LaunchBox Community Forums

Downloaded some video themes of the forum but they don't fit

jimbone007

13 minutes ago, jimbone007 said:

Hey everyone I grabbed some switch video themes from the downloads section but when I looked at them in bb they dont fill the box. Its like the box is a different aspect ratio than the video maybe? any easy way to correct this?

Images are always helpful, descriptions only get you so far. The switch is a widescree 16:9 ratio sytem, like all modern systems, Most themes are designed to show 4:3 videos cause thats what games used to be, so the theme is simply maintaining the correct aspect ratio, stretching a 16:9 video vertically to fill a 4:3 window would look awful.

29 minutes ago, jimbone007 said:

I guess I never paid much attention until now but it looks like all the themes/snaps are like this. Is there a way to fix this?

The only way to fix is either alter the theme code to stretch the video to fill the 4:3 frame or alter the image asset in the theme's images folder for the Switch platform border to be a 16:9 aspect. Most theme creators will pick one ratio (usually 4:3 wins out) and make it the same for all art assets.

So this is normal then? Even the nes set that was downloaded from emu through launchbox doesn't fill the box it has borders. if the creators made them mostly in 4:3 then the box in the main theme im using must not be 4:3 or 16:9 because now that I'm looking none of these snaps are fitting correctly.

24 minutes ago, jimbone007 said:

So this is normal then? Even the nes set that was downloaded from emu through launchbox doesn't fill the box it has borders. if the creators made them mostly in 4:3 then the box in the main theme im using must not be 4:3 or 16:9 because now that I'm looking none of these snaps are fitting correctly.

Not sure about the NES as those videos should be 4:3 so would need to see a pic of what you are seeing. It is normal if you are using a 16:9 video in a 4:3 box. I think we just keep repeating the same thing. Already advised how to correct. The other option is to try to find a 4:3 aspect video.

Unfortunately not all videos will be perfect due to various aspect ratios used and how the theme creator made the theme.

I think I might have figured out part of the problem. I'm using unified ultrawide theme and my tv isnt ultrawide. When I switched to unified theme some of the snaps fit perfectly. So I really like the unified ultrawide theme but I also would like the snaps to fit properly. Is there a way to set unified up to look exactly like unified ultrawide? I haven't messed around with the themes much since I got bb I found ultrawide and liked it so I stuck with it.

Yeah that would explain it. You were squishing the theme and as a result squishing the video border even more. In order to make Unified look like Unified Ultra Wide you would have to know how to code to edit Unified or use the Community Theme creator tool to build the theme from scratch. 

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

Not sure about the NES as those videos should be 4:3 so would need to see a pic of what you are seeing. It is normal if you are using a 16:9 video in a 4:3 box. I think we just keep repeating the same thing. Already advised how to correct. The other option is to try to find a 4:3 aspect video.

Unfortunately not all videos will be perfect due to various aspect ratios used and how the theme creator made the theme.

Yea i understand what You are saying about the aspect ratios not matching up and that make perfect sense.  I'm thinking that some of the videos I'm using ( ones I downloaded on the forum) are probably 16:9 but the others that I had luanchbox dowload while importing the roms should fit but I have something set up wrong which is probably what I just posted about using ultrawide theme when my tv is not ultrawide.

Just now, Retro808 said:

Yeah that would explain it. You were squishing the theme and as a result squishing the video border even more. In order to make Unified look like Unified Ultra Wide you would have to know how to code to edit Unified or use the Community Theme creator tool to build the theme from scratch. 

Okay I think I'll just live with them not fitting properly because I'm not using a theme that works with my set up until I have time to look through the other themes and maybe choose a different one or a new one pops up that I like. Thanks for the help!