LaunchBox Community Forums

Box Art not always showing up

Orionsangel

Ever since the 13.6 update Launchbox is not always showing box art. For example if roms are imported some of the games don't have box art. That's common as it can't always find every box art cover. No, problem. I'll  just add it myself in edit and then scrape it. When I do the box art doesn't appear in Launchbox. I then have to manually add the game and when I do and then scrape the box art then appears. Anyone know what's going on? It wasn't like this before the update. I uploaded an example video.

13 hours ago, Orionsangel said:

Ever since the 13.6 update Launchbox is not always showing box art. For example if roms are imported some of the games don't have box art. That's common as it can't always find every box art cover. No, problem. I'll  just add it myself in edit and then scrape it. When I do the box art doesn't appear in Launchbox. I then have to manually add the game and when I do and then scrape the box art then appears. Anyone know what's going on? It wasn't like this before the update. I uploaded an example video.

You likely can resolve that with a "refresh" (not sure if that is the proper term for the task). If you highlight the game or games and then press F5 things should straighten themselves out. Sometimes I need to press it more than once, or I need to leave the currently selected platform then return to it for the change to be seen. This assumes the images actually exist still in your images folder. There shouldn't be a need to do any reimporting or rescraping as you or the video described, as that would only be required if the game entry doesn't exist or the image doesn't already exist in your images folder

• Like 1

I tried refreshing it doesn't work. It's strange because everything is in the right location to show the box art. The box art is even shown inside of edit and you can view it there. It just doesn't want to display it. I have to manually add a game and then it displays the box art. It could just be me or the update, but I haven't ran into anyone else having this issue. I can't add my own box art either. Normally If I can't find box art I add it myself to the box front directory and it displays the box art, but not anymore. 

2 hours ago, Orionsangel said:

I tried refreshing it doesn't work. It's strange because everything is in the right location to show the box art. The box art is even shown inside of edit and you can view it there. It just doesn't want to display it. I have to manually add a game and then it displays the box art. It could just be me or the update, but I haven't ran into anyone else having this issue. I can't add my own box art either. Normally If I can't find box art I add it myself to the box front directory and it displays the box art, but not anymore. 

OK so sounds like you know how all that stuff is connected then. What you describe does sound strange! If closing and reopening LaunchBox doesn't do anything either, then this possibly could be a bug. Not being able to select an image on your PC instead of using one of the images from the database that is downloaded through LB sounds even more frustrating in my opinion (I use many custom images). You could try reinstalling v13.5 over your current setup to rollback to v13.5 and see if the issues goes away? If it does go away, then you would have to reinstall v13.6 over that v13.5 instance to make sure that the issue returns in v13.6. That would prove the program version is related to the issue. Or make a separate instance of v13.6 and setup just one system to see if the issue continues or not? If it goes away that might prove you had a funny setting giving you issues, as settings would have returned to defaults on a fresh separate install of the program. I haven't been doing the betas the last couple versions so I'm not sure if anyone else has reported similar issues but those would be good troubleshooting steps to narrow down some variables.  I have not experienced this issue, but I'm still on v13.5. 

I have having the same problem.  I have found you can go into the Images configuration and assign the image you want to display as "Box - Front" but since there is no way to mass set this on multiple at the same time... this is not a feasible workaround.  One would think that there would be a pecking order to which images get displayed if there is no "Box - Front" picture.  I have considered writing a PowerShell script to move the missing ones into the folder... but I hate doinking with items under the hood when they are supposed to be managed by the Front End for us.

Wonder if they need someone to just do TLC on the front end for Quality of Life issues.  I can think of several improvements to add already.

I got to try all that. Great idea guys. Oh, one thing also I noticed is that some games are using the rom name rather than the title name in the box art display. Even if you edit the title or rom name it has no effect. Hopefully the next update can correct all of it?

UPDATE The rom name appears in version. I removed it and now the title is right.

pic.png

Image.jpg

Edited by Orionsangel

So I deleted the image I don't want from the appropriate box front folder and put the image of the box art I want there. Yet the image that I deleted keeps appearing as the display in the menu. It's strange because the image I want is displaying in the edit image section and in full screen, but it won't show the image in the menu display. I refreshed and turned Launchbox off and on and there's nothing you can do. The image is stubborn. Should I revert to the prior version of Launchbox?

Edited by Orionsangel

8 hours ago, Orionsangel said:

So I deleted the image I don't want from the appropriate box front folder and put the image of the box art I want there. Yet the image that I deleted keeps appearing as the display in the menu. It's strange because the image I want is displaying in the edit image section and in full screen, but it won't show the image in the menu display. I refreshed and turned Launchbox off and on and there's nothing you can do. The image is stubborn. Should I revert to the prior version of Launchbox?

Joe or someone would be able to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all the images that display in LaunchBox's categories/platforms/playlists are sized down cached versions of the full size image. the full size image is what is displayed when you use the "view image" button to see it in full screen. the refresh button is supposed to, well, refresh that cache folder so it would update the image to the new image you assigned. something is being stubborn for sure if it doesn't update when you have tried I think every step I've ever had to take to get an image to refresh. 

reinstalling a previous version over the current one is an easy troubleshooting step, in my opinion. you can then return to 13.6 by reinstalling that version over the install again if you want to return to it. doing reinstalls over an existing install will not impact your settings or library

12 minutes ago, skizzosjt said:

Joe or someone would be able to correct me if I am wrong, but I believe all the images that display in LaunchBox's categories/platforms/playlists are sized down cached versions of the full size image. the full size image is what is displayed when you use the "view image" button to see it in full screen. the refresh button is supposed to, well, refresh that cache folder so it would update the image to the new image you assigned. something is being stubborn for sure if it doesn't update when you have tried I think every step I've ever had to take to get an image to refresh. 

reinstalling a previous version over the current one is an easy troubleshooting step, in my opinion. you can then return to 13.6 by reinstalling that version over the install again if you want to return to it. doing reinstalls over an existing install will not impact your settings or library

I did reinstall 13.6 and it didn't work. I haven't though reverted to the previous update. I should try that.

Okay, I figured out how to get the images to show. Make sure that the box art you're adding is already in the directory before adding a new game. Then the artwork will display itself. If you add a game and then afterward put the artwork in the directory it won't display the artwork.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

Make sure that the box art you're adding is already in the directory before adding a new game. Then the artwork will display itself.

Thanks for this solution, I had the same problem.

Edited by ultrez