LaunchBox Community Forums

In which File does Big Box saves all the Theme Settings which i saved for each Platform

TJ_on_Launchbox

In Big Box i customized a Theme for each Platform Game View
For Example: Playstation 1 - In the Games View I saved the Neon Deluxe Theme for it and chose Horizontal Wheel 1

For Super Nintendo in the Games View i saved Bar Top Theme Vertical Wheel 2

Where are these settings saved. In which File does Big Box save all my Theme Settings for each Game View?

I copy pasted new Data Files from another Build and now all my Settings for each View are gone and i would like to restore it back again
Thank you

• 9 months later...

I have the same question would be great to get this answered

I have this question in now two threads, I will respond to other if I can get an answer.

To try to assist the original question in what we are looking for see my quote from another thread below.

Summary Short: Want a mix of user created themes by platform and the ability to save a hard copy to revert to without coding out a custom theme.

Situation: I have a main theme selected and a number of supplementary themes for platform game wheels. I want to make a custom preset to hold my current multi theme Big Box, so that if I try a new main theme it does not wipe my current layout. How do I do that? I don't want to create a custom theme from scratch or re-write code, just join different platform themes together. There is no "Current Theme" within the themes folder to hard copy and revert, just the installed themes.  I dont want to work off backups as those are perishable and I dont want revert other changes.

Example: Main Big Box theme Cover box, for some systems that dont have the custom art just generic within coverbox. I prefer to use 3 or 4 others for example City hunter using the "apply to specific platform". Once set to my liking if I were to then change to any other theme to test or get a change of scenery. I would then have to re-apply former theme breakouts manually as most themes only have the "apply as main theme" option.

Edited by T-tot

@T-tot If you have the "Remember view per platform" setting set you simply go to the platform you want to change and use the "Change Theme" and "Change View" setting to change that platform to whatever theme/view combination you want to use. The change is saved to file and remembered for the next time you enter that platform.

@C-Beats Thank you so much for the quick response. Respectfully, I dont think thats the question the OP and I are asking, or I am not fully understanding your response. 

So the per platform settings do save, but.... if a new theme comes out we apply it as main theme, then boom those per platform/custom platform saves are wiped. Now, I understand that I can go back and recover that from the backup folder instantly but lets say I decide I want to return to those "custom" settings a week later, and I have painstakingly added some MSDOS games I found in my "attic"... either that backup with my custom platform settings are wiped from due to the system backup methodology or, I save the backup files static somewhere and now my new adds are not included.

Thanks in advance for your time. Some of us are as indecisive as 8 year old kids looking at a menu with too many options. Just wanting to find a way to properly be able to revert back to that custom platform subset without losing other aspects, or work performed.  

Edited by T-tot

Not sure if the post was changed in your edit, or I simply misread. I didn't see you ask about changing the main theme without changing the platform theme. I'd have to look but I believe if you change the theme via the Theme Manager ("Manage Themes" system view option) instead of inside the options menu a prompt appears asking if you want to apply it just as the main theme or to all the platforms as well. If you haven't you could try that and see if it does as you're asking. As I get time this week I'll try to test some things and see if I can get a decent work flow found for you.

No problem whatsoever! Thanks for your time and attention thus far, I know you guys get a million questions. Not sneak editing you was just trying to be clear.

So my whole family uses this, my wife prefers Eclipse (Looks behaves like Netflix, other TV based apps) and I'm willing to switch just to get her to play. I prefer to test new themes from the community and change up the look on occasion,

But I consistently come back to some mix of below quoted from prior post I would like to be able to reset to it instead of one by one over and over until the next swap:

Example: Main Big Box theme Cover box, for some systems that dont have the custom art just generic within cover box. I prefer to use 3 or 4 others for example City hunter using the "apply to specific platform". Once set to my liking if I were to then change to any other theme to test or get a change of scenery. I would then have to re-apply former theme breakouts manually

Thanks again for your efforts!

• 3 weeks later...

Following this topic as I very much would love to know this :)

I admit I spend more time tinkering with my frontend setup rather than playing, and lately I achieved a level of customization of themes and views per categories/platforms/playlists that is preventing me from trying new themes and views, because I am scared of overriding something and not being able to easily come back to it after a while.

I would love to have some sort of Save/Load states for the frontend UI, so in cases where I try something and don't like it, or after a while want to come back to a previous theme/view/effects config, or if I wrongly apply something, then with a couple of clicks I can get everything back the way it was.

@T-tot your scenario of having UI presets/preferences depending on who's playing is something I did not think about and it's great.

• Thanks 1