LaunchBox Community Forums

A solution for dealing with games that have no art

walter10h

A while ago I made a thread asking how you guys deal with games that don't have box art, backgrounds or anything available. Basically those small freeware games, mini-games, or really obscure stuff. Didn't get any replies, but I did come up with a solution. Kinda silly, but it works. lol

image.thumb.png.0079056e8adcf2b551196d4ab01c0118.png

Basically, I put everything under one box called Miscellaneous games. Then, when you open it, it runs a portable installation of ES-DE with all my small games on a simple list.

image.thumb.png.6ccc5bd5906fbaf9336411227143ae25.png

It's not the best solution out there, but what do you guys think?

Edited by walter10h
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, C-Beats said:

You can set default artwork on a per platform basis if you wanted.

I actually didn't know this. Thank you!

To be fair, it doesn't look very good for me. I can select Box - Front but no Back or even Spine, which would be great for 3D boxes of digital games. I still prefer my method, because it looks cleaner to me. However, the default box option will be great to use in some cases. :D  Just wish it was a little more flexible.

• 11 months later...

you can also select the next most likely option. So if it' missing front box, try 3d box or title screenshot.  You can make as many substitutions as you wish. I do, "3D-Box, Front Box, Front Box- Fan Art- Front Box- Reconstructed, Screenshot-Game Title" . Go To: Tools, Options, and 'Front Box Priorities' under 'Media"

Edited by Nxy Del
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 4:48 AM, Nxy Del said:

you can also select the next most likely option. So if it' missing front box, try 3d box or title screenshot.  You can make as many substitutions as you wish. I do, "3D-Box, Front Box, Front Box- Fan Art- Front Box- Reconstructed, Screenshot-Game Title" . Go To: Tools, Options, and 'Front Box Priorities' under 'Media"

Exactly! I've been doing the same for Pinball platform since not all of them has screenshots.