LaunchBox Community Forums

Exiting Yuzu with Controller

DanCue

I'm hoping to get some help on this as I have been searching for a few days now with no solution. I currently have Yuzu installed and when I launch it from Big Box I can't exit it using a controller. I'd like to do like retroarch and press Select+Start to exit but I can't figure out how to do it. I have Esc as the keyboard key to exit in Yuzu. The keyboard works fine but I am streaming via moonlight on a handheld and I don't have the option of pulling up a keyboard. I need to be able to do it from the controller. 

Any ideas? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skizzosjt said:

you can select a hotkey in Big Box's controller mapping options. Go to the "close active window" option and set the hotkey on the controller there.

I see where the close active window option is, where is the hotkey option? If I wanted to do select+start how would that look like in the settings?

19 minutes ago, DanCue said:

I see where the close active window option is, where is the hotkey option? If I wanted to do select+start how would that look like in the settings?

If you are mapping in the "Controller Mapping" page you just hit both buttons together. For example (the button numbers here are just random and may not be your specific buttons) It will reflect as: Close Active Window Button 8+Button 7

3 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

If you are mapping in the "Controller Mapping" page you just hit both buttons together. For example (the button numbers here are just random and may not be your specific buttons) It will reflect as: Close Active Window Button 8+Button 7

I tried that and it's not closing. In fact, for some reason it will kill my escape key button on the keyboard. Not sure what is going on but I have to reboot my computer to get the escape key to work again.

Escape on the keyboard would normally exit yuzu, though. 

I had a question about close active window. Does BB pass that command on to the emulator? When a game is launched the emulator is the active window so wouldn't any mappings come from the emulator instead or does BB actually pass through the close active window command to close the emulator?

Edited by DanCue

The Exit Script page only affects when exiting from the pause menu. Running tab is where would typically paste any AHK for use when actively playing the game.  Yuzu does not need any script in LB. Yuzu actually uses Ctrl+Q to close the emulator and that is one of the command LB will send when it send the Close Active Window call. 

Just tested and works fine for me. I do also have my buttons mapped directly in Yuzu to exit as well. So try mapping those 2 same buttons in the emulators settings. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Retro808 said:

The Exit Script page only affects when exiting from the pause menu. Running tab is where would typically paste any AHK for use when actively playing the game.  Yuzu does not need any script in LB. Yuzu actually uses Ctrl+Q to close the emulator and that is one of the command LB will send when it send the Close Active Window call. 

Just tested and works fine for me. I do also have my buttons mapped directly in Yuzu to exit as well. So try mapping those 2 same buttons in the emulators settings. 

Interesting. I'm going to try that now.

So just to be sure, I'm going to delete that script I have in exit. Change exit on Yuzu back to Ctrl+Q and then do the controller mapping for close active window as button7+button8. 

Is that correct?

• 9 months later...
On 10/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, Retro808 said:

Glad you are sorted. 

Hi!

I have a kinda similar question...

So I am using an ROG ally with big box and launchbox. I am able to exit from yuzu through my selected command using my dual sense controller for my emulators (Xenia, xemu, retroarch) but when I do this with yuzu the dual sense controller stops working in big box. The only way I've figured out how to fix it is to turn off and on the dual sense which then allows me to use it again.

A few things of note:

The ROG has an integrated controller that works in big box also. I have attempted to set it to disable the embedded controller through my command center window but even with doing this it doesn't seem to make a difference in my trials.

I have also tried using a mouse to bring the bigbox window into the forefront thinking that this would fix it (like maybe it was viewing the program in windowed mode or something?) But no avail.

Just curious if you guys have any trouble shooting ideas. 

I was hoping to use the ally with BB as my downstairs coach gaming console. 

20 hours ago, Wozcause said:

Hi!

I have a kinda similar question...

So I am using an ROG ally with big box and launchbox. I am able to exit from yuzu through my selected command using my dual sense controller for my emulators (Xenia, xemu, retroarch) but when I do this with yuzu the dual sense controller stops working in big box. The only way I've figured out how to fix it is to turn off and on the dual sense which then allows me to use it again.

A few things of note:

The ROG has an integrated controller that works in big box also. I have attempted to set it to disable the embedded controller through my command center window but even with doing this it doesn't seem to make a difference in my trials.

I have also tried using a mouse to bring the bigbox window into the forefront thinking that this would fix it (like maybe it was viewing the program in windowed mode or something?) But no avail.

Just curious if you guys have any trouble shooting ideas. 

I was hoping to use the ally with BB as my downstairs coach gaming console. 

I keep trialing and erroring to see what works and what doesnt. Here is a list of a few new things I've done that might help log the issue in case anyone else has a similar problem. Unfortunately, I still haven't fixed it yet.

I turned off the embedded controller in the command center left hand quick menu button on the ROG Ally (The button underneath what I would consider "select" on a traditional controller). This worked for prioritizing the dual sense as the controller for yuzu use but does not fix the issue after exiting. In yuzu, If I don't turn off the embedded controller and try and use the dual sense it turns red, indicating that it is player two. When I turn off the embedded controller it stays blue, indicating that it is remaining player one.

I use big box as my front end and I am able to use the dual sense for navigation purposes when I initially turn the controller on. This works regardless of the embedded controller command center function being on or off.

I have set up a command key to "exit active window" by PlayStation home button + select together [I think this is button 13 + button 9.] And to "exit" set to button 13+button 3. I set it up using the dual sense in launch box and big box through control mapping. This allows me to exit games from the couch.

However - I'm having mixed results with the controller using functionality after exiting the emulators.

When I enter and exit out of the certain emulators like yuzu by any means (mouse/keyboard, dual sense command, or reneabling the embedded controller) all three ways result in big box no longer recognizing the dual sense.

A quick dual sense controller turn off and gets it working again but I want to see if there is a better more efficient way to make it so I don't have to turn the controller off and on for each game exit. Any ideas?

So far I think I've narrowed it down to being a "controller prioritization" issue. It rufused to recognize the dual sense as controller 1 in big box even with the embedded controller turned off. I tested this through turning off embedded controller in the command center and then using the active dual sense, turning off the "allow all active controllers for navigation" (this isn't the exact wording on the thing but its something similar to this). Turning off the thing in big box made the dual sense stop working so this leaves me to believe that it is viewing the dual sense as controller 2. 

I'm just trying to find out specifically if there's a way to fix this either in window settings, big box setting or on a system-wide level setting I could be missing that could simply fix my issue.

A few specific notes I've gathered from trial and error from different emulators:

Emulators like retroarch give me no issue. I can enter a game and exit that game through either the in-game retroarch menu, through a mouse click, alt f4, or dual sense close active window command. When I do any of these I can still use the dual sense in big box without issue.

PCSX2 (not running through retroarch, I confirmed this cause I thought maybe that explained why it was working where others aren't). works with the controller throughout the entire process and even afterwards without requiring a turn on and off.

Rpcs3 from big box - the controller works in game, however... my built in exit command (close active window) does not appear to be working. I am able to only exit through the built on rpcs3 menu exit (which I have set to touchpad to open). Once exiting rpcs3 the turn off and on method to get controller working again on big box is needed. Additionally, instead of launching a game through BB, if I just click "open RPCS3" and then exit through a mouse click, alt f4 or through in built in RPCS3 menu, the dual sense controller no longer works on big box. It requires the same "turn off and on method.

Yuzu/ryujinx from big box - the controller works in game and I am able to use my big box hotkey to "close active window" to exit the emulator menu.  With embedded controller turned off in the ROG ally command center my dual sense stays blue, when I have the embedded controller turned off the controller changes red. Once I exit the program regardless of the dual sense bar being blue or redz big box stops recognizing the controller. The turn off and on method to get controller working again on big box is needed. Additionally, instead of launching a game through BB, if I just click "open Yuzu/ryujinx" and then exit through a mouse click, alt f4 or through the big box hotkey I set up, the dual sense controller no longer works on big box. It requires the same "turn off and on method.

Dolphin launches and works with the dual sense controller. I set up one for GameCube and One for Wii. However, BB settings for my dual sense controller to exit the active window is not functioning. I set up manual controls in dolphin to exit with a Hotkey. I run into the same issue in BB requiring the turn off and on method again. Additionally, instead of launching a game through BB, if I just click "open dolphin" and then exit it the dual sense controller no longer works on big box. It requires the same "turn off and on method.

When launching a game I have on epic games, the game loads and the controller appears to be recognized and functional. However my BB close active window hotkey does not function. When exiting the game and epic games however the controller still appears to work on BB when making big box the active window without turning the dualsense on and off. (I tested a similar thing for all the other emulators and game clients but this is the only one where the male active window thing worked).

Steam big picture doesn't appear to play well with big box. I have had to turn it off when I load games like elden ring. The dual sense works for playing games but again, I lose my active big box "close active window" hotkey.  The controller also becomes.unrecognizable by big box requiring the turn on and off method. 

I hope this list helps out others in the process of trouble shooting like me. 

• 5 months later...

I got an issue where I can only exit Yuzu if I do it twice from the Pause Menu. The first time would toggle fullscreen off on Yuzu but the game would still be opened in windowed mode. Hitting the Pause Menu again and exiting the game a second time would close the Yuzu emulator for good. Quite annoying.

If fixed it by deleting a the hotkeys in Yuzu and manually adding Ctrl + Q in Exit Yuzu hotkey.

I believe since a few of the latest Yuzu updates they changed the mapping of the hotkeys and the AHK exit script must be doing something to Fullscreen which then broke the exit sequence of Yuzu as explained here.

Hope this helps!

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2024 at 1:19 AM, Light Sock said:

I got an issue where I can only exit Yuzu if I do it twice from the Pause Menu. The first time would toggle fullscreen off on Yuzu but the game would still be opened in windowed mode. Hitting the Pause Menu again and exiting the game a second time would close the Yuzu emulator for good. Quite annoying.

If fixed it by deleting a the hotkeys in Yuzu and manually adding Ctrl + Q in Exit Yuzu hotkey.

I believe since a few of the latest Yuzu updates they changed the mapping of the hotkeys and the AHK exit script must be doing something to Fullscreen which then broke the exit sequence of Yuzu as explained here.

Hope this helps!

@Light SockCan you explain this a bit more I'm having the same issue.  Although it works all fine in LB, in BB if I use the pause menu and exit the Yuzu emu is set to window mode and hidden behind BB. If I use the pause menu again it closes it & BB continues to run with the controller.

So you have no exit keys in the Yuzu emulator where it has exit?
image.thumb.png.bab287862312a8099b59ec5cb6e4ba81.png

Where did you add Ctrl + Q as Exit Yuzu hotkey?  I'm confused because my exit hotkey was already set to Ctrl + Q??? Like below

image.thumb.png.638ce26ea08d190bc2bda8259c784320.png

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Stevie Mac