LaunchBox Community Forums

DosBox Pure Fails to load CD Game

Drybonz

Having some trouble loading a CD game in DosBox Pure.  I'm testing this with 7th Guest from the ExoDos 5 collection.  When I get to the initial screen to select a soundcard, the game then crashes back to the Retroarch menu with no core loaded.

I have the game zipped in one file (same structure as it came from ExoDos), I have extraction turned off in the LB platform.  Non-CD games are launching properly in DosBox Pure.  The 7th Guest game will launch properly in normal DosBox (but I want the Pure and RA shader features).  

If anyone can help me out with this, I appreciate it.  Thanks.

Try using the Export to Android feature to export that game to a directory. Then try using the zip file that process creates in the "Games" folder in the directory you pointed it to and see if you have the same issue there. I'm fairly sure I've ran that game successfully on that core with my Odin so do believe it's possible. You don't need to use that zip on an Android device, that export process has logic in it to help zip things up in a way that works better with that core though so worth trying the file it creates vs the zip file you're using now. If using ExoDos collection you will want to ensure the game is installed before using that tool though.

42 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

-Set T7G.bat to autostart.

To go back to the Dosbox Pure file selection screen press F1 to go into the Quick Menu. Them Shift + Restart.

Thanks for the reply.  I was trying to go down this path, but I just tried again.  I keep running into the same problem that it closes back to the RA menu.  It almost seems like there is something wrong with the mounting process, but it's really beyond me.

*edit*  C-Beats... thanks for the reply... I'm actually using a PC and not an Android device.

Edited by Drybonz

47 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

Thanks for the reply.  I was trying to go down this path, but I just tried again.  I keep running into the same problem that it closes back to the RA menu.  It almost seems like there is something wrong with the mounting process, but it's really beyond me.

1 hour ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

1819200568_Schermopname(137).thumb.jpg.bb364e45e055580844de9fc6a3b27284.jpg

- First mount disc 2.

For me going up to "MOUNT T7G2.cue" > "Enter" worked. Then scroll all the way down until you get to the d:\ (CD-Rom) files. Select the path with "install.exe"

1027986064_Schermopname(138).thumb.jpg.424eeb0ca5b57a81d2606b6e2068cd08.jpg

- Select install.exe

Then after the installation:

To go back to the Dosbox Pure file selection screen press F1 to go into the Quick Menu. Them Shift + Restart.

(F1 is RetroArch Quick menu.)

And finally:

826714779_Schermopname(139).thumb.jpg.1551027d802bc6a91f8f02c145f51415.jpg

-Set T7G.bat to autostart.

Edited by Your Friendly A.I Overlord
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

For me going up to "MOUNT T7G2.cue" > "Enter" worked. Then scroll all the way down until you get to the d:\ (CD-Rom) files. Select the path with "install.exe"

Great!  It's working.  Thanks for the help with this.

I think I was either mounting or running files from the wrong disc.

After going through this, I can really see the value of ExoDos and that it simplifies all this for you.  But I wanted the features and shaders of Retroarch.  I'm sure once I run through this process a few times it will be easy.  I just have to think of it as installing games from the physical copies, like we used to. 

Anyway... thanks again for the help, and hanging in there until I got it working.

2 minutes ago, Drybonz said:

After going through this, I can really see the value of ExoDos and that it simplifies all this for you.  But I wanted the features and shaders of Retroarch.  I'm sure once I run through this process a few times it will be easy.  I just have to think of it as installing games from the physical copies, like we used to. 

I don't have the complete ExoDOS. set. Just a curated list. But *I think* most games don't need to be installed. And DosBox-Pure auto-mounts disc 1 to D:\. This was a special case because The 7th Guest has 2 discs and the game needs to be installed. But great you got it working!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Your Friendly A.I Overlord said:

I don't have the complete ExoDOS. set. Just a curated list. But *I think* most games don't need to be installed. And DosBox-Pure auto-mounts disc 1 to D:\. This was a special case because The 7th Guest has 2 discs and the game needs to be installed. But great you got it working!

I just did 11th Hour also... after the first one it made more sense.  That one had four discs.  The complication was that it wasn't detecting sounds drivers, so had to go in and do the sound install, then restart back to the menu and run the "go" file.  I think there are some other games that will run into that sound install problem (Ultima 7 comes to mind... I think).  But I think I have it figured out, thanks to your help.

I do wish RetroArch had a hotkey to restart back to the DosBox menu with one click.