LaunchBox Community Forums

Some games run fine in Daphneloader, but won't from Launchbox

stevaside

EDIT: Thanks to a quick response below, 4 out of the 5 games I originally posted about work, but Roadblaster has no sound. Only happens when opened in Launchbox, otherwise the sound is present in Daphneloader

The past week or so I have been dealing with the massive headache that is getting laserdisc emulation set up (Both Hypseus Singe & Daphne)  & I'm now down [UPDATE: to one single issue] :down to pretty much 5 issues left:

-Dragon's Lair 1, Dragon's Lair 2, Space Ace & Thayer's Quest all run fine in Daphneloader, but give me errors trying to play them in Launchbox.

-Roadblaster has no sound when opened from Launchbox, but does from Daphneloader

I ran into the thread on here about Daphne issues & copied the daphnebatch.bat file shared there into the daphne directory like advised & followed the rom/emulation setup in LB. All other games work except those (But I did have to rename galaxyr.txt to galaxy.txt & rb.txt to roadblaster.txt as I also saw mentioned on here to get those to run at all.  Like I said, no sound on Roadblaster though

Attached is some of the error messages. I really don't understand how it can say rom files requiring games to run are missing considering I have no issue playing them in Daphneloader itself

Appreciate any help

dl.png

dl2.png

space.png

tq.png

Edited by stevaside

make sure daphne emulator is not running before a game is launched in bigbox or lauchbox, I had the rom error in the past and it was because daphne was running in the backround and I didnt realize it. 

Most places you get these games come with the bat file to make starting the game easy regardless of where it is installed.  

when i add these games i just "add a game"  and uncheck use an emulator and just select the bat file for the application path.

its super simple once you figure it out.

1 hour ago, keithhov said:

make sure daphne emulator is not running before a game is launched in bigbox or lauchbox, I had the rom error in the past and it was because daphne was running in the backround and I didnt realize it. 

Most places you get these games come with the bat file to make starting the game easy regardless of where it is installed.  

when i add these games i just "add a game"  and uncheck use an emulator and just select the bat file for the application path.

its super simple once you figure it out.

Well, 4 out of 5 are now working, thanks! I tried renaming the Dragon's Lair file & that worked, the rest were a matter of having Daphneloader open at the same time as LB like you said. Woulda never guessed that

Roadblaster still has no sound when ran from Launchbox though. Cannot figure that out

44 minutes ago, stevaside said:

Well, 4 out of 5 are now working, thanks! I tried renaming the Dragon's Lair file & that worked, the rest were a matter of having Daphneloader open at the same time as LB like you said. Woulda never guessed that

Roadblaster still has no sound when ran from Launchbox though. Cannot figure that out

Your Daphne log file almost always will give clue as to what is going on. It should be in same folder as your exe.  You should double check you have complete VLDP set (video and audio files in VLDP folder).  The OGG file (typically this format) is the sound and needs to be exactly the same name as the M2v file (video).  If missing, not named the same, or an OGG file from different version of the m2V file then will get no sound. 

Screenshot2024-01-08233734.png.3062cfa14050de36307b2899b2894ea8.png

Edited by sundogak

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, sundogak said:

Your Daphne log file almost always will give clue as to what is going on. It should be in same folder as your exe.  You should double check you have complete VLDP set (video and audio files in VLDP folder).  The OGG file (typically this format) is the sound and needs to be exactly the same name as the M2v file (video).  If missing, not named the same, or an OGG file from different version of the m2V file then will get no sound. 

Screenshot2024-01-08233734.png.3062cfa14050de36307b2899b2894ea8.png

Yea I've had the m2v & ogg in there the whole time. I even tried renaming them to "roadblaster.m2v" & "roadblaster.ogg" instead of "rb" along with the corresponding text in the game's batch file, but it still did nothing. I never get an error message, the game starts but with no sound. But it does have sound when I use Daphneloader instead of Launchbox, So that tells me I have the correct files, I'd think

Edited by stevaside

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Sbaby said:

@stevaside

I switched from Daphne to Hypseus some time ago and am doing well, I recommend it

https://github.com/DirtBagXon/hypseus-singe

Yea I mentioned I recently added Singe & Daphne both. I originally planned to switch to Singe altogether, but I couldn't find one shred of info online about how to set up Daphne games in it. Only Hypseus 2 games which is what I wound up using it for

Edited by stevaside