LaunchBox Community Forums

Unable to match Metal Slug with games database

Zodiark12

Hey everyone. Going through my MAME set in launchbox to make sure everything is matched properly and was surprised to find Metal Slug (mslug.zip) didn't have any metadata and media downloaded. Ended up finding out that the game didn't find any match in the games database. Of course it exist and when I try to match it it just doesn't find it. Doing a search for "Metal Slug" only brings out Metal Slug 2 and two times Metal Slug X. All the other title in the series did match properly however.

image_2023-11-09_112406948.png

29 minutes ago, Zodiark12 said:

Hey everyone. Going through my MAME set in launchbox to make sure everything is matched properly and was surprised to find Metal Slug (mslug.zip) didn't have any metadata and media downloaded. Ended up finding out that the game didn't find any match in the games database. Of course it exist and when I try to match it it just doesn't find it. Doing a search for "Metal Slug" only brings out Metal Slug 2 and two times Metal Slug X. All the other title in the series did match properly however.

image_2023-11-09_112406948.png

Try the alternate name on the database page, i wanna say it was renamed Metal Slug at some point, but my memory is a little hazy.

https://gamesdb.launchbox-app.com/games/details/37606-metal-slug

At first glance it looks like something may have happened to the Metal Slug game entry that used to be under the Arcade Platform. The one you are linking to @neil9000 seems to be under the SNK Neo Geo MVS platform, which would break future scraping of this game for anyone importing into the Arcade platform. It's possible someone moved the game to the different platform at some point, which would break scraping in this way.

We'll investigate this and see what the best way moving forward will be.

In the meantime, @Zodiark12, you'll need to switch the Platform to SNK Neo Geo MVS, then do the Title lookup. Once you link the game up with the ID, switch the Platform back to Arcade, and press OK.

13 minutes ago, faeran said:

At first glance it looks like something may have happened to the Metal Slug game entry that used to be under the Arcade Platform. The one you are linking to @neil9000 seems to be under the SNK Neo Geo MVS platform, which would break future scraping of this game for anyone importing into the Arcade platform. It's possible someone moved the game to the different platform at some point, which would break scraping in this way.

We'll investigate this and see what the best way moving forward will be.

In the meantime, @Zodiark12, you'll need to switch the Platform to SNK Neo Geo MVS, then do the Title lookup. Once you link the game up with the ID, switch the Platform back to Arcade, and press OK.

Ah, good catch. Yeah ideally that would be in Arcade only, i see there is a separate entry in the AES platform as that was the home console version, so no issues there. I'm assuming the same game entry cant be in two platforms correct? so it couldn't be in MVS and Arcade at the same time, it needs to be just Arcade?

12 minutes ago, Zodiark12 said:

Using the alternate name I was able to match it to the MVS title. The game was already using the alternate name but it didn't match by default. I assume it's based on the fact that the alternate name was for MVS, AES, Saturn and PSX instead of Arcade?

Yeah as Faeran noticed it seems to of had its platform changed on the database from arcade to MVS, and as you titled your platform Arcade, as is default it couldnt find the correct game. The database is user contributed and approved, so this change was approved it seems when it should of been rejected, as changing it to MVS omits it from the Arcade search. As Faeran said, they will look into it.

1 hour ago, neil9000 said:

Ah, good catch. Yeah ideally that would be in Arcade only, i see there is a separate entry in the AES platform as that was the home console version, so no issues there. I'm assuming the same game entry cant be in two platforms correct? so it couldn't be in MVS and Arcade at the same time, it needs to be just Arcade?

Yeah, one game one platform.

Could just manually duplicate the games between them, since it's correct for them to be in both platforms, but I don't think that's the smartest answer, but it's one the community could do in the meantime. We'll discuss internally how we can more handle this situation better so things don't just break down due to a decision made by the community.

Just now, faeran said:

Yeah, one game one platform.

Could just manually duplicate the games between them, since it's correct for them to be in both platforms, but I don't think that's the smartest answer, but it's one the community could do in the meantime. We'll discuss internally how we can more handle this situation better so things don't just break down due to a decision made by the community.

This may sound controversial, but couldnt a game be "locked in" at the point of acceptance, and at that point need a far higher accepts to rejects to "unlock it" so to speak in order to change important aspects like platform?

2 minutes ago, neil9000 said:

This may sound controversial, but couldnt a game be "locked in" at the point of acceptance, and at that point need a far higher accepts to rejects to "unlock it" so to speak in order to change important aspects like platform?

Yeah, we've talked about it internally, but that requires a good amount of dev time, and then time to brew and see how it plays out. Then probably a good amount of tweaking.

That may be one direction we want to get to eventually and is definitely on the table for future revisions of the database.

4 minutes ago, faeran said:

Yeah, we've talked about it internally, but that requires a good amount of dev time, and then time to brew and see how it plays out. Then probably a good amount of tweaking.

Oh agreed, never said it would be a easy step :)

Edited by neil9000