LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox / Bigbox Causing Windows 11 to Shutdown...

MuddyWaters79

I have an Alienware Aurora R8 running Windows 11 with the following specs:

Processor: i9 9900K

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2666Mhz

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080Ti w/VRam - 11Gbs DDR5

*Ever since the latest update of Launchbox/Bigbox v.12.14 my computer will automatically shutdown shortly after launching Launchbox / Bigbox... I have completely reset and restored Windows. All updates are good. GPU is updated. I don't have any issues running games in STEAM or even CoinOps. I am not sure what is causing this issue. I have never had this problem before. I have uninstalled Launchbox/Bigbox but the issue remains. The next step would be for me to try a brand new build of Launchbox / Bigbox but I was hoping I wouldn't have to lose my previous build. Nehemic services are disabled. I have been running this build for several months and didn't have any issues until the latest update 12.14. I am running this build on an external SSD. Other games which are installed on this particular SSD run fine outside of Launchbox/Bigbox. I am curious to know if anyone else has encountered this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Muddy

Have you tried running a fresh copy of 12.14? Launchbox is portable, so you can move it to another directory (also making a backup wouldn't hurt either), and install a fresh copy.

I'm not sure if it's related, but my launchbox installation didn't work after updating to 12.14  Launchbox just failed to start though, it didn't force my computer to shut down. I was able to repair it by copying my data, images, themes, and video folders into a clean install. 

Could you describe how it shuts down? Normal windows shutdown, BSOD, just cuts to a blank screen? 

Edited by Zkyo
  • Thanks 1

That is strange, I've never seen a program trigger shutdown and sleep at the same time. Maybe check your power plan settings?

My friend had a bug in a custom program that would switch his desktop over to battery power. No battery was installed, so the computer would immediately hibernate. It had absolutely nothing to do with Launchbox though. 

Please be clear. Windows goes to sleep (not shutdown) as soon as you launch bigbox or launchbox? How long after? Do you have to be not touching the system?   You said you uninstalled launchbox/bigbox but the issue still remains. Does this mean you remove launchbox by uninstalling it and never launch it and just sitting at desktop your pc goes to sleep? Or did you mean to say you did a fresh reinstall of launchbox not  uninstall it? 

Since your PC is going to sleep first, what happens if you go into power settings and disable the sleep button, set the PC to  never go to sleep whether on battery or power?

Power settings are set to maximum performance sleep never. As soon as I launch BigBox about 10 seconds after booting in the screen goes black and my computer power button blinks yellow indicating sleep mode. I move my mouse and the computer wakes up still in BigBox and then I see the Windows shutdown screen come on then the computer fully shuts down. I completely created a fresh install of Launchbox / BigBox last night… imported Steam and Mame games .244. Launchbox was working fine but when I started BigBox the shutdown happened again. The computer does not go to sleep/shutdown like this any other time. Like I previously mentioned I can play Steam games and outside emulation without issue. It’s almost as if when I launch BigBox it’s triggering my computer to shutdown. That is why I wanted to try a fresh install as I am thinking there is a bug with the latest update 12.14. This began after that. I completely reset Windows the option that removes everything and reinstalled Windows 11. I complete created a new install of f Launchbox / BigBox brand new folder clean build and the issue remains. I can share a video if that helps…

Would you start up Bigbox and let it shut down, then reboot? Check Event Viewer, under Windows Logs/System, and see if there's any entries describing exactly what is triggering the shutdown. Select all logs between starting Bigbox & rebooting (hold shift to select multiple entries), then right click and save selected events. If you can upload the .evtx file it creates, I'll take a look at them.

• Like 1

Have this issue as well but on windows 10.

Running v12.14 on 3 different drives and computer shuts down on 2 of them, didn't have this issue before.

If I boot up game directly from drive without using bigbox/launchbox it does not shut down/go to sleep

Update Fix: Running "Don't Sleep 8.91" softwareand checked off the 4 blocking preferences in the don't sleep tab (standby/shutdown/turn off monitor/logoff)

Launchbox seems to working fine with no interruptions.

BigBox however randomly will switch to a blue screen trying to shut down. After hitting cancel and it goes back to where left off.

Edited by Jurassicade

Whenever I hear about frequent, unexplained shutdowns I immediately think of GPU driver issues. I also think about a Windows installation where it has been running for a few years with many different pieces of software installed that have somehow modified or affected the underlying Windows file system.

My suggestion is to completely wipe Windows with a 100% fresh install. In the above examples, I don't think a simple GPU driver reinstallation will be sufficient. I would also go as far as installing LaunchBox from scratch and importing my database and ROMs rather than just copying the folder back to the fresh drive.

Edited by Knowcontrol

4 minutes ago, Knowcontrol said:

Whenever I hear about frequent, unexplained shutdowns I immediately think of GPU driver issues. I also think about a Windows installation where it has been running for a few years with many different pieces of software installed that have somehow modified or affected the underlying Windows file system.

My suggestion is to completely wipe Windows with a 100% fresh install. In the above examples, I don't think a simple GPU driver reinstallation will be sufficient. I would also go as far as installing LaunchBox from scratch and importing my database and ROMs rather than just copying them back to the fresh drive.

Wiping windows is never necessary. First, you never figure out what was wrong. You just wipe everything and start over giving up in defeat. Nothing is random. There's now 3 users reporting shutdowns. It won't be the video driver, either. If you read what they're saying, the PC actually goes into the shutdown screens and does a *clean* shutdown not a crash or blue screen of death. (The blue screen referenced above is the shutting down blue screen not a windows BSOD). Video driver won't / cant cause that.

It's also very interesting that someone above running 'Dont Sleep' app solved his problem:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5953-dont-sleep.html

• 5 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but all of the threads on this issue don't end in a solution.

I have a Lunchbox/BigBox install on a Windows 11 machine that is constantly shutting down the computer. I first had LB installed locally, and the shut down would happen randomly anywhere from a few minutes to an hour in. No other program on the computer exhibits this behavior. Running emulators outside of LB works fine.

I recently made LB portable and installed it on a network drive. Launching LB/BB from other computers (2 Windows 10 machines and 1 other Windows 11 machine,) I haven't experienced the problem. The Windows 11 machine that I did the original install on still exhibits the problem whether I launch the local or network app.

Any help is appreciated!

32GB RAM

3090ti

Edited by nadafinga