LaunchBox Community Forums

I Think I Screwed up BB...

PiperCalls

So I created a new theme for my racing cab. I copied the theme into the Themes folder and it worked fine. I decided to make some changes to the theme. This is where I think I screwed up. I deleted the themes folder from the Themes directory, without "uninstalling" it from within BB. I made the edits to the theme and copied the theme folder back into the LB/Themes folder and BB sees it as "installed" but if I switch to the theme it says it switched but it is really showing as the Default theme. I even tried renaming the theme folder and copying it back in but any new theme I select in BB, appears as the Default theme if I choose to apply it. Somehow I got BB thinking any new theme is the Default theme...not sure if I'm explaining that clearly. The other thing is if I choose "Manage Themes" in BB, it hangs for a long time and I usually get "The LB Server is not responding." Am I major hosed here or is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any help.

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Can always just delete the Themes folder and then run the installer over the directory again, then place the theme files in the Theme folder that gets put there by the installer

Ughh...didn't work. So I deleted everything from the Themes folder and re-installed 13.1 over the top...same. I restored a LB backup from before I installed my theme...same. I even uninstalled my theme, changed the folder name of the theme to something completely unrelated and then reinstalled it in BB...same. BB is determined that any theme I copy in, no matter what I name it is the Default theme now...

Are you seeing any errors? I've never heard of anyone having this issue, and given how the code works the situation doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Can you check in your \\LaunchBox\Core folder and ensure there is no lingering Themes folder in there and remove it if there is?

1 hour ago, C-Beats said:

Are you seeing any errors? I've never heard of anyone having this issue, and given how the code works the situation doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Can you check in your \\LaunchBox\Core folder and ensure there is no lingering Themes folder in there and remove it if there is?

Yeah I've been with LB for several yrs now and never have seen anything like this.

So, I..

deleted everything in LB/Themes

checked LB/Core...no reference to any themes

reboot the racing rig pc

copied my (known working) theme into LB/Themes

started BB, it was by default on the Default theme

Manage Themes - selected my theme & apply to all

...and Default theme is still what's displayed...

Just for test, I switched to Old Default & CZ themes and they switch over fine

It's has to be something corrupted in the xml files, right?

1 minute ago, C-Beats said:

What's the name of your theme? Also are you in the correct view?

My theme is called VROOM. But I even tried deleting it, renaming the theme folder to ABC, copying it back in...BB sees ABC theme but when I apply it I get Default theme displayed. I tried all the views available and they are all the Default theme views.

Also, just for grins I just tried to install (download) another theme that I didn't already have..I picked Pulse and Aeon Nox and both downloaded/installed fine and I can switch to them with no problems.

Somehow BB has gotten hung up so that a theme that I just copy into the Themes folder, no matter what it is named...gets the Default theme displayed. 

I also went back to my workstation and pulled up VROOM in BB and it pulls up/works fine. So, I copied it from the workstation to the racing rig and still the same...Default view shows when VROOM is selected...at a loss..

13 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Are you sure your theme isnt just broken? When a theme, or a view in the theme is broken the default is shown instead, so it sounds to me like your theme simply doesnt work so are getting the default theme as a fallback.

Well, that's the thing. The theme displays/works fine on my workstation in BB. So I delete the theme from my racing rig and copy over a fresh copy of the theme folder from the workstation and...it displays Default theme if I select it. Both the workstation and racing rig are on BB 13.1.

10 minutes ago, PiperCalls said:

Well, that's the thing. The theme displays/works fine on my workstation in BB. So I delete the theme from my racing rig and copy over a fresh copy of the theme folder from the workstation and...it displays Default theme if I select it. Both the workstation and racing rig are on BB 13.1.

Hmm, did you code any hard paths to things in the theme that may not be available due to different path structures on the two different PC's?

12 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

Hmm, did you code any hard paths to things in the theme that may not be available due to different path structures on the two different PC's?

Well, not directly. There are some refs to things for the background but they are contained in a subfolder in the theme folder that I copied over.

For instance, I have an image called "Flag" that sits in the theme folder at VROOM/Media/Background and is used as an image in the background layer but the asset is there on the racing rig.

I have maybe 5 things that are ref'd like that but that couldn't be the issue right? Otherwise the theme would only be usable on the PC that it was dev'd on.

Ok, I got it fixed...but still not sure what the root cause was.

I installed CTC on my racing rig, copied the VROOM theme into the projects folder and published the theme directly to BB on the racing cab. Now the VROOM theme shows up and displays correctly when chosen as the theme.

Maybe something with the way CTC "communicates" it's info to BB...idk...I'm not going to look at it too hard for fear it might break again lol.

Thanks for the help!