LaunchBox Community Forums

Community Theme Creator keeps closing

@Jass_167 what did you change regarding the condition? I made the mistake once of making "Beat 'em Up" as a color condition and it messed up CTC like you describe, constantly would crash, it was unusable. the problem with my example is the program apparently does not like the single quote character ' in the condition. so I had to manually edit this out then CTC would finally run.

there should be a backup file too by the way. file name is the same but with .bak extension rather than .txt

potentially could just delete the file giving the problem and then use the backup file

I mention this thinking maybe you used a character the program doesn't like too?

I am trying to get elements to not be viewed on playlist and I think I did something like text 4-1 hidden when Elment is no value. But it didn’t work so I was tinkering and put to be hidden when it needs to be hidden and keeps crashing. Where can I find the back file?

7 hours ago, Knowcontrol said:

Try no dash -

As mentioned, special characters cause it fits, even in folder names.

the misleading bit of this issue is that a dash/hyphen or a single quote are not technically special characters, at least not in the traditional sense the OS (Windows) would consider as such. so it wasn't initially obvious to me that is what did it. I knew my edit caused it due to happening immediately after clicking OK to save the condition, but took me a moment to connect the dots it was specifically just that one character that was the issue

in my case I could make a condition that went across two lines as a work around, for ex

Color ABC if genre contains "Beat" AND contains "em Up"

That way the ' character is never used but still searches for the intended genre(s)

10 hours ago, Jass_167 said:

I am trying to get elements to not be viewed on playlist and I think I did something like text 4-1 hidden when Elment is no value. But it didn’t work so I was tinkering and put to be hidden when it needs to be hidden and keeps crashing. Where can I find the back file?

/My Theme Projects/NAME OF YOUR THEME

not saying this is the exact view you may need to edit, just showing the in use file, and the previous save backup file live in the same folder

image.thumb.png.ff6c84372dfb9930c51cf1c800965b35.png

to clarify for full transparency. when I had my issue I was using a color condition and it is part of "smart binding" profile at that. that file is saved in the /My Theme Projects/Conditions folder so I had to edit it out of that particular file

since you are working with a visibility condition on a specific view, you need to alter that specific view file. since the backup is exactly just that, the previous existing save, and assuming you have been unable to save over it since making your mistake, the backup should be in working condition. the only way the backup file would be complete F'd is if you somehow managed to save that view again since making the issue as that would mean the issue is now populated in both the .txt and .bak version of the file

if your backup file is F'd you would need to search within the .txt view file and remove the character or the entire condition

and this is of course assuming we are even going down the right path that the visibility condition is even the culprit....sure sounds like it....but who knows