LaunchBox Community Forums

Retroarch Mame loading some config but where from?

Enlighted17

I am currently using launchbox in combination with retroArch to run mame (yes I know, native mame is better 😁)

The problem I have, is that the default controls for mame are changed by me (found in the saves/mame directory of retroarch) but now games I started up earlier don't use this default configuration, even if the config file in that same directory (saves/name) is deleted.

Games I didn't start before are ok so there must be some kind of configuration elsewhere.

No config files can be found and I am at loss, I have looked everywhere I think.

Anyone have some idea of how to reset these games to load the default again?

Thanks!

Edited by Enlighted17

• Enlighted17 changed the title to Retroarch Mame loading some config but where from?
On 9/15/2023 at 1:41 PM, Enlighted17 said:

Too bad, it is set to the saves/name/cfg directory but it is still loading something different than stated in the default configuration 

Verify the following two files in the ..\Retroarch\config\MAME\ directory (make backups first!):

MAME.CFG has this entry:

game_specific_options = "true"

Then your MAME.opt file located in same path above has this:

mame_mame_paths_enable = "enabled"
mame_read_config = "enabled"
mame_saves = "game"

On 9/21/2023 at 2:41 AM, sundogak said:

Verify the following two files in the ..\Retroarch\config\MAME\ directory (make backups first!):

MAME.CFG has this entry:

game_specific_options = "true"

Then your MAME.opt file located in same path above has this:

mame_mame_paths_enable = "enabled"
mame_read_config = "enabled"
mame_saves = "game"

Will try that soon thanks!

On 9/21/2023 at 3:09 AM, lessthanzero33 said:

Try this; go to input assignments and go to general first and change your controls there and then go to this system and change it there. For some strange reason that worked for me. 

Well if I do that, then for that system it is ok but others seem to still default to the 'unfindable' configuration.

3 hours ago, Enlighted17 said:

Will try that soon thanks!

Well if I do that, then for that system it is ok but others seem to still default to the 'unfindable' configuration.

Are you able to delete the default.cfg in this path/Retroarch/Saves/MAME/cfg folder?, if so, delete it and try what i suggested again. Configure the inputs in general first and then go immediately to this system and change the inputs there. Hopefully it works.

4 hours ago, lessthanzero33 said:

Are you able to delete the default.cfg in this path/Retroarch/Saves/MAME/cfg folder?, if so, delete it and try what i suggested again. Configure the inputs in general first and then go immediately to this system and change the inputs there. Hopefully it works.

I thought I have done that before but not sure anymore so I will go try that tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, Enlighted17 said:

Took me somewhat longer, sorry. Sadly enough it still did not work out.

This is the main reason i advise against retroarch for mame, the control situation is a mess if you dont like the defaults, you have both mame and retroarch fighting over control and changing things often just doesnt work. Stick to standalone mame which has excellent control support.

I did some more digging but in a different direction.

For me, the controls were good for some games automatically but for others not at all.

Inside MAME itself you could see that where I had my default for player 1 button 1 set to a key, there was Joy A behind it.

For other games it was the same key but with Joy Y behind it for some reason.

Searching for something similar brought me to a Reddit post telling to fix this you should turn off the core option named 'profile buttons according to game'.

I did that, cleaned up all my configs including the default, setup the general keys and presto, it works!

Hope this helps anyone coming across the same problem!