LaunchBox Community Forums

BigBox is adding borders to some 2D box covers

drw4013

On 11/21/2022 at 6:49 AM, C-Beats said:

This is related to using the Box Models in ImageView. Your images aren't the standard Front images which don't have transparency as is causing the issues you are seeing. I'll be looking into ways to mitigate this from happening for people using more custom images like that.

Thank you for the information. What version did this change in? I might need to downgrade until a fix is available.

Is it a dimensions issue?  I noticed that some platforms do not have the border like my first image, and others do...with images that are nearly the same size.

Edited by drw4013

This functionality was added in the most recent 13.0 release. Reverting to 12.16 is possible but you will need to delete you \\LaunchBox\Data\InputBindings.xml file and reset up your controller mappings after running the 12.16 installer.

The issue isn't related to dimensions, but the image and the type assigned to it. Our tradition front images don't allow for transparency and so don't cause any issues with the feature. Using images WITH transparency like yours is what causing the issue. Typically images like you shown would be considered a Clear Logo. I realize that for some systems and games (especially Vpin) most of their "front" images look like what you're showing though and a more traditional front image just doesn't exist for the table.

On 11/22/2022 at 11:33 AM, C-Beats said:

This functionality was added in the most recent 13.0 release. Reverting to 12.16 is possible but you will need to delete you \\LaunchBox\Data\InputBindings.xml file and reset up your controller mappings after running the 12.16 installer.

The issue isn't related to dimensions, but the image and the type assigned to it. Our tradition front images don't allow for transparency and so don't cause any issues with the feature. Using images WITH transparency like yours is what causing the issue. Typically images like you shown would be considered a Clear Logo. I realize that for some systems and games (especially Vpin) most of their "front" images look like what you're showing though and a more traditional front image just doesn't exist for the table.

I'm a bit confused here - it seems to me like there's 2 separate issues (and @Maximilium just replied above having the same 2 issues after the latest update):

1) box fronts having an extra border added, and

2) Box Fronts with Transparency no longer transparent

For #1 - the images don't have this new extra border in the platform selection thumbnails for Recent and Favorite games - it's added only when scrolling the Games menu.  It doesn't appear to have anything to do with Transparency. Will there be a way to disable this?

For #2 - just so I understand you, the Transparency for box front images (usually Pinball emulators use these) that has worked for the last few years will no longer be supported? Is that correct?

Edited by drw4013

1) The issue is the game has image already has the case border, and then the model's border is being drawn as well so it looks like a border. This is what you're seeing.

2) I don't think we'll be dropping support for these image types, we just need to tweak the logic a bit. I've found a solution I like to fix this but it still needs internally reviewed before we push anything into the app.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, C-Beats said:

1) The issue is the game has image already has the case border, and then the model's border is being drawn as well so it looks like a border. This is what you're seeing.

2) I don't think we'll be dropping support for these image types, we just need to tweak the logic a bit. I've found a solution I like to fix this but it still needs internally reviewed before we push anything into the app.

Thank you.

RE: #1, I want to clarify - my example box front had a border already, but many do not...and BB is now adding this grey "DVD-case" border. Example:

Platform Favorites/Recent view - no border:

image.png.7a2cadfb5ec3ee5cf4688d0da04b2dbf.png

Game list view - grey border added:

image.thumb.png.882c7309cc59e0ea89243e22b115dbe7.png

Are you saying this new 13.0 feature is working correctly and cannot be turned off without manual workarounds?

What you're showing is the side of the DVD case model. If you flip the case or rotate the model with the appropriate input binding you'll better see what I'm referring to. A box model doesn't have that edge to it and so if you wanted you could go to the platform in LaunchBox and edit it to change the model settings and tell that platform to use boxes instead of cases.

19 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

What you're showing is the side of the DVD case model. If you flip the case or rotate the model with the appropriate input binding you'll better see what I'm referring to. A box model doesn't have that edge to it and so if you wanted you could go to the platform in LaunchBox and edit it to change the model settings and tell that platform to use boxes instead of cases.

So this new 13.0 feature basically forces all box fronts to use 3D?

I checked the setting and overrode it for a platform to use boxes instead of cases - this still results in a black border since you cannot set the 'Force Model Size' dimensions to zero:

image.thumb.png.a155efd5b5973f769f06aae23c3b84a3.png

image.thumb.png.81ab028324940cd1ab4ec74ae4583931.png

The feature makes Box group images use the model in CoverFlow views and the ImageView. I BELIEVE what you're showing is the latter but I'd need the full screenshot to be sure. 13.1 beta 1 is out and makes it so images with transparency DON'T use a model in the ImageView. You could update to the beta and see if it corrects what you're seeing.

Did not see a change - posted screenshots in the 13.1 Beta feedback thread.

I think what is really needed is a way to just turnoff the 3D box features with a checkbox.  Then only use front and back images from those 2 folders, and have the "Flip Box" option swap between the 2 instead of rotating all 4 sides.  The 3D stuff is cool and all,  but I will never use it. Unless there's already a way to do that.

image.thumb.png.583e3ee7ad7c54f726d1da564e236403.png   

image.png

Fix for now - moved all box art images to steam banner folder....., selected Steam Banners on Lunchbox

image.png.15d9647f5d06f800bb5e63132d6360a1.png   

I like the 3D Box improvement, I know it had to take a lot of work to get it done right.

But with the upgrade breaks the "fake" 3D Box art with transparent background....

Suggestion for future updates: Create a 2D Box category for Image group.

Edited by Maximilium

58 minutes ago, zugswang said:

It needs an on off feature as any boxart that is completely not square or rectangular is now completely useless, as it has this black border around it.

I agree with this, it's not a feature i would ever use, and would prefer to just have it how it was without breaking anything.