LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox crashes when importing MAME romset

zikan

On 10/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, zikan said:

When trying to import a full merged 0.248 MAME romset Launchbox crashes back to Android home screen. 

This happens when attempting to import from ROMs on a NAS and from an external drive.

What device are you using? Most likely it's just running out resources.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/12/2022 at 11:05 PM, The Lord of the Games said:

Hi, this is happening to me as well. I'm using a Nvidia shield and so far have been able to map most of my ROMs to a 6tb external HDD.

When I try arcade, it just crashes when I navigate to the ROM folder. It must be the sheer number of ROMs, 35000+

Is there anything I can do?

I think if you wait a bit longer, the app will recover and you'll be able to proceed with the import. It may look like it's frozen for a bit, but isn't really.

For MAME on Android I recommend the MAME 2003 or 2003 Plus set. Grab RetroArch from there site not R32 or R64 versions. Then download the MAME 2003 core and you're good to go. I did notice your first issue too. I have already imported the Final Burn Neo set and then when I tried to import MAME it crashed. In my case I think it's the game list XML files since both sets are similar and both can't be named Arcade.XML

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/13/2023 at 8:05 PM, The Lord of the Games said:

I don't think there is any solution for this, Hun?

This front end is horrible for arcade.

Unfortunately the issue is more with the Nvidia Shield than anything with the software. The Nvidia Shield hasn't really been properly updated since 2015, so almost 8 years ago now, and the hardware is ancient at this point. It has definitely been a struggle even keeping the app working on such old hardware, and the hardware wasn't even very good back when it came out in 2015.

Regardless, if you'd like to try a different frontend and would like a refund, just email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com.

• The Cake is a Lie 1

33 minutes ago, The Lord of the Games said:

I find that odd as the shield has been regarded as the best android tv box out there for a while, and it was updated in 2019 at the very least with a new model - not much has changed but still, same hardware as the Nintendo Switch.

I ran a hyperspin build for years on my Shield, a FREE software that is a rocket compared to this.

Thanks for the refund, I'll take it.

Please email us at support@unbrokensoftware.com.

The Shield does *not* at all have the "same hardware" as the Nintendo Switch...

This was the first Google result:

https://versus.com/en/nintendo-switch-vs-nvidia-shield

Regardless, you can't compare hardware when they run two completely different operating systems. Hyperspin was made many years ago and uses outdated technologies (like Adobe Flash) that have so many security flaws that you can't even run it anymore. But regardless, if you're still looking for a refund, you'll need to email us first.

2 hours ago, The Lord of the Games said:

You know you pick the wrong overpriced front-end when the "developer" engages in trashing your hardware.

If this will have problems with one of the best tv box out there then unBROKEN is in trouble. Shut down development on android like you did a couple years ago.

Hopefully by now you have requested your refund from support@unbrokensoftware.com. We appreciate any constructive feedback, but we do prefer not to have this type of childish temperament. He did not "trash" your hardware just simply advised the Shield is aging. 

Locking thread since OP has not returned since the day after the initial post and we do not need any more of what the thread devolved into. 

• Like 1