LaunchBox Community Forums

Mame_UI/Flip disk - Using retroarch with mame core (Apple II)

Adelyan

Hello,

I am using the mame core to run my Apple II roms (mameset using hash file). For some games, there are multiple files in the zip archive.

So I need to swap file during the game but i can't find a way to switch disk with retroarch. Using mame standalone you are able to use the tabulation key and then select the second disk...

How can I manage the same with retroarch ? I have also tried to add the parameter -ui_active but then the game wont start with the error "[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames."

My current parameters : "apple2e -flop1" . Using "apple2e -ui_active -flop1" brings the error message above...

Thank you

1 hour ago, Adelyan said:

Hello,

I am using the mame core to run my Apple II roms (mameset using hash file). For some games, there are multiple files in the zip archive.

So I need to swap file during the game but i can't find a way to switch disk with retroarch. Using mame standalone you are able to use the tabulation key and then select the second disk...

How can I manage the same with retroarch ? I have also tried to add the parameter -ui_active but then the game wont start with the error "[INFO] [Video]: Does not have enough samples for monitor refresh rate estimation. Requires to run for at least 4096 frames."

My current parameters : "apple2e -flop1" . Using "apple2e -ui_active -flop1" brings the error message above...

Thank you

even if running a MAME core in Retroarch you can still access the MAME menu with TAB which is the default button, or use the button you have alternatively assigned to bring up the MAME menu if you changed it. so if it works in standalone MAME, by theory you should have no problem doing the same with the MAME Retroarch core

Retroarch menu comes up with a F1 key press by default

Since those are MAME parameters they will not work with Retroarch. You will always get an error trying to do something like that.

7 hours ago, skizzosjt said:

even if running a MAME core in Retroarch you can still access the MAME menu with TAB which is the default button, or use the button you have alternatively assigned to bring up the MAME menu if you changed it. so if it works in standalone MAME, by theory you should have no problem doing the same with the MAME Retroarch core

Retroarch menu comes up with a F1 key press by default

Since those are MAME parameters they will not work with Retroarch. You will always get an error trying to do something like that.

Thank you for your answer, it is weird because the TAB key does not work for both (with mame core or mame standalone using the apple2e system parameter). For the mame core I can bypass the issue by using the additional parameter -ui_active (then the TAB key works). But with mame core under Retroarch I can't find any solution to bring the mame menu...

• Like 1

I don't use the Retroarch MAME core with software lists, but I think what skizzosjt is saying is adding the -ui_active on the command line is passed to Retroarch, not the MAME core.

So you would have to enable that option in mame.ini (which should be in the Retroarch/System/MAME directory somewhere) and you may also have to enable the read configuration option in the MAME core options.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Adelyan said:

Thank you for your answer, it is weird because the TAB key does not work for both (with mame core or mame standalone using the apple2e system parameter). For the mame core I can bypass the issue by using the additional parameter -ui_active (then the TAB key works). But with mame core under Retroarch I can't find any solution to bring the mame menu...

I looked at what that parameter does, and....I've never used the software stuff either, so I'm really only familiar with the sort of arcade use of MAME. taking a stab in the dark I could guess it is a good idea to enable it for computer systems. like it sort of changes how the computers "emulated keyboard" receives inputs, whether it goes to the "emulated keyboard" (would send the inputs to the emulated Apple II system) or to MAME (also sends inputs to the emulator, in order to use the menu/UI). so maybe when you hit TAB without that parameter it's being sent to the emulated keyboard instead of MAME to activate the menu.......just thinking out loud here lol

so I don't know how to help further, but I think that might offer an explanation on what is going on. I do think HeadRush69 is correct too since that was what I meant, you could not use that parameter in Retroarch because you're mixing up program A's parameters (MAME) by trying to using them in program B (Retroarch), you would instead need to place those option values into the appropriate ini

here's a bit from the MAME docs

image.thumb.png.a6c07840240ff7cb0296f082d45584c1.png

Edited by skizzosjt

If Retroarch-MAME (vs standalone MAME) has a mame.ini somewhere, as stated you should be able to set ui_active to 1 (1=on, 0=off).  In standalone MAME's mame.ini, it's located under the CORE INPUT OPTIONS.

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
ui_active  1

Alternatively, if the RA MAME core acts like standalone MAME, you can press Scroll-Lock [key] to toggle the emulated keyboard during emulation.

i.e.  Press Scroll-Lock, then you can press Tab to access the MAME menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeViking245 said:

If Retroarch-MAME (vs standalone MAME) has a mame.ini somewhere, as stated you should be able to set ui_active to 1 (1=on, 0=off).  In standalone MAME's mame.ini, it's located under the CORE INPUT OPTIONS.

#
# CORE INPUT OPTIONS
#
ui_active  1

Alternatively, if the RA MAME core acts like standalone MAME, you can press Scroll-Lock [key] to toggle the emulated keyboard during emulation.

i.e.  Press Scroll-Lock, then you can press Tab to access the MAME menu.

Thank you, it works using the scroll-lock method !!

• Game On 1