaunchBox sets up when transferring all my roms. Anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Emulators do not support HDR, so its switching out of HDR mode when you launch games, but this is never handled gracefully, hence you having to toggle it off and back on. As far as i know there is nothing you can do about it, i have been dealing with it myself for years now.

Just now, neil9000 said:

Emulators do not support HDR, so its switching out of HDR mode when you launch games, but this is never handled gracefully, hence you having to toggle it off and back on. As far as i know there is nothing you can do about it, i have been dealing with it myself for years now.

Should I just toggle my HDR off before firing up any emulators then?

1 minute ago, AngryEeyore said:

Should I just toggle my HDR off before firing up any emulators then?

Yeah i do the opposite, i toggle it on when running a supported game, but have it off by default as its so buggy and all over the place, i also have multiple monitors, so that messes with the HDR also. You can quickly toggle it on/off with Windows key, ALT and b.

• Like 1

Just now, neil9000 said:

Yeah i do the opposite, i toggle it on when running a supported game, but have it off by default as its so buggy and all over the place, i also have multiple monitors, so that messes with the HDR also. You can quickly toggle it on/off with Windows key, ALT and b.

Thank you very much!

5 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

I do the same. In the past I used programs as AutoHDR and HDRswitch to toggle HDR on and off before starting and after closing a HDR supporting pc game via command-line. But I found using the windows HDR hotkey in an AutoHotKey script works just as well. (This for me is quite easy because I already start all my pc games from AutoHotKey scripts.)

SendInput #!b

BTW. I now have 3 times as much pc games that work quite well with Windows AutoHDR than I have with native HDR support.