LaunchBox Community Forums

Same game, different file types.

TheMadMan007

I want to play Metroid Prime both with Dolphin, and sometimes in VR with the Dolphin VR fork. Which I have setup in LaunchBox. However my file for Metroid Prime is .rvz. Since the Dolphin VR emulator was last updated in 2016, it doesn't recognize the .rvz file type. So I have to have a .iso of the game as well. Simple Enough. But I want to have LaunchBox just have the single Gamecube platform and single entry for Metroid Prime, where I can select the different version of the game and launch it with the different version of Dolphin for VR. 

Is this possible at all? I really don't want to have a Gamecube and Gamecube VR platforms.

On 1/21/2023 at 10:46 PM, TheMadMan007 said:

I want to play Metroid Prime both with Dolphin, and sometimes in VR with the Dolphin VR fork. Which I have setup in LaunchBox. However my file for Metroid Prime is .rvz. Since the Dolphin VR emulator was last updated in 2016, it doesn't recognize the .rvz file type. So I have to have a .iso of the game as well. Simple Enough. But I want to have LaunchBox just have the single Gamecube platform and single entry for Metroid Prime, where I can select the different version of the game and launch it with the different version of Dolphin for VR. 

Is this possible at all? I really don't want to have a Gamecube and Gamecube VR platforms.

it is possible! there are potentially two ways I can think how to do this. how I would do this is leave the regular Gamecube version as is and do the special stuff with the VR version.

One method would require to go into edit the game entry and create an additional app and tell it to use custom settings. Make the application path the VR version of Dolphin for the emulator, and in the custom command-line parameters field add in all the arguments you need to launch the iso file.

another way is you will need to create an additional app that runs a script to launch the game. the script will just be a basic line of telling Dolphin VR to run and load the game.

for either method, assuming the VR version uses same launch syntax you can take a peek at how it looks on the normal Dolphin's Edit Emulator window and use that same format for launching it on the VR emulator. also you can call the additional app a game version by putting in data into the metadata tab which will list it as a version of the game instead of an additional app. this way when you right click on it in LB or go into the game details page in BB you can select which version to play

it's on the left hand side after you go into editing a game entry. here's a photo for reference

https://forums.launchbox-app.com/uploads/monthly_2022_10/image.png.68f8240a98fa964954b4c8fd1b6ab7a1.png

this was from another post I made so in your case if you're setting it up like this you would NOT want to check that box "automatically run before main application"

instead fill in that "application path" field with the Dolphin VR emulator

and then in the field below it, "application custom command-line parameters", enter in the launch argument to launch the ISO file.

assuming that VR version uses the same launching arguments, it would be the same arguments listed in your normal Dolphin emulator here in LaunchBox's Edit Emulator window

-b -e "Enter\Full\Path\To\File\In\Quotes\game.iso"

and the last bit was saying you can tab over to that "Metadata" tab and enter in the data you want and this way it will list it out as a game version instead of an additional app

the other way involves putting an AHK script into the Application Path field but this time checking "Automatically run before main application", it would look just like the photo example since in that I am doing just that, launching a script at start of a game to remap some controls. the script would be like this for you in order to launch an emulator and game

Run, Enter\Full\Path\To\DolphinVREmulator\file.exe -b -e "Enter\full\path\to\game\file\in\quotes\game.iso"