LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox startup video intermittent black screen, audio playing

Gangor

Has anyone else noticed an improvement after the last update? I’ve only started my machine about 15 times but haven’t had the black screen issue so far and noticed Ledblinky starts a lot faster. I used to get almost a quarter of the way through my start up video without ledblinky lighting up but now it lights up controls almost right away. Big improvement for me so far but again with the black screen it might be too early to tell. Ledblinky launching earlier is noticeably faster!!! 

Edited by Jabb3rJaw

Been seeing this exact issue since building mine about 9 months ago.  More often than not the machine boots to a black screen.  Pressing a button gets past the black screen (plays the startup sound and displays the wheel).  I tried switching to Windows Media Player, same results.  I then assumed it was one video in particular, of about 30 I have in the startup folder.  I painstakingly removed all videos but one and rebooted, repeating with each video.  It became obvious no specific video was to blame.

I've got a Geekom mini PC with an i3-8109U processor in it.  Windows 11.  I have Bigbox set as the default Windows shell.  Virtually nothing else is installed on the machine (whatever comes with Windows with most of that disabled), Chrome, LB/BB, emulators.  That's it.

Frustrating, but I guess I'll just remove the startup videos.  Not the worst workaround, but the videos were a nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add my experience...

Both of my standup cabinets randomly go to a 'black screen' on startup, and I have to bump the joystick or hit a key to get it to like..  wake up and then load the main view and start working.   But it'll just sit there for hours if I don't touch it.   Oddly, my sitdown Daytona USA twin (two PCs running LB/BB) doesn't have this issue.

All four use LEDBlinky, standups have Ultimarc IPac Ultimate I/O boards, sit down drivers have IPac-2 boards. 

All four use startup videos as well.   The two standups share a video, and the two driving cabs share a video.  

I never considered it to be a startup video file problem, but maybe?

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2024 at 10:34 PM, tralfaz said:

Been seeing this exact issue since building mine about 9 months ago.  More often than not the machine boots to a black screen.  Pressing a button gets past the black screen (plays the startup sound and displays the wheel).  I tried switching to Windows Media Player, same results.  I then assumed it was one video in particular, of about 30 I have in the startup folder.  I painstakingly removed all videos but one and rebooted, repeating with each video.  It became obvious no specific video was to blame.

I've got a Geekom mini PC with an i3-8109U processor in it.  Windows 11.  I have Bigbox set as the default Windows shell.  Virtually nothing else is installed on the machine (whatever comes with Windows with most of that disabled), Chrome, LB/BB, emulators.  That's it.

Frustrating, but I guess I'll just remove the startup videos.  Not the worst workaround, but the videos were a nice touch.

Following up on my own post, I removed all of my startup videos about a month ago.  I have not had a startup hang since.  For me it appears to have indeed been the videos that causes the hang on startup.

• Like 1