LaunchBox Community Forums

[Box - Spine] - Image type is now available on the LaunchBox Games Database

faeran

This is just a PSA to let you guys know that the Box - Spine image type is now available in the LaunchBox Games Database. This means that you can now submit Box - Spine images to the database, and users will be able to download them directly into LaunchBox.

These images should represent what the left side of a game's retail box looks like:

image.thumb.jpeg.68a67c286dffbeaac014175d0c7c4ccf.jpeg      image.thumb.jpeg.588cf9ef436ebaf83d5e7e4127d589e9.jpeg

There are certain boxes where the main spine is located on the top/bottom of the box (like SNES, N64). In this case, you should upload what the top of the box looks like:

1572971859_Zelda-ALinkToThePast-Spine.thumb.jpg.bfd462424d66d5c996f68de80517071f.jpg

If you have any questions about this image type, let us know.

Happy Holidays.

-------------------

Have a feature request? Don't let it get buried in this thread. Use the Help & Support link at the top of the page and choose Request a Feature.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 8:13 PM, faeran said:

This is just a PSA to let you guys know that the Box - Spine image type is now available in the LaunchBox Games Database. This means that you can now submit Box - Spine images to the database, and users will be able to download them directly into LaunchBox.

These images should represent what the left side of a game's box looks like:

image.thumb.jpeg.68a67c286dffbeaac014175d0c7c4ccf.jpeg      image.thumb.jpeg.588cf9ef436ebaf83d5e7e4127d589e9.jpeg

There are certain boxes where the main spine is located on the top/bottom of the box (like SNES, N64). In this case, you should upload what the top of the box looks like:

image.thumb.png.2509efddac4fc576c865e27b4a6cc1d2.png

Happy Holidays.

-------------------

Have a feature request? Don't let it get buried in this thread. Use the Help & Support link at the top of the page and choose Request a Feature.

Missing categories that we need in the database to stop feuds and workarounds.

Fanart - Box - 3D (to include fanmedia and avoid mixing with retail based ones)

Fanart - Clear Logo (exactly the same, people use region priorities some times to download their region retail art but they must have fan creations as something transparent to them not something mixed)

Cart - Front - Reconstructed (some users prefer just legit pictures of carts and others restored images that use templates, due to the lack of reconstructed option, sometimes they were moved to fancart category triggering similar issues).

With the options currently available, the moderators and contributors who work in the database have to be constantly looking for alternatives and generating stupid fights for the particular tastes of each one. There are users who prefer only official art and others insist on uploading art created by them to standardize the visual aspect of their collections even though there are no suitable options for their creations. This causes media downloads to be unpredictable, and a simple prioritization of regions (something as simple as prioritizing usa or europe to have the images of the releases you remember from your childhood) causes a chaotic mix of mixed fanmedia to be downloaded. with official art. We do nothing but receive app updates and the database hasn't changed for YEARS. Personally, not having dedicated time to something that makes the job of moderating and contributing to the database much more unpleasant is something that in my humble opinion cannot be delayed any longer.

On the other hand, an option in the launchbox would be desirable where we can choose to only download FAN MEDIA ART when there is no official art available. For those users who only want boxes and extra art created by users in those digital or homebrew games that lack it.

Thanks for your interest and please, adress this issue.

• Like 2

On 12/23/2022 at 9:13 PM, faeran said:

image.thumb.png.2509efddac4fc576c865e27b4a6cc1d2.png

Does it matter if the spine is uploaded vertically or horizontally on the database? There's kind of tons of spines already online, but they are marked as "banner" - would be easy to change their image types unless horizontal is out of the question?

1 hour ago, kurzih said:

Does it matter if the spine is uploaded vertically or horizontally on the database? There's kind of tons of spines already online, but they are marked as "banner" - would be easy to change their image types unless horizontal is out of the question?

The orientation will determine where the image gets displayed on the 3D Box Model. If the image is horizontal, it will attempt to display on the top and bottom of the box, as it will assume that the primary spine appears there.

It's also worth noting that we are looking for the retail version of the spines. I did a bad job in including a fan made interpretation of the Gauntlet Legends one and I have swapped it out in the OP that shows the example.

I've also noticed a lot of CD based systems include the spine on the back image type. This won't really work with the 3D Box Models, as you'll see the spine appear on the back of the box. It's worth splitting them up into their own type now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BloodyThorn said:

I've noticed there have been a bunch of 'rotations' already on images in the db. Both back and forth. People arguing in submission/moderation.

Hopefully, this post can be used to clear up which rotation is required for a certain system, and moderators can approve or deny accordingly.

If there's anything missing from the OP, let me know and I will update it.

The goal for this spine image type is for LaunchBox to be able to utilize the images correctly on the 3D Box Model without any image manipulation from the user.

That's perfect!

I think what I'll do is copy the content of all of my banner directories, because for me they are all box spines to begin with, then script them on Photoshop with the correct orientation and then just copy them to the Box - Spine directory and refresh in LB.

Should be quick enough and can't wait for the next Launchbox update with the new 3D options/enhancements! Thanks 👍

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 1/2/2023 at 3:58 PM, faeran said:

Hopefully, this post can be used to clear up which rotation is required for a certain system, and moderators can approve or deny accordingly.

If there's anything missing from the OP, let me know and I will update it.

The goal for this spine image type is for LaunchBox to be able to utilize the images correctly on the 3D Box Model without any image manipulation from the user.

But is because there is no bottom spine nor right spine https://bitbucket.org/jasondavidcarr/launchbox/issues/7987/4-spines-in-a-box