LaunchBox Community Forums

Two controllers and closing active window

GongStar

I've tested closing windows with "select + start" and it works but the problem is that this works cross controller.
If I press select on one controller and start on the other, the game window will close down.

This functionality should obviously only work if the same controller presses both buttons.
How can I prevent this from happening?

2 hours ago, GongStar said:

I've tested closing windows with "select + start" and it works but the problem is that this works cross controller.
If I press select on one controller and start on the other, the game window will close down.

This functionality should obviously only work if the same controller presses both buttons.
How can I prevent this from happening?

You cannot. BB does not see each controller as unique. Such as Joy1 and Joy2. It just sees 2 controllers. So the bindings work the same on both. Even if you hit 1 button on one and the 2nd button on the other.

8 hours ago, Retro808 said:

You cannot. BB does not see each controller as unique. Such as Joy1 and Joy2. It just sees 2 controllers. So the bindings work the same on both. Even if you hit 1 button on one and the 2nd button on the other.

I was afraid of that.
I googled the problem but couldn't find anything at the time, though it seems to me more people should have experienced this since arcade games are popular among retro gamers and users of LB and BB.
You can't have one person adding coins while the other presses start or you'll exit the game.
At least with the default bindings of select and start.
So I'm guessing BB users bind the coin button to something else or do they use another more sophisticated solution?

3 hours ago, GongStar said:

it seems to me more people should have experienced this since arcade games are popular among retro gamers and users of LB and BB.

Arcade machines/games are popular among users of LB/BB.  But I'm not sure about the popularity of using console game controllers for Arcade.  I'm not saying it's not uncommon.  But I'm sure some have come across the 2-controller snafu and quickly discovered Custom Controller Bindings.

Regardless, controllers are definitely used by many/most/all for consoles.  I don't have 2 controllers setup on my system, but without even thinking about the situation you brought up, I wanted a game exit button combo that I couldn't somehow 'accidentally' press during gameplay or otherwise. 

My over-thinking-it way of doing things convinced myself that I could somehow accidentally do a 'rapid fire' Select then Start and exit the game at an inopportune time.  I ended up configuring exit game to Right-Button + Back (Xbox360 controller) hoping "how am I ever going to accidentally do that". It's not really intuitive, but neither is Select + Start (until you get used to them).

And, because I could, I set "Coin" (in MAME and in Visual Pinball) to Right-Joy click.  Even though I don't typically use the controller for them. 

On 7/25/2022 at 8:18 PM, Retro808 said:

Hi Retro 808! I thought this was odd because I noticed there was a "use all controllers" checkbox and a field to select the specific controller you want to use. I have been using these, but never thought to test the functionality of them any further since I was blindly believing they worked as intended when I would switch controllers in the "Device" field and thought it worked fine because obviously the additional controllers worked based on how these options are currently working. What you shared is absolutely correct, but, this seems at complete odds with how these settings are presented. I would think anyone would generally interpret these options as "Do I want to use controller A or controller B, or C or D and so on, to control BigBoX" meaning if "use all controllers" is NOT ticked, and controller A is selected in Device, then ONLY controller A would be able to navigate through BigBox. Controller B, C, D and so on, wouldn't be able to navigate through BigBox. A picture attached for reference using this sort of setup. So this is certainly not how I initially interpreted how these options worked. I would even go further saying this Use All Controllers and Device option seems completely pointless the way the Device option currently behaves. It doesn't matter which controller I select in "Device". If I have multiple controllers plugged in or connected over bluetooth they all work for navigating through BigBox no matter what this is set at as long as "Enable Game Controllers" is selected. For example a second photo for reference. Each of these settings do not seem to change anything in how controllers behave....all controllers are seen as one giant gamepad with duplicate buttons apparently. I find it hard to believe this is intentionally how it was meant to function, it's very misleading to users like myself.

Any chance anyone reading this knows what the intentions were with these options? Because it's just odd in my opinion how this currently works. Options should actually make a difference, and selecting different controllers doesn't make a difference

image.thumb.png.e28ad381dd45c505d35a95f2c19dec4e.png

image.thumb.png.d1a556b6452d33ab5dc23faf08edaf41.png

Edited by skizzosjt