LaunchBox Community Forums

Start Bigbox w/ Windows - Option Removed?

Fursphere

Has the option for "Start Bigbox w/ Windows" been removed from BigBox?   I looked through all of the options multiple times yesterday and can't seem to find it.   I'm running the latest beta 12.15, beta 2. 

I can easily put a shortcut in the shell:startup folder (in fact, that's what I've been doing).  But I remember there used to be a way to have BB do this for you - and my task manager: startup apps have some references in there from when I used to use this option. 

thx

13 minutes ago, Fursphere said:

Has the option for "Start Bigbox w/ Windows" been removed from BigBox?   I looked through all of the options multiple times yesterday and can't seem to find it.   I'm running the latest beta 12.15, beta 2. 

I can easily put a shortcut in the shell:startup folder (in fact, that's what I've been doing).  But I remember there used to be a way to have BB do this for you - and my task manager: startup apps have some references in there from when I used to use this option. 

thx

I don't believe that has ever been a option, you have always needed to use the shell:startup folder.

I tried installing an old version to see if it was there, but no luck.   Just trying to start bigBox on a 10.x version tries to auto-upgrade to the latest, and canceling the 12.14 upgrade caused BB not to load at all.  

I swear there was an option in those older versions - but its not that important.   I was just curious.

11 minutes ago, Fursphere said:

I tried installing an old version to see if it was there, but no luck.   Just trying to start bigBox on a 10.x version tries to auto-upgrade to the latest, and canceling the 12.14 upgrade caused BB not to load at all.  

I swear there was an option in those older versions - but its not that important.   I was just curious.

Just turn off updates in Launchbox and it wont try to update.

I checked versions I could find online - 10.11 (nope), 7.8 (nope), and 4.7 (before big box was released - so nope).

On both of my cabinets, there is an entry in Task Manager - Startup for "BigBoxLauncher".  I manually disabled it.  See screenshot.

1) I would not have named it "BigBoxLauncher"    (I would have simply called it BigBox)
2) I would not have hacked the windows registry to put the entry there.  This is not the startup folder.   I would have just used shell:startup folder.

So while I understand folks believing "it was never there" - I have two cabinets (two independent Windows 10 installations, made years apart) with this in the TaskManager Startup location.   What made these entries?   I remember BigBox options screen doing it, and it was a little quirky.

Capture.PNG

7 hours ago, Fursphere said:

On both of my cabinets, there is an entry in Task Manager - Startup for "BigBoxLauncher". 

Out of curiosity, can you right click and select Open file location or select Properties?  Where/what does it point to (i.e. is it pointing to the ../LaunchBox/ folder? Or somewhere else?)?  What's the date on the executable?  Is there any useful information in the Details tab of Properties?