LaunchBox Community Forums

Marquee monitor questions before I buy...

Hamburglin

I'm currently deciding what tv and marquee monitor to buy and had a couple questions:

1. Is there a specific resolution or aspect ratio the marquee should be to display marquees correctly?
  2. Can my main monitor (tv) run at 120hz and my secondary monitor (marquee lcd) run at 60 hz?
  3. I see that pixelcade and LCD marquee are both selling really expensive LCD screens with images preloaded. Do I need preloaded images or will big box use the marquee images it scrapes to send to monitor 2?

Otherwise, is there a good place to find a bunch of marquee sized monitors to choose from? Is there anything else I should be aware of before I drop $500 on a tv that doesn't work with my marquee monitor?

Edited by Hamburglin

1. Not really as the marquee images are all different and scaled anyways.
  2. Yes. The refresh rate of monitors is completely independent.
  3. LB/BB will scrape and download some marquees and you can also find more yourself.

Note: Pixelcade is a little different in that it runs on an independent OrangePi and LB doesn't directly control it. (LB/BB -> LEDBlinky -> Pixelcade) They are some advantages and disadvantages to this approach, which may or may not come to LB/BB eventually. For example, video marquee support, ad marquees in LB, not just BB.

What size marquee screen where you considering?

I considered a wider model but decided bigger was just too expensive and ended up going with just the 14" 1280x390 model. I like the look with the black bezel around it and its not so bright and big to be distracting during game play.

Thanks for the info. I'm looking at the 24 inch ones but was trying to find even wider since I have a very large 4 player cabinet. I have no idea what to google to find these though. I can only seem to find bigger ones on alibaba.

24in on amazon: 

FanyiTek 24 inch 1920x360 DV240FBM-NB0 30pin IPS Supermarket LCD Screen and HDMI USB SD Audio LVDs Controller Board,for DIY Gaming Marquee Monitor/Stretched Bar Display https://a.co/d/7RqM6FW

Up to 43in on alibaba:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600684417917/Shelf-Digital-Signage-Long-Strip-Display.html?spm=a2706.7843667.0.0.2bd874b9TznEPy&prepage1=enalibaba%3A%2F%2FoneSight%3Fbiz%3Dseo%26keyword%3Dmarquee-lcd-screen

28in on alibaba:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600560147341/Ultra-Wide-28-Lcd-Digital-Signage.html

Those aren't terrible prices for the size. 

Although I've bought electronics off both Allibaba and Aliexpress, I'd choose Amazon when possible, for the return policy. (I've had issues with both LCD and LED panels)

Maybe someone with a large marquee LCD can chime in here, or check the LB database at the dimension of some of the marquee images, to see how well they'd scale to super wide or if you'd have to acquire them elsewhere. I know you can get the Pixelcade artwork pack for $20 and it includes super wide marquee images.

This brand just replied to me with the spec and price sheet I attached:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600135622811/Android-shelf-edge-display-19-23.html

And yeah I'm trying to understand how weird it will look being super extra wide. I'll check out pixelcades artwork! Any idea how that would integrate with LB?

Clientop Offer Sheet 8 8-86 inch stretched bar lcd display(1).xlsx

Edited by Hamburglin

13 minutes ago, Hamburglin said:

I'll check out pixelcades artwork! Any idea how that would integrate with LB?

The pixelcade artwork was named differently than just the plain MAME naming format that LB sees automatically, but with some batch file name renaming, it was fairly easy to rename and dump in the marquee image folder of LB.

I would start with the LB/Emumovies scraped images first and see how they work. (I liked the Pixelcade artwork because it was resized for my monitor already, so no wasted space. I already batch edit my other images to my screen size to save space)

Got it. A quick script shouldn't be a big deal. I'll have to check the LB marquee first once the monitor comes.

...Actually after looking, I don't seen an LCD art pack from pixelcade, just LED.

Still talking to those alibaba suppliers. They can supply the ones in that spreadsheet and also custom make stuff.

Edited by Hamburglin

25 minutes ago, Hamburglin said:

Actually after looking, I don't seen an LCD art pack from pixelcade, just LED.

Sorry. I had both an LED marquee and a LCD marquee.

The images came with the software for the LCD software here: Pixelcade LCD Software

I eventually decided to bypass the Pixelcade hardware and just transferred the marquee images from that package.

6 minutes ago, Headrush69 said:

Sorry. I had both an LED marquee and a LCD marquee.

The images came with the software for the LCD software here: Pixelcade LCD Software

I eventually decided to bypass the Pixelcade hardware and just transferred the marquee images from that package.

Awesome, thank you! If I go with the alibaba marquees I'll be sure to let the community know how they work.

Still not sure how going lower than 1920x360 will look. Some on that spreadsheet are 1920x280.

Just now, Headrush69 said:

That 280 is small. Of all the sources I've looked for marquees, never saw any that small. Usually 360, 390, and 720 are the ones I've seen.

Yeah it will definitely stretch the image because it's still the same height in inches as the others. 

The problem is that marquee art is not a standardized size too.

31 minutes ago, Hamburglin said:

Yeah it will definitely stretch the image because it's still the same height in inches as the others. 

In this case squish the image. Although the dimensions are the same, that's almost a 20% lose of vertical pixels.

Maybe test a few out in your favourite image editor. Take a marquee, reduce the resolution to 1920 x 280 but zoom in to keep the same physical screen size. That will give you a good idea what to expect and how they'll look.

Yeah. Maybe I'll just stick to the 28 inchers. Probably pick up this one since I can actually buy it now: https://m.aliexpress.com/i/3256801803387096.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

If I buy the lcd pixelcade art, will big box show the video marquees or just the static pictures when used with the above screen? I'm trying to understand how spending $500 more on the official 28" pixelcade lcd could be worth it.

Edited by Hamburglin

1 hour ago, Hamburglin said:

If I buy the lcd pixelcade art, will big box show the video marquees or just the static pictures when used with the above screen? I'm trying to understand how spending $500 more on the official 28" pixelcade lcd could be worth it.

BB can only o static images right now.

• 1 year later...
On 12/4/2022 at 3:03 AM, Hamburglin said:

This brand just replied to me with the spec and price sheet I attached:

https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600135622811/Android-shelf-edge-display-19-23.html

And yeah I'm trying to understand how weird it will look being super extra wide. I'll check out pixelcades artwork! Any idea how that would integrate with LB?

Clientop Offer Sheet 8 8-86 inch stretched bar lcd display(1).xlsx 33.11 kB · 3 downloads

I almost bought this until i saw the postage.. holy cow!
Shipping fee: $494.53(From CN to AU)