LaunchBox Community Forums

Launchbox auto installs RetroArch cores

GlassMonolith

6 minutes ago, GlassMonolith said:

Absolutely awful. Granted, I'm sure the cores don't take up really any space, but it's obnoxious having to scroll through a list of 100 emulators I won't use for the 3 I will.

i agree and don't use the feature because of that.

Nope. I DID update it originally in LB which caused it initially. But now it just keeps happening regardless of me updating it. I've actually uninstalled/reinstalled RetroArch like 6 times due to other issues I was troubleshooting and I STILL have it totally repopulate the core list after opening Launchbox. All I'm doing in LB is updating rom lists.

9 hours ago, GlassMonolith said:

Nope. I DID update it originally in LB which caused it initially. But now it just keeps happening regardless of me updating it. I've actually uninstalled/reinstalled RetroArch like 6 times due to other issues I was troubleshooting and I STILL have it totally repopulate the core list after opening Launchbox. All I'm doing in LB is updating rom lists.

when importing a game you need to uncheck the option that says something like "download RetroArch core if missing". meaning this can happen each time you import a new game that uses Retroarch. I would be suspect something else is going on if you're trying to say just opening LB does this and creates the problem for you. opening the frontend does not prompt anything to be automatically downloaded (with the exception of if you have auto updates selected, and all that does is update LB, not Retroarch or it's cores)

I agree it's poor implementation, really it's just poor communication since the notice is misleading/confusing

The reason behind this is because in the repo that we get the cores from ALL cores are shoved in the same zip file. We cannot grab a single core, and since you've already spent the bandwidth downloading them, we put them in there so they can at least be used down the line if you choose to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, C-Beats said:

The reason behind this is because in the repo that we get the cores from ALL cores are shoved in the same zip file. We cannot grab a single core, and since you've already spent the bandwidth downloading them, we put them in there so they can at least be used down the line if you choose to.

that certainly explains it. the current way it is communicated it to users is flawed and needs to be more clear as you are making it here with your explanation. a simple change to that text in the import wizard "download all RetroArch cores if required core is missing" would get the job done in my opinion. just something that implies you're getting all the cores rather than a single core

• Like 1

On 3/13/2023 at 9:40 AM, C-Beats said:

I mean, it feels like a somewhat unnecessary feature. Understanding now why it's grabbing the entire library makes it feel even more like it's over-reaching. I could just go into RetroArch and set these things up vs. having LB try and commandeer it in a non-overt way.

My complications however are now furthered by having to make an account over on the Libretro forums for a different issue. They're telling me that the issue I'm having (controller mapping is jumping all over the place when launching two specific emulators default installed through LB) is probably being configure-overriden by LB. I literally have not messed with settings for these emulators in either RA or LB, and I know LB doesn't actually have controller config so that makes even less sense as-to their explanation for it.